X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SpartanX's TARP for his 2002 Jaguar X-Type

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SpartanX's TARP for his 2002 Jaguar X-Type

At no fault of her own, the 2002 Jaguar X-Type Sport, owned by me, SpartanX, has experienced some severe neglect over the past 10 months due to my strenuous schedule. However, over that time, the 2nd love of my life has some issues, which will be corrected over the next few months.

The Troubled Automobile Relief Program, courtesy of Uncle Sam, will assist in restoring my 2002 Jaguar X-Type Sport to its glory days, as its seen better days. It was hit back in November, which required a rear bumper, and one day I had not one, but 2 flat tires, which led to 4 new ones. My repair list is as follows...

CV Joint - I think I heard it click this week
Cabin Filter - Wet passenger floor mat
Cracked wood trim - It sat for most of the summer. I think heat may have been a factor
Buzzing Propshaft (?) That weird high pitched buzz, especially its <20 degrees
Suspension - the front sounds like the shocks are bottoming out. Bushings?
Headlights - Done, that Audi Forum sandpaper trick worked like a charm
Wheels - My wife severely curbed two of my wheels. So she authorized me to buy some
CD Changer - Hasn't worked in a year, so I'm just gonna buy a new one.

Well, I'm about to spend probably a rediculous amount of my tax dollars on this car. Any reason why I shouldn't? I've been thinking so much about just buying a new car, but the fact that we just purchased one is more than enough reason not to. However, I've been teased by great lease offerings on... non-Jaguar cars...

Old 01-21-2009, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SpartanX's TARP for his 2002 Jaguar X-Type

that does sounds like quite a lot of work to be done on the car ..... good luck, and certainly glad you're still keeping to the baby jag

Old 01-22-2009, 03:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  6.3 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  6.4 KBName:  T15ESSST101-1.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  9.9 KBName:  tshirt03-2.jpg
Size:  6.0 KB

Hey Spartan, sorry to hear about the issues with your X, sometimes lifekinda gets in the way of stuff we'd normally do.....been there, done that...lol

If/whenyou decide to tackle these jobs I'm sure there's knowledge here that can help, maybe even get some good deals on parts from some of the guys here if you decide to do the work yourself or know a mechanic that can.
Glad that the hazy headlight remedy posted up worked well for you as it has for quite a few others
Re the alloys - Remember there's a great thread about refurbing your own alloys to " AS NEW " standard for not a lot of money and a little effort. If you do decide to go for new wheels. Check Ebay - there are some fantastic deals on stock Genuine Jaguar alloys c/w new tyres for a fraction of the cost of a set of new tyres on their own!!!
You could then refurb your own set and either keep them for spare or sell them on Ebay and get a few $$$$ back.

Whatever you decide to do and whether you keep or sell the Jag and get sumthin else, hopefully you'll stick around.

All the best

Jim

Old 01-22-2009, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Hope you decide to take on the challenge and get your X back in tip top form. Althought I certainly couldn't blame you if you made a change. I don't know about you, but any slight problem with a vehicle drives me absolutely crazy until it is fixed. I'm a little OCD.

As for wheels - OEM's are expensive, and sometimes if the curb rash it too severe, refurbishing is unrealistic. I suggest scanning Discount Tire and Tirerrack for a new set of rims and tires. There are plenty of great styles and choices. I went with Discount Tire Direct and got a nice set of Voxx 17's with tires for around a grand. Maybe this slight change will re-ignite your passion for the X?

The cabin filter is a 10 minute, $25 dollar job.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:24 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,901 Likes on 3,205 Posts

Spartan, stop on by and we will get you hooked up with replacing things. The only word of caution that I will tell you is that I will be moving in April, so, don't wait until then as I will be too busy to help out. Starting about April 1, things will be too busy for me to help. I am retiring from the Navy, finding a new job, and then moving somewhere else. We can get most of that stuff done in a short period of time.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 14
Views: 17
Views: 15

Wow.....what a great offer there Spartan from Thermo....nice one
As for the wheels, as I said, check Ebay. I got a set of 4 OEM Audi 17" wheels c/w tyres ( tryes alone woulda cost £600+ ) the rims? £450 each = a total of £2400 NEW. They had 30 miles on them and were basically as new and I got them for £435 delivered to my door, some really great bargains if you keep checking!
Jim

Old 01-22-2009, 10:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Thermo

Spartan, stop on by and we will get you hooked up with replacing things. The only word of caution that I will tell you is that I will be moving in April, so, don't wait until then as I will be too busy to help out. Starting about April 1, things will be too busy for me to help. I am retiring from the Navy, finding a new job, and then moving somewhere else. We can get most of that stuff done in a short period of time.
Thanks for the offer! And I'll surely take you up on it. February will be a good time to start because my training will be coming to an end and I'll have some down time. My wife and I are both in the Army, so things have been hectic over the past year but finally things are starting to calm down and I can at least relax a little for a while. Luckily we're stationed here, so finally no more moving and living out of a duffel bag.

I'm starting to gather all the parts now for the multiple little jobs I have to do. Despite all the knick knack things that have to be done, when she's washed up, my X just looks too good to let go. And since it's aged fairly well since Jag didn't change the design here in the states, I plan to hang on to her for a while.

I'll keep you guys posted on the progress and i'll post plenty of pix. Til then, time to get to work.

Thanks for the support. It's weird how a little motivation can make you realize that something's worth it to hang on to.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

This is a little OT, but needs to be said:

Thermo, I am always impressed at your generosity towards your fellow Jag owner. You offer to help in almost every thread. You are a real testement to the quality of people who own Jaguars, and serve our country.

If you are ever in Pittsburgh, send me a PM! (I happen to work for a certain agency that deals with veterans quite a bit).

Congrat's on your retirement!!

SpartanX - glad to hear you are going to tackle the job, and thank you for serving as well!

Old 01-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey spartan what is that Audi sandpaper thing u mentioned?

Old 01-23-2009, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 20
Views: 16
Views: 13
Views: 16

+1 on Chrisx comments re Thermo and Spartan X for serving the US and the free world

Jessy - see the hazy headlight remedy here - https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_20903/tm.htm

Jim