Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which rotors and pads

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Which rotors and pads

I agree to point. We'll take my G8 for example. I have massive 14 inch rotors with 4 piston calipers. To keep them cool, air ducts provide nice cool air to the rotors.

not only can you feel the difference, but they are far superior to any upgrade i made to the Jag. I normally cruise at 80, sometime 140+ and man those brakes are AWESOME!

As for "locking" up the brakes with ABS, test have show that you will stop quicker with the ABS engaged. This i assume is due to the fact that the brakes are pulsating and keeping the heat down. in other words, they are not clamped down creating the heat buildup as normal non abs brakes would.

Just my thoughts.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:41 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

most of my own experience comes from testing on the racetrack, and so I will admit that most of my arguments will tend to gravitate that direction.
BUT: what works well on the racetrack is almost always good for the street too.

RacerX is correct, and Bo is full of crap.

Don't know a nicer way to say that.... I've tried for 3 pages.

Just because you can lock the brakes, does NOT mean that your brakes are equal to other brakes that can also lock. You are correct that once a brake is locked, then they're all the same. But it's all about what happens BEFORE they lock.

And listening to Bo talk about how racing brakes don't work when they're cold, and etc etc, is like listening to Mcain talk about what it's like to be a minority.

Bo: Bigger brakes are better. I think maybe YOU have been duped by all the new-age thinking about how 'size doesn't matter', and are projecting that idea into the brakes. It matters. Trust me.
And so does production material and method.
and so does friction material.
and so do slots / dimples.
You can argue it with your little (again, we're talking about size) formulas and theories..... but in the real world, where I live, what I really want to know is that my brakes are gonna work, and that what I just changed allowed me to push my brake markers back an additional 50 feet.

you're wrong Bo.
can't be more clear than that.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I love u man....sniff...[sm=icon_cheers.gif] and i love Bo too....

Old 12-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

Agree that bigger brakes are better but a lot more costly and tlucketts original postasked for thoughts on whichstandard factory sized pads/discs were best from all of the part numbers he provided.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:09 PM

ORIGINAL: bojangles

Mc J you are an ********.. I have done my best to explain stuff with some easy, simple plain facts and reasonable english.
You hurl insults at me without explanation.. without any form of discussion.
******* - go away.
DOOD....
that's a lot like the pot calling the kettle black, ain't it?
I mean, I've been compiling a list of the many, many insulting and derogatory things you've said to or about Jag Owners as a collective, and some of us (not me, typically) specifically.
It's not a short list, by any means.

All I can say is that you think your math somehow trumps real world experience and brake technology trends. It does not. Period.
I tried (not very hard, 'cuz I don't like you) to be nice about it. Then I got more blunt.
Not surprised you didn't like it. But if you go look at your own posts in other places... this should feel like some of your own medicine.

What can I say?
I have no interest in pretending that you're right so that your feelings don't get smooshed.

Buck:
Thanks for bringing us back to the original point
IN a nutshell:
Dimpled and Slotted Rotors from EBC look great.
When coupled with an appropriate pad, they improve braking performance over properly working stock brakes. (And yes, over the same pad with stock, or aftermarket non-slotted, non-dimpled rotors)
With the RedStuff pads, they tend to be noisy in most installations.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:07 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I think I've mentioned in another thread or even here..been a blurr since..

That I got the EBC sport rotors with the slots and dimples and Akebono Euro pads...And to sum it up..the braking performance is a lot better than the factory originals and much, much cleaner..and quiet too..Sorry to keep harping on these..but everyday I'm so amazed at the perfect combination and performance of these two brake items working together.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I harp on that same combination Dennis. Much improved all around, especially the dust-factor, which I hold a high priority in keeping down. I recommend that brake pad and rotor combo every brake thread I stumble upon, so I thought I would skip this one for fun. Guess I couldn't resist seeing you do the same thing.

Bo and McJ, time-out. Lets just chalk this up to 'agreeing to disagree' and move on fellas. You both bring different, well respected opinions to this board, and its not worth getting inflamed any more. Obviously you both feel strongly in your reasons on your take on the subject, and both of you are coming from different educations and experiences. We don't always agree, in fact, if we all did...this board, and all of life would be pretty boring, woudn't it. I suggest a burying of the hatchet, flag you each as one another's nemsis, and cordially move on to the next debate. I hope you both can agree. I share Racer's feelings...for you both. <sniff>

Old 12-01-2008, 05:25 PM

ORIGINAL: h20boy
Bo and McJ, time-out. Lets just chalk this up to 'agreeing to disagree' and move on fellas.
We don't always agree, in fact, if we all did...this board, and all of life would be pretty boring, woudn't it. I suggest a burying of the hatchet, flag you each as one another's nemsis, and cordially move on to the next debate. I hope you both can agree. I share Racer's feelings...for you both. <sniff>
YEAH YEAH YEAH.....
why ya gotta go and make me get all MATURE n' stuff?

it's good advice. I'll take it.
Is there a "bury the hatchet" smiley?
how about this one?[sm=partyparty.gif]

Old 12-01-2008, 05:31 PM
Veteran member

lol, I think it's definately appropriate... bo?

Old 12-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To get back on topic, I got the EBC sport rotors and EBC red stuff pads and they are really noisy. Under braking going down hill they get louder. While braking down hill ill try to brake as light as possible with the same out come with the loud noise. When I apply the brakes on a level street there are no noises. I’m thinking my shop installed them wrong! Also while driving in the city about 30 mph with the window down I hear like a whistle sound and that is just driving no braking at all. I don’t know why it’s doing this. I read that they are a little noisy but I didn’t think it was this bad.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Veteran member

If the rotors are dimpled or slotted, you will hear some small noises, thats normal. It sounds like a quiet helicopter, and I actually like that tone. If not dimpled or slotted, you've got worse problems i am afraid.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:31 PM

Well they are dimpled and slotted,thequiet helicopter sound doesn’tbother me alotBut does your car make a louder noise while braking down a hill?

Old 12-02-2008, 09:58 PM
ud

Same as H2O said the little whisper flutter sound is normal for the slotted/dimpled rotors..

Get rid of the Red Stuff pads (known to squeal) and put on a set of Akebono Euro pads..the squeal noise will go away.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:05 PM

I wouldn’t say it squeals it’s hard to explain it. Sometimes the front end vibrates but doesn'tvibratethrough the brake pedal. I’m going to have to make a video of the car braking down a hill from inside the carlol.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:27 PM

it's not a squeal so much as a sort of 'soft grind'... (which kinda sounds kinky.)

And I used to think this was a result of the ceramic pads, but I've used other ceramic pads that DON'T make this noise. So I'll have to say it's sort of a RedStuff thing. I've grown kind of fond of it, because along with the noise comes a feel thru the pedal.
But on the X, i'll be putting the stock stuff back on prior to selling it.... for fear someone will think it's broken.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I'd call it a "whooshing scrape" noise. Far less kinky.

I've heard similar noises on other cars I've put ceramics on, both with and without slotted rotors.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:16 AM
ud

It's probably nothing to worry about..It sounds normal for slotted/dimpled rotors to whoosh/helicopter