Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A serious problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default A serious problem

Okay, so since my car ran into the curb a year ago, and me getting it back.The steering wheel wobbles and there's a vibration throught the car that can be felt, when driving on the highway. My dad just took the car out to fill it up, and he came home worried sick, telling me that I'm stupid driving it on the highway.

My responce was, was its been like this since I got it back from the mechanic, and thought it was normal since no vehicle after an accident will be perfect again. I believe it might just be a alignment but now my dad wants to take the car in and get it checked. Nothing wrong with that, but the next part sickens me.

Is it possible that this could be really serious, my fathers worried sick, and it only occurs at lower speeds, anything under 90km/h. My dads freaking out and forcing me to take the truck to the college tommorrow, and he says if need be, Ill have to sell the jag and down size to a geo metro as a joke but hes dead serious about selling it if it happens to be the case.

What could be possible problems here, a tie rod, not properly inflated tires, alignment? Help? I dont wanna sell my first love.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't sweat it, I had this same issue.. steering wheel shake and vibration. You can see the passenger side seat vibrate when I used to drive.. but It had to do with the alignment which probably is your case. I can't be for sure so don't quote me on it, it has to be looked at by the techs to see what It really is. But like I said try not to lose any sleep over it I doubt it will be that bad.. good luck!

Old 09-29-2010, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member

Okay, and yea I noticed the seat the other day too, i hope so, my father's taking it in tommorrow. i hope anyways

Old 09-29-2010, 10:07 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

it could be a bent strut, you cannot see it till taken out of the steering knuckle. But measure from the back of tire to the fender on both sides. This is one check, also the upper strut mount tends to mushroom where it bolts to the upper strut tower in the body. Then to the lower control arm rear bushing is a hydro mount and cracks and leaks. This leads to a shimmy when driving and or braking. of course these are just good starting places. I would start with these checks and swapping tire fron to rear and see if the ride changes

Old 09-30-2010, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member

It turns out me tires had come apart internally, my dad took the 4 all season continentals there and they rotated the whels, and put them on. Drives pretty close to a straightline now, and the air pressure was filled up too. Just me over worrying again.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear everything went well!

Old 10-01-2010, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco stu55
It turns out me tires had come apart internally, my dad took the 4 all season continentals there and they rotated the whels, and put them on. Drives pretty close to a straightline now, and the air pressure was filled up too. Just me over worrying again.
Not sure if I understood yu correct, but did you mean you have four different tires on now or did they just rotate the tires on the front to the rear? If that's the case and the tires "came apart internally" you would still have a serious safety issue. One of those tires could still blow out anytime. If you meant you had another set of wheels and tires that you swapped out for what was on there and now it's good, then it sounds like you're good to go.

Any time you have a serious wobble/vibration like that after having it fixed because of an accident that is NOT normal and should have been asked about at that time. Sounds like you got lucky in that you didn't have a blow out. Glad it all worked out, but if that wobble was as severe as it sounded don't ignore it that long if it happens again.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Not sure if I understood yu correct, but did you mean you have four different tires on now or did they just rotate the tires on the front to the rear? If that's the case and the tires "came apart internally" you would still have a serious safety issue. One of those tires could still blow out anytime. If you meant you had another set of wheels and tires that you swapped out for what was on there and now it's good, then it sounds like you're good to go.

Any time you have a serious wobble/vibration like that after having it fixed because of an accident that is NOT normal and should have been asked about at that time. Sounds like you got lucky in that you didn't have a blow out. Glad it all worked out, but if that wobble was as severe as it sounded don't ignore it that long if it happens again.

YOU ARE 100% CORRECT, according to the tech, and my brain after it kicked in, the blown tire could have done some serious damage, especially since i have to take the highway to college now. The vibration was brutal. if you place a bottle of water in my cup holder, it would be sploshing around. And we have had these brand new continetals when i got the vehicle that were wrapped sitting in my garage for 2 years. I bought the car at winter and it had come with 4 new winter tires, that were left on all 2 years which is why they probaly came apart.

Now that the probelm is fixed i feel better, and drive alot better, before approachin 130km/h, the car would be suddering and the steering sloppy.

Now though the car is really sharp, relaxing, smooth, the the ride is actually comfortable, i think im in love with it all over again.
i really understand how this car can handle wel ont he roads now that i have proper steering again.

I had a huge grin on my face driving to school today.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member

Oh and the tires, we had 4 new contienentals sitting int he garage, from when we purchased the car, we had those put on, the wheels are supposed to be rotated again next year some time. it wouldnt make sence to rotate them once we put them on the car. Sorry bad grammer and consisness

Old 10-01-2010, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member

Man o Man! I bet it feels like you are driving a new car. Just make sure you check the air in these in a timely manner to help keep them wearing evenly, especially now that the weather is changing. The air pressure in the tires can drop quite a bit when it gets cold.

