Right rear bearing hub replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2023 | 08:08 PM
|
Veteran Member
Angry Right rear bearing hub replacement

Per this thread post =
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-sound-272957/
Ordered new right rear bearing hub per guidance from Thermo. Tried shopping local mechanics and they were all within a few dollars of each other to replace the bearing hub. They were all about $460 USD!
NONE of them would let me buy the part and install it. So, I got one from Wal-Mart that was fulfilled by partsgeek. Odd that I could buy it through Wal-Mart for less than from partsgeek themselves.
After getting the part, began replacement at 9:00 this past Saturday morning. As usual everything that can/could go badly in this process reared it's ugly head. Disassembly was begun and tire = easy. The HUB bolts NOT! All rusty from age and salty winter roads. The other challenge is the T50 TORX heads, I couldn't get at with a socket driven TORX from my existing tools. The larger hole to insert the drive socket was too small in diameter to fit the socket through the hole. Bought another set from Harbor Freight and they too at the drive socket head were too big to get through the hole. Ok......returned and bought another TORX set that came with assorted long shaft TORX bits with a single drive socket that you could interchange the bits. CAREFULLY removed the hub back bolts after brass wire brushing the bolt heads and lightly hammer tapping the bits into the bolt heads before trying to turn them out. Also had PB Blasted them and all the other parts to be removed. Got them all out.
Now the brake caliper is next. To get to the bolt heads on the inboard side, I needed to remove the emergency brake assembly. Not hard other than the sping shot off 15 feet away. As for the caliper bolts, they had been torqued in so tightly that I stripped the bolt head on the top one trying to remove it. No freaking reason to torque those bolts in that tight. Bottom one, I got to break loose. OK, back to Harbor Freight and bought an extractor set to get off the stripped (rounded) bolt head. (Sigh).
Before removing the caliper, put a bit of pressure with a tool to the brake pads to ease them off the disk to make reinstalling easier. Hung the caliper with a piece of wire out of the way. Next, removed the speed sensor, easy.
Next comes the main wheel bearing hub. It's 32mm. Damn not one big enough. Back to Harbor Freight to buy a single 32mm impact type (for strength) socket. Put it on nut, with a 3 foot 1/2" drive solid pry bar socket wrench. NOT easy, it's torqued on at 190+ foot pounds for a reason. Got it off.
Now to take the hub off the axle spline. Won't budge. Big hammer and center punch (you never want to hit the spline with a hammer), only the axle "dimple" and beat myself silly. No movement. Okay, I know they make a tool (like for FWD) cars to press the hub off the spline. Go to AutoZone to rent (they charge you retail then refund on return the tool price) the tool. Put it on and start cranking in the center push rod on the axle spline. Half way up the bolt it quits pressing. Wtf? Inspecting the bolt, it's been stripped. Great. Back to AutoZone to get another kit. Come back and begin again. I got it as far as I could and could turn it no more. Asked a male neighbor to help me and we both cranked on the solid drive bar until it still wouldn't turn with the both of us. ****!! Got so bad I thought we'd break the removal tool! PB Blasted the hell out if it again leaving the pressure in place. Nothing! Now what? Try once more and the both of us put so much pressure on the pry bar we rock the car forward into front wheel blocks so hard, when we release, it rocks back and pops off the jack stands falling onto the pavement. Okay, bent the **** out of the brake dust plate but no major damage. Well it's freaking solid now, we crank on the removal tool some more = NOT A FRAKING TURN ON THE SCREW!! That's it for tonight it's now 9:00 PM.

Sunday at 9:30, start again.
Try cranking on the tool, still won't turn even one bit. It's been sitting all night PB Blasted to death. Try, spray, wait, crank, try, spray, wait, crank. No joy in mudville...
Leave it and go buy a Berns-O-matic butane torch. PB Blaster it again, heat the hub up like hell on a hot day and crank on the bar. SLOWLY, it begins to turn. So, heat, turn, heat, turn. Finally get it off = yay!!
​​Re-jack up the car, re-chock, and jack stand the car.

