Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

snow plow on an X

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default snow plow on an X

I had an interesting idea today. I have wanted to buy a truck and put a snow plow on it for a few years now. Well I thought, what if I could find I high mile non-perfect X-Type and put a snow plow on it! It is a very comfortable car, good gas mileage, and has AWD! For you jag techs, in theory would this be possible? Or is this the dumbest idea you have ever heard of?

Old 02-13-2008, 08:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: snow plow on an X

Well, to be honest the X-Type is a good AWD "car" but you don't want to use a car to plow snow. People use trucks because they are much higher off the ground making them much more practical to plow snow.

You would need a custom plow and you would have a high risk of damaging the car if it's even possible. You would probably have to plow for 3 years just to get back what it would cost you to install. I honestly don't even think it's possible without losing crucial visibility.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts

Theoretically, anything can be done, however, I done think the x will cope with extra weight.
plus it is underpowered. Different driving on snow than pushing it.
You could take bumper skin off and bolt to supports. Fabricate lightwight shovel.
Theoretically......

Old 02-13-2008, 09:15 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

jvegas, i've learned from reading these posts...is that you are one idea generating machine.[sm=smiley14.gif]

This one, however, may be at the lower end of your award winners. lol...keep them coming though! you crackin me up

Old 02-13-2008, 09:19 PM

lmao. Man i'm laughin so loud right now. X is way way way underpowered. Those snow plow pickups are like F250 Superdiesals. lol They have SO MUCH FREAKING Torque and not to mention like 2ft of ground clearance.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:20 PM

Not to mention the Transfer case and transmission would blow up even faster than they are right now.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah cracking us all up for sure! The problem the car has is ground clearance. You wouldn't be able to plow when you really need to, i.e. getting more than 6 inches of snow! You jack the car up it may be possible but that drivetrain would be killed by all that extra weight plus the plow! Here's what a truck gets you...check out this video...Turn your volume off though you don't need to listen to the idiot speak...Otherwise that is seriously one of my favorite videos! I wish our jag could do half of that! BTW I did the whole drifting around the island thing with my brothers and its sooo much more fun than just doing a donut! Takes a little more control of the throttle and what not!

Old 02-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member

ok, many valid points. but.......... what would you need ground clearance for? the plow is on the front of the car!

Old 02-14-2008, 07:14 AM

I think you can figure out why you would need ground clearance. Look at the wheel wells of a truck and then compare how much snow might build up in comparison to the X-Type. Doesn't matter if there is a plow on your car if its immobile.

The most important thing you need to worry about would be the cost and practicality and neither add up to a logical investment.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member

damn! back to the drawing board..........

Old 02-14-2008, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member

i agree, i think it might work!

Old 02-14-2008, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

Snow ploughs need X types not the other way around!!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3hu4iHYVkdw

Old 02-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

make it stop.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: bojangles

ORIGINAL: jvegas

ok, many valid points. but.......... what would you need ground clearance for? the plow is on the front of the car!
Idont get the ground clearance problem either... if the plow pushes the snow out of the way, why do you need ground clearance.. the car would be travelling on cleared roads.

Maybe backing up? Turning around?

I also dont get the need for power... We have a 20HP lawn tractor that can push a 3 foot wideplow easily through the snow... Pay close attention to the next pick-up that plows a road or driveway near you, you will hear the sound of the blade on the ground, sometimes they are very quiet, but you never hear engines roar.

Bo have you not drivern yoru car in deep snow? Are you going to keep the plow down on every road you drive down? The car does a crappy job in deep snow and you found this out I don't understand why you don't get needing ground clearance. The car gets stuck on flat ground let alone getting into someone's driveway that has any kind of downhill angle to it which you'd have one heck of a time trying to get back out. What happens when your front end is into the push you just made and your rear end got swung into a pile of snow? Has anyone on here ever plowed before? The trucks need power to push the snow that is in front of it, although if it gets too heavy for the blade it is made so that the plow swings forward, what happens when you've driven over the snow you just plowed and are stuck because the belly of the car is so low? Get the reason for ground clearance guys?

Old 02-14-2008, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  6.3 KBName:  X6JYMSAAB5.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  6.1 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  6.4 KB

X types as snow plowsnovel idea....lol

Are you an inventor jvegas or what?

Jim

Old 02-14-2008, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member

kind of...

Old 02-14-2008, 11:47 PM

ORIGINAL: aquill1
Bo have you not drivern yoru car in deep snow? Are you going to keep the plow down on every road you drive down? The car does a crappy job in deep snow and you found this out I don't understand why you don't get needing ground clearance. The car gets stuck on flat ground let alone getting into someone's driveway that has any kind of downhill angle to it which you'd have one heck of a time trying to get back out. What happens when your front end is into the push you just made and your rear end got swung into a pile of snow? Has anyone on here ever plowed before? The trucks need power to push the snow that is in front of it, although if it gets too heavy for the blade it is made so that the plow swings forward, what happens when you've driven over the snow you just plowed and are stuck because the belly of the car is so low? Get the reason for ground clearance guys?
Thank you! I fully agree. Those trucks need to be able to back up through snow too. Not just push it forward. The x-type won't be that good backing up through 1ft+ of snow. lol trust me...i've tried.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:51 PM

Plus if anyone gets their driveway cleaned, You know that they come up to your garage, put the plow down, and reverse pulling the snow between the plow and front bumper to the street. Now since they are like 2ft high, this is no problem for them. It would be impossible in any car.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

The trans is crappy enough as is...good luck with that one.

Quick Reply: snow plow on an X