X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which rotors and pads

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: Which rotors and pads

the red-stuff pads are noisy, but only under braking, if they're working properly.
That being said: I wish I had known that before I bought mine.
I'll be changing-out to the green pads soon. I hope they stop well, 'cuz the red-stuff pads completely transformed the way the car stops.

I have a brand new, still in the box, set of the EBC E35GD981, which are the slotted and dimpled version of the rotors. NOT DRILLED, just dimpled.
They're phenomenal, and look sharp too. It's what I'm using on my car.
I got stuck with a second set of them because of the stupidity of the folks at AutoPartsWarehouse.com. By they way: DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM APW!!
I'd be willing to let them go pretty cheap, if you're interested. Otherwise, they'll sit on my garage shelf and never get used.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

Cant fault my redstuff pads and slotted/dimpled discs.
No noise and great braking....its good to know youre gonna stop in plenty of time when you want to stop.
Great from cold.
Heard it may be the slots causing noise when braking hard as air gets dispelled along the slots, but didnt notice this on mine.
If you want good braking and brake dust go for greenstuff,if you want awesome braking and no brake dust go for redstuff...not much difference in price.
Next car (chippedX Type 2.2d Sovereign Estate) I get will have redstuff and the slotted/dimpled discsbefore any other modification....no question about that.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 02 x sport and i just did my rotors and pads. after much searching i ended up with regular OEM rotors from calif $35. each, and greenstuff pads, no probs at all.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member

The std pads (pre greenstuff)/discs had loads of meat on mine at 40k but NO stopping power to the point that they were dangerous.
Since Ive heard that Jag dealers over here (UK) are now supplying grenstuff (the ones that leave brake dust) as standard.
Go Redstuff no brake dust,great stopping from cold (yes, from cold) and last 6 times longer than non ceramics (like greenstuff).
Cant seeany reason to go for greenstuff only redstuff.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

ORIGINAL: paul11117606

I have a 02 x sport and i just did my rotors and pads. after much searching i ended up with regular OEM rotors from calif $35. each, and greenstuff pads, no probs at all.
Paul,

Please, tell us where you got OE rotors for $35!

Old 11-22-2008, 05:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You want to talk about brake dust, my X is loaded with it... I have never seen a car make so much brake dust in my life and the stopping power isn't that great either... I think I am going to swap my pads out - could you guys drop me a link to a worthy supplier? Thanks...

Old 11-22-2008, 06:53 PM

ORIGINAL: BuckMR2

Cant fault my redstuff pads and slotted/dimpled discs.
No noise and great braking....
so, I gotta wonder: why are they noisy on some but not on others?
If mine weren't making noise, I;d say the noisy ones got installed improperly....

Old 11-22-2008, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  6.3 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  6.4 KBName:  T15ESSST101-1.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  9.9 KBName:  tshirt03-2.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  6.0 KB

I installed the EBC Redstuff on mine with plain OEM rotors and noticed a huge difference
Heard lots of good things about them married up to the slotted / grooved rotors from EBC too!

Try EBCdirect

Good luck

Jim

Old 11-22-2008, 11:04 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

EBC dimpled and slotted with Akebono Euro pads...A match made in heaven..

Old 11-22-2008, 11:10 PM

ORIGINAL: tluckett
I have placed my order but it has not shipped yet so I am sure I could cancel.

I just really wanted to know what problem you had with APW?
see, that there's really funny.
My problem with APW is that I could not cancel my order!!!
Actually, that was only part of it.

You can read more about it here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_75424/tm.htm

I decided that I would rather pay 100% more next time, rather than order from them again. Yes, it really was that bad.

I'd sell these for $125 plus shipping... or some offer close to that.
But if you buy them before you cancel your order at APW, you'll end up in the same boat I'm in now! [8D]

Old 11-23-2008, 04:46 PM

Hi Mark, after a week of searching i decided to skip the slotted rotors and get regular ones that were much cheaper. dial up r1concepts.com and you'll find them, 4 new OE rotors and posiquiet ceramic pads, was $213.98. sent from orange county, about $40.00 of that was shipping. i got them all installed for $110.00. this was about 5-6k miles ago, stops just fine, no vibration at all even from speed, no brake dust.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I would highly recommend new calipers 4 piston or 6. The factory calipers do not provide enough grip. I never did a line pressure test to see the amount of hydraulic pressure applied to the rotors....but what i can tell you, it's not enough.

Getting the slotted/dimpled rotors is Purely a visual thing. Offers no stopping benefits. TRUST ME on this. lol

Old 11-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member

One thing about the X Type brakes...they were carried over directly from the Ford Mondeo which has no AWD and is a lighter car....probably OK for the Mondeo but the AWD X Type is heavier which probably explains why so many owners from forums I have read over the last 3.5 years of ownership find stock brakes poor.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:31 AM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: tluckett

So with the GreenStuff pads and Slotted rotors from EBC am I going to get alot of noise? and I agree part of the reason that I want the slotted rotors is for the look, but if they are going to make noise I might as well go with the OEM rotors.

The concern that I had with OEM is that the car currently has red stuff on the front from the previous owner and the rotors are warped and a couple mechanics told me that might be due to the fact that the rotors got to hot and warped?

I guess it makes sense I really cant think of any other reason other then I bought this car for my wife and she drives like a bat out of hell in the city, but I cant really cant do anything about that trust me I have tried.

I would never put an aftermarket pad on with stock rotors..this is just not a good match and could lead to major rotor wear due to the harder pad..the notion the slotted, dimpled and or drilled rotors are just for looks is just flat wrong..

These rotors are far superior than your stock rotors offering you a shorter stopping distance, resistance to brake fade, lower brake temperatures. What ever type of rotors you choose cross drilled rotors, slotted rotors, dimpled rotors or performance rotors you will notice the substantial improvement in your performance rotors upgrade on your car. What do Slotted rotors dimpled rotors and cross drilled rotors actually does on your car? Slotted rotors use the slots to clean off the brake pad giving the pad the maximum surface area to gain better stopping with your car. Using dimpled rotors and cross drilled rotors have similar traits, the main goal of the dimpled rotors and cross drilled rotors are to let heat and gases escape, allowing cooler rotors with better gripping power and less fadingfor stopping your car.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I'm on the pro - slotted/dimpled side of the fence. I have EBC slotted/dimps with Centric ceramic pads (cheaper than EBC) and the performance is excellent. I haven't measured distances, but the brake modulation feels superior with no fade and almost zero dust. A little bit of noise, typical of a ceramic pad, but nothing major. So far superior to OEM it's not funny. I do have EBC redstuffon my Jeep since I tow a lot, can't go wrong with them either.

When I did the upgrade, I also removed all of the brake fluid and replaced with ATE Super Blue. Even if you use just regular brake fluid, this is often and overlooked part of the job and is important for proper performance.

and yes, I must admit that they look much better than stock and I like it!

Old 11-24-2008, 08:14 PM

Hi Mark, let us all know how that works out. I think it depends how you drive also, if ones wife beats the **** out of your jag around town thats one thing, i'm never in a hurry really and drive like a old lady. so donts really needs no stinking drilled and slotted anything.

Quick Reply: Which rotors and pads