Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rust already?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: rust already?!?!

I was bought out as well...
Jim coleman traded in my car(refunded all of my money) and I bought another X, this time with no sales taxsince it was a trade in and all.
I am very happy with the result in the end.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_53207/tm.htm

Old 05-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey jvegas

Old 05-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

here is what it looked like on the old car. I will post some pics of the new one soon. enjoy

Name:  xtype_rust1.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  26.4 KB

Name:  xtype-rust2.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  19.0 KB

Name:  xtype_rust3.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  19.3 KB

wow...... that is a mess!

Old 05-13-2008, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member

WTF???[:'(][:'(][:'(][:@][:@][:@][:'(][:'(][:@][:'(][:'(]

That is under the plastic of the car? Man I hope mine doesn't look like that...or is that viewable by just opening the door?

Hurry up with a thread on the new car will ya!???

Old 05-13-2008, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member

that is with the plastic removed. You can see in my other pictures that you can see it with the door open on the A frame. I will take pics and write a thread on the new car by this weekend...... it is much better then the old car! Bo are you in canada?

Old 05-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah bo's in c-a-n-a-d-a!

Man when did you start noticing that the rust was there? I'd seriously go crazy looking at that crap!

I thought you'd be able to see that even if the plastic was in place! That is soooo ugly! Hurry up with the pics man!

Old 05-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member

here is what it looked like with the plastic on. I noticed it when i was washing the car one day about four months ago. It has gotten worse since then...

Name:  PICT0002.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  21.7 KB

what pics are you talking about?

Old 05-14-2008, 01:45 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I think pics of your new ride..

Old 05-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member

Pics of the new ride!

HOLY CRAP!!! How did it take that long for you to notice that there? That is nuts! I would have vomited seeing that on my car![:'(][:@][X(]

At least they took care of you! That surely was a "one in a million" or maybe 2 in a million occurrence! That is nuts! Seeing that pics scares me! What year was your car?

Old 05-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member

it was an 03'... and it is a common thing i am starting to find out. i put the reason this happens above in this thread.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

This is very[:'(][:-][:-][&:]
It was like a ship sunken and turned into a reef

Old 05-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I bought my 2002 (Nov 2001) X-type, I asked to have it sprayed by Rust Check, the answer wasNO for the reasons mentioned above. But the Service Manager at the time pursued this since he said all cars are sprayed before they get to their lot from the transatlantic transport. I finallygot a letter fromFord allowing the annual Rust Check spray and that it won't affect the warranty.

One last thing, I'm sure the spray degraded many of the plastic components that subsequently broke, all replaced under warranty, but the head mechanic suggested I stop the annual spray. On the up side there is no rust anywhere on my car, and now it's over 6 years old.

The following isthe preceding e-mail from Ford of the approval letter if anyone is interested:

Mr._______,[/align][/align]I have your request with our Field Service Engineer and he feels that Krown is a good brand of rust proofing asthey use existing openings in the body to inject their substance. Should they decide to drill holes in the sheet metal, this will deteriorate the factory protected metal surfaces and cause rust down the road.[/align][/align]To summarize, you can use the Krown rust proofing as long as they do not drill holes to inject their formula.[/align][/align]Sincerely,[/align]Chris Samadh
Customer Relations Manager
Phone: (905) 792 - 9400 ext 241
Fax: (905) 791 - 2772
E-mail: csamadh@ford.com
Aston Martin Jaguar Land Rover Canada
8 Indell Lane, Bramalea, ON, L6T 4H3

Old 05-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No rust on mine! it's not showing anytime soon!

Old 05-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

ORIGINAL: cadillac

It was like a ship sunken and turned into a reef
It looked alot like a resurrected shipwreck, absolutely!

Old 05-14-2008, 09:50 PM
ud

The sight of that don't even look real, that a car in the 21st century would even begin to look like that..I'm surprised some of the supporting structure hasn't been compromised to the point it could fail...

Old 05-14-2008, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member

it has.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:10 PM
ud

Damn..you are so lucky to be rid of it..Great job..

Old 08-21-2008, 10:24 PM

I found rust 12 months ago on the rockers of my '03 X-Type. Went through most of the same crap everyone else went through. Jag rep said the rust would not be covered because a CarFax said it was in two prior accidents. However, had an independent shop look at the area rusting. It had never been repaired/repainted...no signs of prior damage. One month before my warranty was up, I called the Jag 800 number almost daily. They told me the case was closed and nothing could be done about it. I asked them to send me a letter stating why they would not cover this under warranty (I was preparing to take Jag to court). Someone my wife knew told her to take my car into the dealership one more time. This time a different rep from Jag looked at my car and said Jag would cover the rust under warranty....at the same time I got a letter from Jag saying they wouldn't cover the rust because I failed to bring it in for yearly rust inspections (LMAO).....God, I wish I could have taken that letter to court.

Anyway, at first the estimate was around $3000 to fix it. However, once the outer shell was removed, both A pillars had holes big enough to put one of my fists through.......Most recent estimate is over $10,000!!!! It's been almost a week and a half, and the dealership is still waiting to hear from Jag what they want to do. Jag is either going to fix it or buy my car back....at least I'm driving the new rental for free.....

I read a few people on this post had their vehicles bought back from Jag. I bought mine 3 years ago....I have a feeling I will be hiring a lawyer if they offer me wholesale value on my car. What should I expect if Jag offers to buy me out? What did they offer everyone here who posted getting their car bought back?

Old 08-21-2008, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member

i got the sticker price for mine. the price i paid when i bought it. the yearly rust check thing was started in 04 or 05... it dies not apply to you. As you see i went through some hoops to get my problem fixed.... just stay calm, talk nice, and assume they will take care of it. yelling will get you know where with any company. good luck and keep us updated.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:40 PM

Hmmm....I bought my car in Cleveland three years ago (I live in Iowa) for $16,500 from a dealer on eBay. If Jag ends up paying me for what I paid for it, I can technically say I made money! My car only has 62K miles on it, and I was planning on driving it into the ground since nothing out there really excites me right now.

I'm going crazy right now not knowing what's going to happen. It's been reliableand I need an AWD vehicle because my driveway resembles Mt. Everest.....Unbelievably, Jagwas one of the most inexpensive AWD vehicles I could find at the time I bought it!...and everyone gives me crap (e.g. call me "Mr. Big Bucks...")

I'm currently searching for another AWD vehicle....and can't come close to finding something as nice as the Jag....without paying double the amount. I'm a little gun shy about buying another X-type. The dealership told me there was nothing I could do to inspect this area for rust (short of taking off the plastic wheel well).

I'll send out an update once I find out what Jag is going to do. If I have a chance, I'll get pics and post them (it was UGLY....almost got sick)

Quick Reply: rust already?!?!