INSTALLING THE NEW HUB
Firstly, yes I checked the replacement part before stating this replacement.
Decided to replace the HUB 4 back installation bolts with better type ones. Another trip to find and purchase them. Found some TORX bolts that have a head on them that exactly fits into the recessed depression of the HUB and are the extra strong black ones. So these don't have the "domed" head of the OEM bolts. Like this look =

No matter what I try I cannot get the brake dust shield, hub assembly lined up and get a bolt started. Well the plate was bent pretty good when the car fell. I had thought I got it pretty much back to straight pounding the bends and dents out. Note here = know that the hub is not asymmetrical, the holes are in different areas although your brain goes 4 bolts 4 holes. Nope the HUB has a "top" and "bottom" side. Okay, patience wears out and on goes the HUB with no interior brake dust shield. Idc at this point. Torque the bolts in after easy setting them in. Re- install the center HUB nut, torque to specs. Now for the brake caliper, slides right on and bolts in. Torque bolt (yes bolt) to specs and tighten the distorted bolt (now in easier access bottom hole) as tight as possible the old shade tree mechanic way.
Next come emergency brake reassembly. The "bracket" is awkward but doable. Where's the nut for it? I have the two small hex head bolts, but can't find the nut for the emergency brake assembly. ****, ****, ****!!! Look for it EVERYWHERE 3 times. I'm beat, tired, in enormous pain from exertion and cancer pain...
I give up, sit for 15 minutes to calm my frustration because at this point I have created new, never to be duplicated combinations of profanity never heard by mankind. I look one more time and there in one of my 2 tool box removeable trays that I and my neighbor have inspected too many times to count lays the nut. I shake my head in disgust. LAST THING is the spring. It's a f*cking nightmare. And yup, you guessed it, it flies off into the darkness when trying the 6th time to install it. Look (by headlamp and flashlights) for over a half hour. All over the pavement, under the car, under other cars. No go, I'm dejected, deflated, tired, sore, in pain. Fk this s.o.b. car. Sit down on a stool next to the HUB, look inside the wheel well to see why a tube is sticking out. It's come out of the little place holder hole that the plastic tab pops into. Pop it in, move by feel to see if there's another anchor, right then left. WTF!!! There's the spring hanging on that tube out of sight. S.O.B., S.O.B.,S.O.B.!!!!!!!!
Okay drape a blue plastic tarp inside the tire well in case it flies off again. Finally get it installed. I can't feel my hands, legs, back, arms, only pain. Roll the tire over, set it, bolt it, and torque it.
DONE, DONE, DONE YOU AGRIEVATING P.O.S.!

Remove, stands, blocks, jack. She's setting on her paws once more. It's late. I'm bushed. Idc, we're going for a drive. Dark, hardly any traffic, she purrs like I remember her sounding a couple of years ago. Quiet, all I hear is road noise echoing from the trunk area because rear seats are still down. Wow, how funny how the sound snuck up and became "normal" until I noticed the silence doing the hard right long turn in Sardine Canyon. It's 11:30 Sunday night (puking sound).

She's back to her sneaky cat self once more.

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 10-04-2023 at 12:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dell Gailey:
h2o2steam (10-04-2023), JPM2001 (10-13-2023)
Old 10-03-2023 | 09:06 PM

Suddenly $460 sounds pretty good!

The following users liked this post:
Jeff Wallman (10-04-2023)
Old 10-03-2023 | 09:59 PM

Well done, Mate! I have experienced a few jobs that tested my patience somewhat and almost had me in tears. It's lucky I love my Jag, or it would have been off to the scrapyard. So good to hear it running so well, though.

The following users liked this post:
Jeff Wallman (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023 | 11:36 AM

Hang in there Dell, we've all been there and share the pain. At least some of it, kudos to you, man!
I remember once working on my - 96 Sebring conv. and losing one of the intake manifold bolts.. Found it two days later in the trashbin outside, after emptying the garage and finally spreading all the trash on the driveway.. It must have fallen in ther by mistake.
Wife was not so happy of me and I was only steps away of torching the damn car in my frustration.. I belive few more pages were written in the book of swears, my neighbor was impressed as well..
​​​​​​

I've dreamed for many years now, of a bigger garage and a lift, instead on my current shack, that's just big enough to work on one side and one end of the car at a time. Would make things alot easier, and would not have to live in fear when woking under the car when it's on jackstands. I have been close to dropping my cat from those things, too.
​​​​​​After one near miss, made a mental note to myself, and bought the more expensive ones next time I was at a local partstore.. Oh well, Maybe some day.
Anyway, I'm sure, that everyone here is grateful that you took the time to write down your experience, it'll propably help someone down the line. I know I am.

Old 10-04-2023 | 03:39 PM
Veteran Member

Well done Dell.......time to put your feet up for a day or two and let the knuckles heal!