I just put a new set of Continentals on my car a couple weeks ago to get ready for winter (plus I got a free Tom Tom from Tirerack) and the difference was night and day. And my tires weren't in that bad a shape and had worn evenly and still rode well, but they had almost 40K on them and I wanted them new before the snow flies. Drove home from the shop and it felt like I was discovering the car all over again.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am having the same issue. About 3 months ago, my brother hit a pot hole with my car and screwed up my 19" rims that I had on them, didn't even get to enjoy them for a month Anyhow those are at the shop getting fixed. So I put on my factory wheels/tires and a week later I blew a tire on the highway going about 70, thank god nothing happened to me.

So I went and purchased 4 new $600 Sumitomos All-Season High Performance tires. This is when I started to experience bad vibrations while driving past 45 mph. So I take it back to tire kingdom and they inform me that I have two bent rims. So I take my rims and get them repaired at a bent wheel shop ($80 a pop) and bring the car back to get it balanced... Still have a vibration...

Now tire kingdom tells me I have one more bent rim to fix... So I go spend another $80 on that rim to get fixed and take it back to them to get it balanced... Still have a vibration..

Okay.. Seriously.. WTF? I use to have THREE different economy tires on the factory wheels prior to my 19" and it use to ride smooth as a babys bottom. Now that I purchased 4 brand new $600 tires I'm getting this severe vibrations at speeds excess of 45 mph? Something aint right...

So I take it back to them a fourth time and have them warranty those tires and upgrade me to 4 new pairs of Yokohama tires... Still have a vibration... but now at speeds excess of 55 mph..

Anyone know wtf is going on? If I use to have 3 different economy tires on them previously with no vibration at all... how can vibration occur with two different brand high performance all season tires?

btw... they claim I also have a 4th rim that's bent.. I think its all BS because I NEVER use to have these vibrations prior to the new tires and I'm not spending another $80!!

Bent strut? Bent tire rod? What can be going wrong?

Thanks.. Sorry for the ranting..

Old 10-02-2010, 07:34 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,886 Likes on 3,193 Posts

620, 4 bent rims. Hmmm, just had the tires replaced. What are the odds that the guy doing the new tires messed up the rims? That is the question that I would pose to the shop. Glass smooth before the tires, wobbles after. Seems pretty straight forward to me. Now, this is assuming that you went to your choosing of a rim repair shop and not to the shop that the tire people recommended. As I can see someone walking in and saying something to the effect of " Joe at Tire Shop told me to come over here to get my 2 bent rims fixed by you". If the 2 guys running the 2 shops are working together to generate some business, they can blow a lot of smoke since figuring out if a rim is bent is not something that the average Joe can do (requires the use of a depth micrometer and a stiff rotating surface).

If you went to your own choosing of a shop which was not the one recommended and they say that the rim was bent, then I can't argue that since you have 2 different people that most likely are not talking to each other saying the same thing. It is hard to argue that.

With all that being said, if you still have a vibration and you have gotten 3 out of 4 rims straightened, rotate the tires front to rear and vice versa. Does the vibration go away? If yes, then that is confirming a bad rim/tire (vibrations from wheels on the rear of a car are not as noticeable). If the vibration is the same, then you are looking at something else. Along these same lines, does the vibration feel like it is coming from the floor of the car or in through the steering wheel (should be able to have a light touch on the steering wheel and watch it wobble a little bit side to side). The floor vibration is normally caused by a bad carrier bearing for the rear drive shaft. Sometimes greasing the bearing will minimize the vibrations. If the steering wheel is where you are feeling it, you may need to have a suspension shop check out your ball joints/struts and see how they are doing. You get a little bit of looseness there and you can get what you are seeing.

Hopefully this gives you some things to look at and hopefully get to the bottom of things.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member

Did the vibration feel cahnge at all once yu got the bent wheels fixed or did it feel exactly the same? If the feel didn't change at all I would start looking at something in the suspension or steering. Did you get an alignment as well? Would be a good idea after hitting that pothole as well.

I see you are running 235/35/19 tires. Not a lot of sidewall there. If you did bend four wheels in a month might be a sign of what could be a a regular occurance. Not a lot of sidewall to absorb the bumps. That's the cost of cool I guess.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:31 PM

I actually went to a bent rim shop on my own. I knew I had a previous bent rim when I purchased the car but it never effected the ride. To come to know that I have 4 bent rims 2 years later puzzles me on why it didn't show with the three odd brand tires I use to have on them.

