Sponsored by:

Which rotors and pads

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: Which rotors and pads

ORIGINAL: paul11117606

Hi Mark, let us all know how that works out. I think it depends how you drive also, if ones wife beats the **** out of your jag around town thats one thing, i'm never in a hurry really and drive like a old lady. so donts really needs no stinking drilled and slotted anything.
A kid could run out at anytime though

Old 11-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member

The manufacturers use of good appropriate steel (with plenty left on the discs too) did absolutely no good before I changed my discs (the dealer couldnt undertstand why the braking was poor yet the Jaguar pads and discs had"many thousands of miles left on them".Braking had to be done well in advance,distance to car infront increasedand speeds kept low in the odd instance when the car had to be used until the new brakes arrived)to the dimpled/slotted...it absolutely transformed the stopping.
Re should not be within 20 miles of a kid with hot brakes......an example...what if you have been horsing around empty country lanes or down long fast roads and your brakes get hot...you then enter a village and are within the speed limits and a kid runs out between 2 cars...I know I would stop MUCH quicker with my current brakes than I would in the crap standard discs that were on the car before the change.Even better with the virtually fade resistantceramicpads.
Next JagI get the first job no matter what is left on the brakes that it comes with will be to get theEBC Dimpled/Slotted discsand the ceramic pads.Peace of mind is priceless especially with a 12 year old son,wife who obviously is a bit older than that and a 13 month old baby girl, I woudnt sleep at night with standard discs/pads.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

not that avoiding running over small children is not of utmost concern, but I'm quite happy that my EBC's just produce waaaaaaay less brake dust to clean. Call me shallow.....

I agree with Buck, it is night and day, and it really is not an expensive upgrade at all. No brainer IMHO...

Old 11-28-2008, 11:57 AM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: Chris X

not that avoiding running over small children is not of utmost concern, but I'm quite happy that my EBC's just produce waaaaaaay less brake dust to clean. Call me shallow.....
That was my main motivation..Clean wheels

Old 11-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: bojangles

I still dont think that you need dimples or slots to stop well.
THe times when you are actually benefitting from the dimples or slots is when you would otherwise be overheated on flat rotors. if you are driving at the limit of the car.. in a situation where a kid's life depends on the small dimples on a disc.. then you are totally totally out of control. There is not one situation in driving on public roads where you would save a kid's life with a dimple.
Well if you want to start with the absolutes, as you have above, then I absolutely disagree. Your own admission is that the dimples and slots help "...when you would otherwise be overheated on flat rotors"
So lets say (just for the sake of debunking your own absolute) that you are traveling down a steep grade, following the speed limit, and you have several hundred yards of visibility. In front of you, a ball bounces into the street and child follows it. You step on the brakes and stop with plenty of time to spare. As you resume your travel, thankful that your brakes did their job, it happens again. You stop again. Moments later it happens again. Lets say it keeps happening. Lets say it keeps happening enough that your brakes get very hot.... and the last time, the only reason they work is because they've got dimples and slots.
I know this seems ridiculous, because it was meant to. I only want to illustrate that you cannot say on the one hand that something helps your brakes work better, and then on the other hand say there is no way you'd ever need that. Those two statements are, in all practicality, contradictory.

I am not saying your brakes are not great. I am saying that the reason they are great has nothing to do with the dimples. if the exact same rotor from EBC just without the dimples and slots. The ability of the pad to grip on the rotor would not be any different. (perhaps better on a continuous smooth disc)
Again, you contradict your statement from above, where you've stipulated that dimples and rotors help improve the brakes cooling ability. I would also argue your idea that a 'continuous smooth disc' might grip better. This seems to fly in the face of conventional wisdom, as well as practical engineering. Having additional 'edge' creates greater 'bite'. Not additional surface area.

I also bought my jag with brakes that were HORRIBLE... absolutely dangerous. just like you described. I changed the disc to drilled ones,,, and put red-stuff pads.
they were only slightly better. with the new pads and discs. I drove for an entire year thinking that the x type hasjust plain crappy brakes.
Then i gave it one more shot and bought factory pads and discs.

the transformation was unbelievable. the car now stops properly.

The point of this story is that you cant compare how a non-functioning brake set up works vs a well functioning set up.

If you want to make a fair comparison, then please drive a car with GOOD factory brakes compared to yours.
"only slightly better"..... that's not my own experience. And yes, I HAVE in fact driven a new one, with "properly working brakes".
I think you just like to argue, and you like to be right.
I can relate to both.
But I'll admit that I enjoy it more with you somehow. [sm=chairshot.gif]

Old 11-28-2008, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member

I think the reason that the standard Jagtype factory brakes are so poor is that they were taken straight over without any modification from the lighter Ford Mondeo Mk3 in which they worked.The X type is a much heavier car on introduction with awd but the brakes were from the lighterFWD Mondeo.
Maybe Jag changed to fitting greenstuff as std after concerns with original brakes, I dont knowand am only guessing and/or maybe after 2004 when they changed the design it was also related?
Maybe bojangles the factory replacements on yours werethe improved Jag (ebc) fitment brakes or maybe your car is a later than 2004 model??
[edited-spelled fed instead of fwd]

Old 11-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: McJaguar
Having additional 'edge' creates greater 'bite'. Not additional surface area.
McJaguar, as well as the additional bite, the slotted/dimpled discs actually do have a greater surface area.
The dimples are concaved thus providing extra surface areathan flat standard discs, and the edges of the grooves leading into the groove from the disc surface also add to the surface area that standard discs dont have, so giving bigger surface area and therefore more cooling.
Also the grooves lead right to the edge of the disc allowing hot air/gas to escapemore easily which also aids cooling, rather than be absorbedmore quickly into a flat disc.
[edited-added discs after dimpled]