P.S. If the new hub assembly also came with a new wheel sensor attached, take the sensor off you old hub and tuck it away for possible reuse later.

Old 10-07-2023 | 08:56 AM
Veteran member

Dell, your mis-adventures sound like what I tend to get wrapped up in. But, you fought through it and got it done. I have learned when installing something that can spring, attaching a small string to it and giving it 10 feet of string to move before you tie it somewhere is a good trick. Sure, it takes a moment to tie the string every time, but how much time do you spend looking for that part when you here it go "twang", bounce a few times behind you, and then disappears forever. Atleast this way, you have a string to follow to the part.

Old 10-07-2023 | 03:08 PM
|
Veteran Member

@Thermo oh sure, now you tell me! Great idea though...
Aren't you glad now you were tied up in Boise? =;~)

Old 10-08-2023 | 08:24 AM
Veteran member

Dell, I would have given you all the time that I could. I would have tried all the tricks that I know to get the hub free. Next time I am back out that way, I will make sure to get in touch with you before hand so plans can be made. See if there are other members in the area that would want to meet up for an afternoon or something of the like.

Old 10-08-2023 | 03:24 PM

I had to do both rear hub bearings shortly after purchase Dell, it wasn't much fun at all. I think 7 bolts came out fairly easily and the last took a couple of hours and was just so frustrating. It certainly took most of the day and I created a few new swear words..

Old 10-10-2023 | 07:56 PM
|
Veteran Member

Well, crap. If it's not one thing it's another. Drove the kitty to a bunch of doctors appointments today and damned if 45 Miles into it, she threw an ABS code for RR sensor. Gotta jack her up this next weekend and check it out if it's decent weather. Smh!

Old 10-10-2023 | 08:12 PM
Veteran Member

You might have had a speed sensor connector not quite seat down right when you fitted the new hub.
The dust/water seal within the connectors can make them resist full insertion due to trapped air pressure.

Did the new hub come complete with a new sensor, or did you have to transfer your original sensor over?
If the new hub came with sensor, did you also happen to keep the sensor from your old hub just in case?

Old 10-10-2023 | 08:17 PM
|
Veteran Member

And one more oddity. Fuel m.p.g. went from 24 (consistently) to 27 over 140+ miles today. Idk if it's related? Could it be the hub was rubbing and causing like a brake like result? Seems too strange to not be somehow related though.
When I removed the HUB, you could turn it fairly easy (not quite as easy as the new one) and it had no grinding or "failed/failing" ball bearing sound (shrugs). But she sure is quite now!

Old 10-10-2023 | 08:18 PM
|
Veteran Member

Ours have a separate sensor not on the HUB (because of AWD). Think the same as a FWD car.

Here's a poor video of where it's at, but gives you the idea.

I'm hoping I didn't muck up the reluctor ring with the effort getting off the HUB. Guess I'll find out when I get a chance to jack her up and crawl under again.

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 10-11-2023 at 01:16 AM.
Old 10-11-2023 | 03:31 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry Dell......The rear hub of my 2.1 has the sensor and reluctor ring incorporated, mine being FWD format ...hence my first thought.
If during the hub assembly replacement the drive shaft has enough freedom to allow a collision between the reluctor ring and wheel speed sensor, it is possible one or other has go damaged.

You know the process of removing the sensor to enable you to look down the sensor hole, rotate the hub to see if the reluctor ring has deformed or split.
If the ring looks fine, then you might be looking at a sensor failure instead.
Up to you whether it is worth the hassle of transferring a sensor from the other side over to see if the fault shifts with the sensor, or just outright ordering a new sensor if the ring appears to be physically intact.

Old 10-11-2023 | 06:02 PM
|
Veteran Member

Yeah, thought of that. It also disables cruise (boo hoo). Cold, nasty, raining today. Wait for weekend as it's a nuisance not a safety issue to take a look.

We're in the midst of Fall here =

Note the idiot in the bottom pic stopped across 2 lane 65 m.p.h. highway to take a picture out of his convertible. There's no fixing stupid...

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 10-11-2023 at 06:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dell Gailey:
h2o2steam (10-11-2023), JPM2001 (10-13-2023)
Old 10-11-2023 | 09:20 PM
Veteran Member

If he hangs around there for just a few more minutes.......I'm pretty sure stupid will definitely be fixed!

Old 10-11-2023 | 09:30 PM
|
Veteran Member

You know what the last thing is that goes through a bug's mind when he hits the windshield?

His ***, lol