I got them balanced, rotated, moved around, remounted, two different brand tires, Sumitomos and Yokohama's and I still have vibration. Even after fixing three bent rims.

The vibration is through out the whole car to be honest... Sunroof flap starts to vibrate, passenger seat has a mind of its own, you can feel it in the seat, and in the steering wheel its a solid vibration but doesn't make the steering wheel wobble violently, even when I have people in the back they tell me its bad vibrations.

I did notice my suspension get a bit crappy after owning the car for a year. You can hear it squeak and knock sometimes over bumps and if I put anyone in the back seat I get prepared for rubbing. And this is on my stock wheels. It's a pain in the *** to have a car with all these problems.

Under warranty when I first purchased the car (used) I had the control arms, bushings and sway bars replaced... Even after I picked it up from the dealer I was still experiencing problems in the ride quality, the dealer tried to tell me its normal and didn't want to help me anymore on the same issue because they considered the problem solved... for their pockets...

I have had tire kingdom try to check out my car and they took a crow bar and started prying something behind the tires and they said my shocks are fine and they would need more time to look at it. One guy said one of the bearings might be screwed.

I'm ready to part with my black cat due to all the problems over the past 2 years of owning it. It's just so hard to find something that comes close to the luxury interior of a Jaguar! I like gripping wood damn it!! I feel like I'm in a forest when I get in with all the wood

Old 10-02-2010, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
I see you are running 235/35/19 tires. Not a lot of sidewall there. If you did bend four wheels in a month might be a sign of what could be a a regular occurance. Not a lot of sidewall to absorb the bumps. That's the cost of cool I guess.
Those are my after market rims/tires... This thread is aimed at my factory wheels which are wrapped in brand new 225/45/17 Yokohama's with less than 100 miles on the tires.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Veteran member

620, because you are feeling it through the whole car, it is something in the rear end of the car (due to the steering wheel not shaking violently). I would say to first try greasing the carrier bearing for the driveshaft and see if the vibration changes. If it does, then you can pretty much be sure that it is the problem. After that, do a look at the bushings on the rear end. I know they may have been changed recently, but, it is possible that they have gone again and what you are feeling is a rear tire wobbling some. A quick check that you can do is make a large sweeping turn and play with the gas some at a semi low speed (20 mph or less). If you feel the rear end wanting to jump around on you with mild application of the gas, that will also confirm a bad bushing.

As for the bumping sound that you are hearing, a lot of people have found that the upper mount for the shocks will cause this. A little bit of work and pushing in new upper bushings ($15 roughly) and you can solve this without having to buy all new shocks.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I have same crap going on.Getting new tires end of next week.My old tires have worn great so no signs by looking at them that I have any troubles with front end parts.But i myself will check it out.Dealership did me as you and said all was fine.I said what a ^&&*& car.Damn Ford!
I myself found my front shock top plates bushings what ever you want to call them are going bad by drying up and turning to powder.Dealership missed that.But they still are not to the point the shock flips around or bangs around loose.
Anyways i was told on our wonderful cars that if a tire is 10 grams out,it will ride like a hay wagon,as mine does.When I get new tires next week i will have them tires Force balanced.I guess the old way static balancing just is not good enough for a Jags.Hope that fixes it.
The owner before me had the tires that are on it now installed by dealership that SHOULD have had the forced machine or Hunter 9700 or 9712.But he had told me it always road like it does.I guess if you just drive in town under 45 as he did it would be no big deal.First time I hammered it I thought the sob was going to come apart!Good luck.If tires and them being forced balanced fixes it I will post it in big freaking letters on this sight.Seems to be a normal thing and some folks think its normal.Nuts!Who would spend what they cost to go for a ride of your life.Not to mention you feel like a real dumb as being passed by trucks and such.Good luck!

Last edited by hemitwist; 10-02-2010 at 03:49 PM. Reason: can not spell
Old 10-02-2010, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

All I can say is once shes riding smooth again, you fall in love all over again ( dont tell my girlfriend though she might get jealous )

Old 10-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Veteran member

Disco, you know you are leaving this way to open to not make a smart comment. BUt, I will be good and just let it slide. OH the comments that are flowing through my head. LMAO. Come on, re-read and I'm sure you can see where it could be taken.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco stu55
All I can say is once shes riding smooth again, you fall in love all over again ( dont tell my girlfriend though she might get jealous )
Thermo,you made me twist my brain this Sunday morning and rethink it.I guess that can be thought of a couple ways.
I have had this problem for years without realizing it.

Quick Reply: A serious problem