Old 11-28-2008, 07:17 PM

ORIGINAL: BuckMR2

ORIGINAL: McJaguar
Having additional 'edge' creates greater 'bite'. Not additional surface area.
McJaguar, as well as the additional bite, the slotted/dimpled discs actually do have a greater surface area.
The dimples are concaved thus providing extra surface areathan flat standard discs, and the edges of the grooves leading into the groove from the disc surface also add to the surface area that standard discs dont have, so giving bigger surface area and therefore more cooling.
Also the grooves lead right to the edge of the disc allowing hot air/gas to escapemore easily which also aids cooling, rather than be absorbedmore quickly into a flat disc.
[edited-added discs after dimpled]
this is correct, if you are discussing surface area that is used in heat shed. But my point was in contrast to Bo's supposition that the standard fitment discs would be more efficient because they are a "continuous smooth disc", and therefore my comment was more to the point of surface area in contact with the pad.
My point remains true, with the addition of the excellent and accurate comments you've made.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:49 PM

okay... i'm editing a third time.
I can really be an A** sometimes.....
I have a saying I use alot: "Sometimes Mean is still Funny".
Unfortunately, the reverse is also true: "Sometimes Funny is still mean".

So:
my final edit on this reply:
Bo: please accept my humble apologies.... you are so right, as ever you are, and you know so much more than I could ever hope to..... even when your argument flies in the face of actual practical experience and recent brake engineering and technology.

I'll use my brakes, you use yours. And let's neither of us hit anybody... okay?

Old 11-29-2008, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member

Bo, what year is your car?
Is it pre or post 2004?
The standard brakes changed after 2004 soI would assumethey were improved.
Ive yet to have any fade with my discs/pads and that includes a few times slowing from max speed and some lengthy European/UK trips using brakes togoodeffect.
I cant see why bite from cold is in question.Never had a problem with this and as far as wear they still look brand newafter around 2 years and about 20k miles.
I dont know for sure either about the reason Jag took the brakes straight from the lighter and less powerful FWD Mondeo and put them into a heavy AWD more powerful X Type, maybe it was lack of develpoment time as it was with the floorpan and 20% of the cars totalparts.
They must have done testsand pass standards otherwise they wouldnt have been able to use them (slightly off topic but I was talking to Jaguars chief test driver and developer Norman Dewis who oversaw the development of the disc brake and pad (trying different metals in the discs to maximize cooling and different materials in the pads to stop them disintegrating with heat on road cars prior to them being used for the 1st time in an XK120? when he co-drove with racing driverStirling Moss in the Mille Miglia of 1953 (or was it 54?) in Italy at our local Jag club meeting in May..now 87 he recalls specific facts and figures over the last 60 years like we remember our surnames...one test back in the 60s was when Jag were trying to get the E Type into the US.One of the testshe had to do was to show what happened with a tyre blow out at 150mph....if the test wasnt done the car wouldnt have beem sold there.A meeting was geld with Dunlopabout how to carry out the test and a Dunlop employee suggested a sharp shooter! to which Dewis replied "if you think I am having someone shoot at a car I am driving at 150mph youve got another thing coming!".In the end they made a leverbeside the drivers seat and at 150mphDewis pulled the lever which had a metal spike at the other end to puncture the wheel.The test was successful and the car was able to be sold in the US).

Old 11-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bo:

Jag apparently changed brake pads between 03 and 06. My first X - an 03 2.5 -constantly covered the rims with brake dust. The 06 I have now doesn't do it much at all. I've changed the rear pads on the 06 - and - the OEMpads were Akebonos. I put Friction Masters on and they're doing fine, and, no dust either.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 11-30-2008, 12:26 AM

the ability to keep stopping as you use the brakes heavily is all about heat dissipation. you can add bigger discs.. with better cooling.. but that does not change the force the caliper appies to the disc.

braking force + caliper force * coefficient of friction

not sure where I am making up science there.. it is in public school science class in every developped country.. ...
wow Bo, you are SO RIGHT!! Wow!
keep 'em coming Tiger!

I feel like a child in school again.... learning from all those guys who have so much knowledge!
Boy am I LUCKY! [:-]

Hey, do y'all remember that text book from 3rd grade science class that said there were 7 planets in the known solar system? [&:]
Yeah, as I recall that class was taught by some guy who talked big, but had no real-world knowledge, and was threatened by anyone who did. Glad that ain't happenin' here. 'cuz it'd be a shame if BAER brakes, or BREMBO, or EBC, or TOKICO or NISSIN had to rely on old textbook theory stuff when developing their braking systems over the last decade or so.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: Oldengineer

Bo:

Jag apparently changed brake pads between 03 and 06.
Regards:
Oldengineer
This is why I was asking Bo if his car was a 2004- model.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow! 4 pages of crazyiness!

Folks this is simple math: You want better stopping power? 1. Bigger rotors. 2. Better calipers. 3. Better pads.
The Jag has smaller rotors, i think they are 10 inches, factory standard is 13, best is 14, and the calibers look to be the same size you would find on a go-kart. Which is all fine if you're a normal driver. But if you want a better bite, you'll need to spend some extra cash to get performance stopping power.

Quick Reply: Which rotors and pads