X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side door moldings

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 03:17 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Side door moldings

My drivers side door molding is starting to come off a little bit on the right side. It looks like the while clip is loose.I'm hesitant to pop it out, because it looks like the middle section is held to the door with glue. It looks like maybe the outer ends of the trim is held on by clips? Anyway, any tips on getting it to stay? I could probably find a replacement clip, but I'm wondering if I should also attempt to glue the center section back on? Gluing my car makes me nervous. Anyone else have this problem?

I tried the search, but only found threads about completely removing the side trim fom XJs, and apparently they don't use clips at all, just glue.

Thanks!

Old 04-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Nothing a little goop can't fix....hehe

I glued my front vents on that sit on the dash as they were coming up and part of the covering on the dash was coming up as well...put a ton of goop on it and slid some books over the top and then push a few towels over the books to put pressure on it...two days later viola...all better and its for sure aight going anywhere..dries perfectly clear and flexes like silicone

Old 04-24-2013, 03:52 PM

Thanks. So what is your preferred brand of goop?

Old 04-24-2013, 04:02 PM
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

There is only one brand of goop and that is goop. They come in different uses though. I use the blue bottle since it dries clear and have used it to hold headlights together without it cracking or breaking apart.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:44 AM

I think I'm gonna just pull it off completely and reattach it with double sided tape. Any advice or tips?

Old 04-25-2013, 10:46 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by oldpunk
My drivers side door molding is starting to come off a little bit on the right side. It looks like the while clip is loose.I'm hesitant to pop it out, because it looks like the middle section is held to the door with glue. ............................ I tried the search, but only found threads about completely removing the side trim fom XJs, and apparently they don't use clips at all, just glue.
The XJ's and XK's don't use clips. The door mouldings are secured with double sided tape. I checked the Parts Catalogue and there's no clips listed for the X-Type door moulding:

Side door moldings-x-type-door-moulding.jpg

Any chance the PO has been there before with an improvised fix?

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Lcgi (04-25-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
The XJ's and XK's don't use clips. The door mouldings are secured with double sided tape. I checked the Parts Catalogue and there's no clips listed for the X-Type door moulding:

Attachment 40796

Any chance the PO has been there before with an improvised fix?

Graham
Huh, weird. I guess maybe the PO did some redneck engineering. That sucks.

I pulled out the clip, looks like there was only one and it was near the end toward the rear. The first half is on securely, so I don't think I want to remove the whole strip. It starts to peel away right about in the middle, so I might just try and clean up both sides and put some double sided tape starting at the middle and all the way out to the edge. Removing the whole piece and starting from scratch would probably be easier, but I don't want to risk making things any worse.

Why the hell anyone would drill a hole in the door and put in a plastic clip is beyond me. All id did was hold the end part of the trim on. There was still a gap near the middle.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:28 AM

I fixed it yesterday using the 3M double sided tape for auto trim. That stuff works great! I only had to hold pressure on it for about 2 seconds.