X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sad day today for the X Type :-(

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

I love my car, as we all do. And I love knowing the little secret we all share: what a great car it is for the money. IMO I think they are a steal. But collectible.....I highly doubt it. I look at it as 10-20 years down the road one that would be in pristine conditio you might sell for a few dollars to someone that has an affinity for them, like someone on this site, but I just can't see them being worth what we might have paid for them. Would be great if I was wrong though.

When I bought mine I actually took into consideration that it probably won't be worth much 5 years or so when I would probably be looking for a different car. Until then I will just enjoy it, maintain it and secretly grin at all those that pay more for cars that satisfy less than what we have.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

^ x2. So well stated that I couldn't really add anything except: Agreed!

Old 12-28-2009, 11:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I know it won't be a true collectible per say. There were too many made. But it will have a special place in my heart forever.

I'm ordering a silver x-type die cast model right now actually.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Where did you find an X-Type die cast? Ha Ha

Really I don't get it. If you read the early reviews of the car, many publications spoke well of it. It seemed like someone trashed it and then someone else did, and then no one wanted to be the lone wolf so everyone started following the crowd. Overall, it has gotten good reliability ratings, especially as the years have gone by. Lots of people think it looks fine. The news article refers to the 60's styling. Well, anyone seen the latest versions of the Dodge Challenger or the Ford Mustang? Surprise, some people actually like that style. I have taken lots of people for rides and they always speak highly of the car. One guy I know is extremely wealthy and actually owns a high performance shop and several collectables. He owns several Lexus models and his wife drives a Benz coupe. One time we went to lunch and he said "You know, I really like this car".

The car rides well, is dependable, and has the class of the Jaguar name. I think it is appointed well for the model year I have. I have a 2005. Sure the new cars have more bells and tech toys but for 2005 mine was competitive and still holds its own.

I have had the car for two years now and so far I am very well pleased. I got it mainly because it was such a good price for so much car. I guess I benefited from all of that bad (and inaccurate) publicity. I am going to cruise on down the road with a big grin on my face and if someone ever tells me what I lemon I have I will just pull this out and show them:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ype/index.html

"If there's one thing Jag always does right, it's sculpt metal into drop-dead-gorgeous bodies, and the X-Type is no exception. We were smitten with the blending of Jaguar heritage in nearly every angle of the car: elliptical quad headlamps, flowing, coupe-like roofline, and XJ-inspired grille. With its distinct lack of chrome, this is one bad cat in any rearview mirror. Senior Photographer John Kiewicz wrote, "Jag did a great job with the styling. There's absolutely no doubt this car is pure Jaguar."

Old 12-28-2009, 09:09 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

good to see the Mondeo association dismissed in the Motor Trend article. nice read, thanks