Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S or SE?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S or SE?

Hello everyone
I have recently bought a 2009 x-type saloon which was sold to me as an S spec. However having compared it to a 2009 price list it is clearly an SE spec as it has all the SE details including things that were not available as options on the S spec models. Also the VIN is SAJAH5113A6JXXXXX. According to this forum and others the 51 means X-Type 4 door high series. I have written to Jaguar Customer Services who insist it is an S spec but everything I see suggests otherwise. Any help would be much appreciated.
Steve

Old 11-12-2018, 03:50 AM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

I should not worry too much. What it says in the log book is where it's value lies.
Many instances of miss naming these motors around this date. I have one of the very last Xtypes made. Log book says it is a Sovereign and was sold as such. IT'S NOT it's an SE. But when I sell it it will be as a Sovereign, I cant go against the log book.
These cars are what Jaguar called them and there is no escaping that value wise!

Old 11-12-2018, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by DUNKS
I should not worry too much. What it says in the log book is where it's value lies.
Many instances of miss naming these motors around this date. I have one of the very last Xtypes made. Log book says it is a Sovereign and was sold as such. IT'S NOT it's an SE. But when I sell it it will be as a Sovereign, I cant go against the log book.
These cars are what Jaguar called them and there is no escaping that value wise!
Hi Dunks
The trouble is the log book says it's an S too. Next I might try writing to the dealer that originally sold the vehicle and see if they have any records although after 9 years that might be a bit of a big ask.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:19 AM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I called in person to my local main dealer and they gave me a printout of the original spec of my car
IIRC it even had the serial nos of each tyre.
Give then a call and ask about it.
They will almost certainly want proof of ownership, hence you might not get results from a letter.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by henry k
I called in person to my local main dealer and they gave me a printout of the original spec of my car
IIRC it even had the serial nos of each tyre.
Give then a call and ask about it.
They will almost certainly want proof of ownership, hence you might not get results from a letter.
Hi Henry,
That sounds like a good idea. Unfortunately there isn't a Jaguar dealer on the Isle of Wight but I visit the mainland fairly often so could try next time I'm over there. It's not the same dealer that supplied the car from new but hopefully they should all have access to the same database.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:27 AM

Do go ahead and try but if your car was delivered to the dealer as an "S" I fear it will always be an "S"
The value of these cars now is so low. Here anyway it makes little difference whether its an S or top of the range
Talking to a guy a week or so ago and his 07 x type estate with 60.000 miles has been written off by his insurance company due to a smashed wing mirror. He was side swiped. Mirror was the only damage. His car has no more value than an electric mirror!

Old 11-12-2018, 11:59 AM

Do go ahead and try but if your car was delivered to the dealer as an "S" I fear it will always be an "S"
Quite a few folks have had these mistakes corrected. SE re classified as Sovereign.

....has been written off by his insurance company due to a smashed wing mirror. He was side swiped. Mirror was the only damage. His car has no more value than an electric mirror!
Is this an urban myth ? If not then I would have challenged their decision unless of course he wanted the cash.
Why do I say this ?
Earlier this year my X type was hit side on and a large crease on the passenger side above the rear wheel arch was the result.
plus a couple of nicks in the alloy wheel
" Write off!!. It will need a whole new panel etc etc."
I was not happy so questioned it.
" We can pull out the dent using the brazed on keys method "
Result a fantastic repair, new wheel, mud flap, matching tyre etc etc.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:08 PM

I got my details locally but the car was supplied to a dealer elsewhere and not in the same group.
I found the original spec for my specific car interesting.
They also gave me the radio security code ( The Jaguar radio code card the original owner passed on to me was incorrect )
Do give them a call before you get on the ferry so you have the acceptable ID and docs with you.
Good Luck.

Old 11-12-2018, 03:00 PM

No myth. I was talking to the guy and alongside his car. He was negotiating buying the "written off car" from the insurance company and repairing it himself. Of course he could buy from a breakers yard where insurers always insist on genuine original spec parts. Which of course they should.