Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sound system

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: sound system

What kind of relay? Black and says ford on the top? If so I replaced one of those relays and they were like 12 at a local auto parts store...I'd be more interested in my own amp and sub but using the factory box and rigging something. They've got jl w0 8's that only take 75 watts that would add a lot of bass compared to the stock subs and they are buy one get one right now and cost between 80-100 bucks at the local car audio shops...personally though bo aftermarket converters are much better than the hi level input on the amps themselves. You can get much better sound quality out of a third party company to hook that converter (with rca's) into the amp. I've got some nice 5 channel amps I can get for less than 200 bucks (I think) that are mb quart to match with some mb quart component speakers. I'd go that route if I did do something with my radio...

Old 12-26-2007, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

xdave,

I have not seen the sub-box version Bruce described. The newer systems I have seen had the 6.5 subs hanging on the shelf w / no box. The 05 I looked at had the amp mounted underneath the subs and the 06 loaner I just had seemed to have relocated the amp to above the disk changer out of sight.

I'd love to get the seperate sub control, How much is / where are you selling theharness? What is the simpler design? FYI, I do not have the CD changer, will this still work?

Old 12-26-2007, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member

Who are you talking to rick?

Old 12-27-2007, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aquill1,

xdave posted on page 2 about a way to upgrade the standard stereo to the premium. I don't really care for the stock stuff but I would like to add the sub control feature. He says if you add his harness, it activates the DSP and sub controls on the stock radio.

If anything, I'd like to understand how the Jag radio system works. I figured the head unit is the same for all variations, and has a low power AMP built in. It looks like if you add the Jag external AMP, the head unit sends the sound info to the AMP via D2B, and the AMP then powers the door speakers and the subs.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member

Oh ok I was just curious...thought you were looking for an aftermarket amp...BTW the harness you speak of will it help in adding an aftermarket amp?

Old 12-27-2007, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 362 Posts

To Rick: The harness would upgrade any model or year X-Type to the 2007MY spec, which can be used with any of the Alpine D2B/MOST amplifiers from 2004MY-onwards X-Types, 2004MY-onwards S-Types, or any 2004-onwards XJ (X350). It gives you full integrated control over the subs and DSP settings via commands sent over the SCP network and then translated onto D2B via the stereo head unit to be sent to amplifier. The amplifier then generates the audio from the digital data and directly powers the front mid speakers, front tweeters, all rear speakers, and each sub, according to the audio input decided by the head unit and any of your post-processing settings. It doesn't matter if you have the CD changer, touch screen controls, telephone or voice systems installed.

If you are interested in a harness please send me a private message and we can take it from there. I don't like to publicly list prices because a) I make these in my free time andonly charge for parts and thus the costs change as the designs improve, and b) I don't want to be accused of using this (and the other forums I contribute to) for selling anything. I always post the instructions so other with the correct skills can make the changes themselves if they want to.

To aquill1: The harness, like the stereo head unit,will only work with the OEM amplifier for the fully integrated options. It will not help in any way if you want to install an aftermarket system because you are, by nature of the changes to make the OEM amplifier work, isolating all of the speakers from the stereo head unit. You are creating a system that is entirely driven by the amplifier with D2B/MOST signals and I have yet to find an aftermarket device which supports the correct protocols.

That said, an observation I've made while working on my XJ (X350) is that the rear-multimedia system appears to integrate theD2B network with the Alpine AI-Net system, which means that in theory it should be possible to attach any AI-Net compatible device in place of the DVD player, and have it work with the OEM systems for audio and/or video. I can't see any reason why, with the correct harnessing changes, the rear-multimedia controls cannot be fitted to any other Jaguar model with the same telematics and entertainment systems to give the same options--it is afterall only copper and light.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  7.4 KB

Good info Xdave..........top man

Jim

Old 12-28-2007, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member

Ok dave I think I got you...my 02 though you wouldn't be able to help me out anyways because it is not 2004 onwards?

