X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

smoking engine & misfires o.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2022, 08:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default smoking engine & misfires o.0

greetings all once again to bring you to my troublesome x-type. this one mightttt be my fault a little however I can't tell.

I drove through really rough rain that was about 5-6 inches deep in some areas, no biggy. however there is an issue with my coil packs that may have caused the smoke/misfiring.
I just recently installed a new oxy sensor bank 1 sens 2 and new spark plugs as well as gaskets. NOW when I installed the spark plugs I ran into two issues. One I've already made a thread about here jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/cylinder-seal-disintegrated .
The two issues were the metal seal on the engine that the coil packs sit around turned to dust somehow as well as one of the coil packs bolts got stuck broken off into the engine block and after breaking a screw extraction kit I said screw it and just pushed it down hard and hoped it wouldn't pop up. For a few weeks now its been fine zero issues at all. However once driving it through the deep rain for a while it developed a chugging feel and then got worst and worst while I was just trying to get home.

While pulling into my parking garage it started to smell like straight gas/smoke and I parked and saw smoke coming from the cowl pretty rapidly. Pulled up my OBD2 because I saw a flickering check engine light and kept getting errors but I finally got it to work and the codes were P0305 & P1316. Now my first thought is something I believe @Thermo told me about with having a lack of seal on the coil packs to the engine was that "if I sprayed it w a water hose I'd have no spark from water in the well" which honestly definitely could have happened with how deep and awful this water was.

The main things I'm concerned and confused about however is these below.
1. If water got in the well of the spark plugs then WHY did it cause it to smoke?
2. Was it smoke or was it steam from it burning off the engine or wherever?
2A. If it was steam why did it smell like straight gas?
3. Why did it get worst over a period of about 10 minutes once the rain was dying down?

4.[a side question] My driver side SIDE blinker doesn't blink at all even after being replaced, is there a fuse for just the drivers side blinker? Cord + connections seemed fine.

I know either way I need to get new seals for this I just need to know if its something worst because the smoke coming from the engine was quite alarming and has me thinking it was something else. Thank you to any that reply with any suggestions.
Video of the smoke here -> Google Photos Shared Album p.s I know my engine NEEDs a real cleaning and its about to get it just had many issues with it even being drive-able to tackle first.

Old 07-07-2022, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,903 Likes on 757 Posts

Sounds odd, if you had some residual pooled gas sitting in a casting depression of the engine or gearbox (I did after taking my intake manifold off last time), your venture through deeper water might have flushed it out and splashed it onto the firewall or exhaust.
If it got into the sound absorbing material of the firewall, then it might take some time to evaporate and clear itself.
The only other source might be the evap pipes and solenoid beside the brake servo, if something there has dislodged.
Your bank 2 O2 sensors plug in around the same bracket point.....so you might just want to visually investigate that area for disturbance.

As for your RHS repeater light.....if the right front indicator is still working normally, then you are either looking at a bad bulb or bulb socket, bad plug to the repeater or a bad earth connection (one of two found under the RHS headlight assembly).
If you have no right front indicator also, then you are checking continuity back to the GEM module plug JB172 pin 3.

Old 07-07-2022, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 732 Likes on 654 Posts

You need blinker fluid, it's low

Old 07-07-2022, 10:46 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,890 Likes on 3,197 Posts

vegang, the top of the motor is good at pooling stuff which can lead to what you are seeing. I think the "smoke" that you were seeing was actually steam. You would not be the first to make that mistake. As for the smell, I would venture to guess there was a slight breeze and what you were smelling was the exhaust getting pushed to the front of the car.

Based on what you described, you probably had a number of misfires, specifically cylinder 5. BUt, you may have had some on other cylinders. The best advise that I can see is to repair the seals on the coils and if you need to extract a bolt from the top to get the ability to seat the coil, that is going to be money well spent to not have to deal with water getting in the plug well.

Old 07-07-2022, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 732 Likes on 654 Posts