X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smelly Exhaust Fumes/Gases

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 07:59 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Smelly Exhaust Fumes/Gases

The exhaust fumes on my X type smells very bad. Does this mean it needs a tune up or something.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:44 AM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Just posted this in another thread. If it smells like rotten eggs, have the catalytic converters checked. I'm assuming cars delivered to Africa have them installed. Also, where are you getting the smell? Outside when standing behind/near the car or inside the cabin? If it's inside, you probably have an exhaust leak which is (obviously) a dangerous health risk. If it's just the catalyst and the car runs fine, there isn't any immediate danger, it just smells bad. On the bright side, the converters may be covered by warranty long after the rest of the car. Not sure about Africa but in the USA I think it's a law they have to be covered for something like 8 years minimum. Check before you pay out of pocket because they aren't cheap (contain platinum).

The following users liked this post:
mmolaik (03-17-2011)
Old 03-17-2011, 01:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C5pilot
Just posted this in another thread. If it smells like rotten eggs, have the catalytic converters checked. I'm assuming cars delivered to Africa have them installed. Also, where are you getting the smell? Outside when standing behind/near the car or inside the cabin? If it's inside, you probably have an exhaust leak which is (obviously) a dangerous health risk. If it's just the catalyst and the car runs fine, there isn't any immediate danger, it just smells bad. On the bright side, the converters may be covered by warranty long after the rest of the car. Not sure about Africa but in the USA I think it's a law they have to be covered for something like 8 years minimum. Check before you pay out of pocket because they aren't cheap (contain platinum).
The smell is at the back of the car. No smell inside. Thanks for the advice.