If you were able to get this harness than would I be able to find out which wires in the harness that mounts in the rear are speaker wires to convert them to rca's or would this not be possible as they aren't actual speaker wires rather just a signal being sent through fiber optics or whatever and than the amp converts that signal into signal that goes to the speaker...I probably have you confused now...I guess it doesn't matter though I could just tap into the speaker wires and run the converter either way....

Old 12-28-2007, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member

Aquill, the harness upgrades any car to have the post 2004 system, not just later cars. It would be of no use to convert the speaker pairs to RCAs because they only exist at the OEM amplifier end--there are no wires carrying audio signals around the car, that is carried over optical network messages to the ampinstead. The harness effectively isolates the head unit from the speakers so it is just a dumb box with a volume control. With the OEM standard system from any year you can take the speaker pairs either at the doors or at the head unit, and do with them what you want. There will be no wiring for any subs so you just add that yourself, and the head unit doesn't know any better.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey while we are at the subject, why would you want the ound to be any louder then it is now man. You guys are all gonna be deaf at 50 years old. If you have a passenger or a friend your not just gonna blast the music the whole time.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member

I agree with Jason, I don't like loud music 90% of the time, but occasionally something comes on the radio that I love and want to wack the sound up so I can sing along without scaring the local wildlife. I consider it my contribution to savng the local envrionment...

The DSP makes a considerable difference for voice though, taking the base away from your side, so for the talking between the radio tracks it sounds like the presenter/s are sitting three feet in front of you, rather than somewhere over your left shoudler. It has the same effect for the sat nav instructions too. It also means that when I am carrying kids/people in the back who are watching a movie or listening to music that I don't really like, I can switch the sound to the rear and immediately loose that 'talking in front of me' effect so I am not actively listening to it all the time.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member

I know but any system I've listened to with a speaker level converter sucks for quality...I'll have to just deal with the converter than...And jason have you ever listened to a car with subs in it? I'm not talking about massive air movement or anything...better yet you ever listened to a home theater system and turned off the sub? Once you've listened to something with bass it is hard to be happy with the stock stereo in the car...think about it most of the people on here are altering their stock 6.5 sub in the trunk and the car sounds even worse with no subs or premium sound!

A little off topic but I was modifying my brothers sub in his explorer sport trac he just bought and added a jl audio w0 8" sub to replace his whistling pioneer sub that came with the truck/suv. Well be building a box wednesday for it because that stock box doesn't do it any justice!

Old 12-29-2007, 10:27 PM

Yes guys I understand but My 04 is pretty loud and the bass is excellent I dont see why I would want it anylouder. Some people at our school pay close to a thousand for music and im like wtf. You would be like hes a teen, he wants a sub or wahtever but messing with the electrical components ain the the best for the car and yes I have a home theater system but listening to this or on the plasma doesnt make a huge off a difference to pay hundreds more for sound. Just my opinion.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member

Come to my house and watch a movie with me! I'll turn the sub off and you'll see how devastating it is to the sound! There's no sense in having surround sound w/out a sub. Go to a theater and listen carefully for the bass...that is what its all about!

Old 01-04-2008, 07:06 PM

Do you have a daughter or someone around 16 and ill come and watch a movie with her lol

Old 01-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member

Dude I just turned 23 on the 31st...be a little hard with the anatomy of a 7 year old to get er' done! If you know what I'm saying!

Old 01-04-2008, 07:36 PM

lol damn aquil your only 23 your young man.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  6.3 KBName:  X6JYMSAAB5.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  6.1 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  6.4 KB

Jeeesh Aquill, I knew you were gettin close to Jason, but, potential son in law material?....lol
J/k Jase mate

Jim

Old 01-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member

Hey he was the one trying to get a date with a daughter I don't have! Shoot I just wanted to show him the importance of a sub!

Besides didn't you say you wouldn't post a pic on here to protect our ego's? Your the one asking for a date with a girl!