Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking clarification regarding struts and coils

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking clarification regarding struts and coils

2002 x-type 3.0 manual gear box

I am in the process of making a list of parts for a complete strut assembly, rear shocks, ball joint, and tie rod overhaul. Most of the pieces are pretty straight forward but I wanted to run a question through here about clarifying what kind of struts, shocks and their respective coils are needed for my specific vehicle. I've looked through the forums and I am still unsure as to what types of these items I need, although I have learned through here that I have the base model with the X1 - X3 package, and not the sport model(X2), if that means anything.

I've seen the bilstein strut and shocks heavily recommended on these forums. Parts numbers 22-053626 and 24-066761
I do enjoy taking a sharp corner, but I was quite satisfied with the stock suspension when it was in better shape. I'm not really looking to push the vehicle much.
So I'm having a very hard time finding, and figuring out what coils I need. I would like to maintain stock ride height due to heavy snow where I live, with said bilstein items if that is possible, but I am wondering if the 'sport' setup is worth it. Upgrading to Sport is worth it to me if it is an upgrade in piece quality. "Performance" isn't as important to me.

Here are the coils I have found so far that are reasonably priced. I see the " /w Sports Suspension " are out of stock, with only the " Exc. Sport Suspension " being available. Are these Exc. Sports suspension coils compatible with the bilstien items I listed that say sport? Or are they only compatible with the 'Standard' bilstein struts and shocks on the same list? If I can't find any coils I can afford, what strut and shock combo can I use for my stock coils? Or am I better off just buying all the Standard stuff?

onthelake

Old 12-13-2020, 02:14 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by onthelake
2002 x-type 3.0 manual gear box

I am in the process of making a list of parts for a complete strut assembly, rear shocks, ball joint, and tie rod overhaul. Most of the pieces are pretty straight forward but I wanted to run a question through here about clarifying what kind of struts, shocks and their respective coils are needed for my specific vehicle. I've looked through the forums and I am still unsure as to what types of these items I need, although I have learned through here that I have the base model with the X1 - X3 package, and not the sport model(X2), if that means anything.

I've seen the bilstein strut and shocks heavily recommended on these forums. Parts numbers 22-053626 and 24-066761
I do enjoy taking a sharp corner, but I was quite satisfied with the stock suspension when it was in better shape. I'm not really looking to push the vehicle much.
So I'm having a very hard time finding, and figuring out what coils I need. I would like to maintain stock ride height due to heavy snow where I live, with said bilstein items if that is possible, but I am wondering if the 'sport' setup is worth it. Upgrading to Sport is worth it to me if it is an upgrade in piece quality. "Performance" isn't as important to me.

Here are the coils I have found so far that are reasonably priced. I see the " /w Sports Suspension " are out of stock, with only the " Exc. Sport Suspension " being available. Are these Exc. Sports suspension coils compatible with the bilstien items I listed that say sport? Or are they only compatible with the 'Standard' bilstein struts and shocks on the same list? If I can't find any coils I can afford, what strut and shock combo can I use for my stock coils? Or am I better off just buying all the Standard stuff?

onthelake
Check this thread out. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-review-79346/

I bought the B8s with the Eibach springs set from a UK dealer, as mentioned in the thread, but the B6s are also a good way to go. More expesive but its an upgrade, better components and the car just feels and handles better. Stiffer but the Eibach springs are progressive, not harsh at all. You could go with standard springs though.

Replace the strut tower mounts while you're at it (suggest you buy Jaguar OEM, not cheap crap) - mine disintegrated, as expected 15+ years old, when the struts were removed.

Last edited by Jag4; 12-13-2020 at 02:17 PM.