X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

" Serious issue "2004 Jaguar Xtype 3.0 rear differential leakage

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 12:38 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default " Serious issue "2004 Jaguar Xtype 3.0 rear differential leakage

I believe I need to replace the seal in the rear differential - any info that I need to know - or any thing I need to be aware of -

I notice that there was a slight leakage coming from the aluminum pan towards the back middle - I was afraid that it might be transmission fluid but a freind of mine said it looks like its the rear differential due to the unit was coverd with dried up fluid - is there any way to find out or test what might be the leak - also if its the rear differential what type of oil it needs -

Old 05-30-2013, 03:34 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,884 Likes on 3,192 Posts

Juan, I would say to get under the car and wipe off as much of the build up as you can and then take the car out for a drive for say 50 miles. Then you can get back under the car and you will hopefully be able to see a line starting to form from where it is leaking.

As for fluid, you will need to get some 75W-140 full synthetic gear lube. All that is available on the market will meet Jag specifications.

When it comes to replacing the seal, I can not help you there. The big problem I see with that is you will need to have the car up in the air pretty good so you can unbolt the differential and support it with a tranny jack. From there, you will have to lower it down to get access to the rear cover. This may involve having to pull the CV shafts off of the differential to give you enough flexibility to get the differential down as far as you will need to. Then it should hopefully be nothing more than undoing some bolts and the rear cover will pop off. But, don't quote me on that. I would also look at the seal where the driveshaft enters the rear differential. If you are going to have leakage, that is a more likely place. To replace that seal, that is simply unbolting the driveshaft from the car, removing the shaft place from the differential (pressed in place) and then popping the seal off as I recall.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:33 AM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Juan, I would say to get under the car and wipe off as much of the build up as you can and then take the car out for a drive for say 50 miles. Then you can get back under the car and you will hopefully be able to see a line starting to form from where it is leaking.

As for fluid, you will need to get some 75W-140 full synthetic gear lube. All that is available on the market will meet Jag specifications.

When it comes to replacing the seal, I can not help you there. The big problem I see with that is you will need to have the car up in the air pretty good so you can unbolt the differential and support it with a tranny jack. From there, you will have to lower it down to get access to the rear cover. This may involve having to pull the CV shafts off of the differential to give you enough flexibility to get the differential down as far as you will need to. Then it should hopefully be nothing more than undoing some bolts and the rear cover will pop off. But, don't quote me on that. I would also look at the seal where the driveshaft enters the rear differential. If you are going to have leakage, that is a more likely place. To replace that seal, that is simply unbolting the driveshaft from the car, removing the shaft place from the differential (pressed in place) and then popping the seal off as I recall.
Thanks I'm going to whip off the leakage then drive it for a while & try to track down the leak - great idiea - if it's the seal this will be the first time ill be taking this car to a Machanic, don't have a lift