X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slight Grinding noise from transfer box

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2022, 09:14 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cool Slight Grinding noise from transfer box

So I seem to have a slight grinding noise coming from the transfer box as well as an oil leak from it.I was a bit concerned that the noise might be something else as it disappears when the clutch is depressed but my local indie mechanic who I have used and trusted for 20 years assures me that transfer box noises can sometimes be less pronounced when not under load from the gearbox.especially during early stages of wear.
Have decided to source one off ebay which arrived today with a 90 day money back warranty. Just hoping that this will sort the problem

Old 04-16-2022, 09:46 AM

Can anybody on here confirm that it is possible for transfer box noises to be more pronounced when under load than when the clutch is disengaged ?

Old 04-18-2022, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,998 Likes on 794 Posts

Hi Blues Boy,
I don't have the AWD model, but from what I have seen in comments in this forum regarding transfer cases for the 2.5 and 3.0 variants, they do suffer from higher noise when worn. Some noise is to be expected from any gear system operating, but by many accounts they can get pretty noisy.
It seems they do not carry much oil within them and what they do carry does tend to foul up and often get overlooked by many prior owners and garages as a need to be maintained, causing premature wear and failure.
Much the same as the auto trans fluid which was claimed to be the life of the car...fine if you are only expecting the car to live for 100K, but like any trans should be regularly changed to keep in good condition. (you have a manual so this comment is not entirely applicable but made for a point).

In my experience, worn gears will always produce more noise under driving load rather than when in backlash (unloaded) as the pitted or worn mating surfaces are not under load or even in play when operating in backlash and effectively running on the reverse face of the gears.
The same can be said for some bearing noises also, when loaded can produce significant rumble compared to unloaded freewheeling (although you still tend to hear bearings rumble with little load on them).

FYI: I think there are two transfer cases for the X-type, the earlier was gear driven, the later production models perhaps is a viscous coupling (if my memory serves me correctly having read other threads).
As I said, I do not have the AWD model, so I am only offering what I have gleaned myself from reading other postings here.
Perhaps another member that has had direct transfer case issues themselves will be able to chime in and offer their thoughts and experience to you.

Good luck with your swap out, keep us posted as to your progress and outcome.

Old 04-18-2022, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 761 Likes on 678 Posts

2002 through 2004 until change, the transfer case was using a Visteon transfer case and viscous coupling. After change in 2004 the viscous coupling was eliminated and ECU change, electronic traction control (w & w/o DSC), etc.

Old 04-18-2022, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,998 Likes on 794 Posts

Thanks Dell....I had recalled there was engineering change - just got the migration back to front.

BTW...spotted a 2001 Carnival Red 3.0 AWD up for sale here recently that looked to have been very well looked after, even had a recently overhauled transfer case (unit sent back to Coventry apparently for specific o/haul).
Pretty tempted to take a 4 hour drive down to go and look at it.
As you know I am pretty keen to get a AWD model, I just don't want to head back too many years.

Old 04-19-2022, 02:44 AM

Thanks for that Mark. The job being started tomorrow ,will update when done.

Old 04-19-2022, 03:42 AM

The 2001 you are looking at may not have the viscous coupling in the transfer case if it's had a replacement as the later years boxes are interchangeable with the early models.The general consensus seems to be that the later ones are stronger without the viscous coupling but give less of an AWD experience.The car you mention sounds well worth a look

Old 04-21-2022, 02:54 AM
Smile Job Done

Well, job done yesterday and took about 6 hours.On strip out we found that 1 of the bolts (not the famous awkward one ) was missing and another a bit loose so was tempted to just tighten them up ,re-assemble and see how it was.but as there was a visible slight leak at the propshaft output and I already had a replacement SH unit decided to carry on with the change.So glad we did..
With both cases off the car it was noticeable when hand turning that the old unit seemed to have a bit of play and slight noise which I suppose would have been amplified under normal driving load.
Took her out for test drive after re-assemble with new case and what a difference ! So smooth and quiet.The new case is from an older model than mine ,although it is very low mileage and I was assured that it had been refurbed and tested.Being from the older model it should have the viscous coupling which ,although I know can be more delicate ,many on here say gives a better AWD feeling.
Just so pleased that job is done.