Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 07:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speaker Problems

Hi Everyoe,

I’ve had my X-Type 2002 since 2011. I am the second owner and purchased it in pristine condition. I love it, but I’m beginning to experience some minor (but annoying) issues.

I’m not sure my sound system was ever totally functional. The large speakers in the front drivers and passenger doors never worked. The smalls peakers (I think they are called tweeters, but just in case I am wrong I will use the descriptive to avoid confusion) in the front doors worked fine, and both small and large speakers in the back doors were fine as well. The same was true of the speakers in the back window. That was good enough for me.

While driving a few days back, something suddenly was different. It sounded like the radio station was mumbling- and every radio station was that way! My CDs mumbled. too! I could still hear the bass, but other tones were unclear.

After determining it must be the speakers, I tried to find which ones were still producing sound. It seems the small speakers in the front and back doors are still functioning. The speaker in the back window is putting out sound as well. However, none of the large speakers in the doors work now.

It was so sudden, I want to believe that a wire somewhere became loose or perhaps a fuse burned out. I don’t have a clue where to start with this problem! My gut says it’s something simple, but darned if I know what! Has anyone had a similar problem, or can advise me where to start looking?

Thanks,
Michelle

Old 02-02-2013, 11:04 AM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

It's s known falt. Jag speakers tend to short out. Get some new speakers and you'll be good as gold. I used Panasonics. Great sound and a lot better than just tweeters and a woofer!

The following 2 users liked this post by flyrr100:
henry k (02-02-2013), TypeXPersonality (02-02-2013)
Old 02-02-2013, 10:38 PM

Thanks for your reply. Looks like I will have to start shopping for speakers. I was hoping for a fuse, but I guess it could be worse. Appreciate the advice!

Old 02-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Kicker 6.5" component speakers installed in my X-Type when I added the DVD receiver, and it made quite a difference for a small amount of cash. You can get decent speakers in that size for a very reasonable price.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:23 PM

Hey,

I have noticed that the passenger side front speaker in mine gets a bit muffled and jumpy if the volume goes above 15-20 (depending on the song playing), and have had a look on eBay to see if I could find anything.

There are quite a few replacements for sale on their, but the vast majority I could see were used.

Can anybody recommend a good website/shop to get some new replacements, or even an upgraded set?

Mike

Old 02-04-2013, 08:13 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Do you have the Advent system if so there is a known problem where the glue that holds the paper cone to the magnet looses its grip and the speaker "falls" apart. Had to have three of mine replaced within the last year.

OBTW, I have an '05 3L with ~80K miles.
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 02-04-2013, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by dogfighter2111
Hey,

I have noticed that the passenger side front speaker in mine gets a bit muffled and jumpy if the volume goes above 15-20 (depending on the song playing), and have had a look on eBay to see if I could find anything.

There are quite a few replacements for sale on their, but the vast majority I could see were used.

Can anybody recommend a good website/shop to get some new replacements, or even an upgraded set?

Mike
Mike, in the past, I have used

Car Audio Giants - "Giant Savings, Giant Selection...Since 1991"
WoofersEtc.com - The Online Car Audio Superstore, the Largest Selection at the Lowest Prices!
Home | Ikesound - Car Audio wholesale distributor Alpine Pioneer HID Lights Kenwood Viper JVC MBQuart
Kitchen Appliances, Cookware, Bakeware, Car electronics, Home Audio, Speakers, Receivers and Home Theater Systems, Compare Prices, customer and user reviews, Features, Accessories, Specifications

for good prices. There are others, but they're a good place to start. Getting both of my amps from Car Audio Giants and my subwoofer custom built by Fi Audio.

Matt

Old 02-04-2013, 04:34 PM

Can someone give me an idea of a reasonable price for four (decent, durable but not top of the line) speakers with installation? I got my first quote today and it was WAY more than I feel I'm ready to spend.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same thing happened in my wife's 2002 xtype so I went to Crutchfield in town and got 2 sets of polk audios and the kid gave me the ones that came with the tweeters although I just wanted the 6.5" (no tweeters) each pair was $79 but the ones with the tweeters were $149 -- got charged for the $79/pair and got home and saw that he gave me the $149 pair.....the stock speakers were like paper so they made a difference--btw go on ebay and get a bag of door clips because I broke every one even using snap on panel removal tools...

David

The following users liked this post:
TypeXPersonality (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 02:37 PM

Thank you, David. I feel like I'm really getting the run around down here. One place quoted me over $1K with installation! Pure nonsense! The big box store first sold me a set of coaxial speakers, and when I got back to the installer it turns out they won't touch a Jag. Big box installer referred me to the dealership (which will not happen) and another "after market" place came in with a lower overall estimate (about 1/2 price) than the first, but said it might well be the amp, not the speakers so it's all very iffy.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:21 AM

To install the two sets of component speakers and the touchscreen DVD head unit, I only paid $180. I had bought the speakers and head unit online and took the items to three custom shops in the area and played them against each other. It turns out that I work with the cousin of the one shop's owner and he gave me a good deal. Anyway, my point is to go to multiple car stereo or custom shops if you have that option and don't be afraid to tell them your lowest price so far and see if they can beat it, especially if you decide to get the speakers online and all you really need done is the labor.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:34 PM

Thanks Matt.

There were some good deals on those sites, shame they don't ship to the UK but at least I have a better idea as to what I am looking out for.

Jaguar shopping trip coming up I think! Haha.

Mike

Old 02-10-2013, 12:02 PM

Sorry, Mike. For some reason, I assume everyone is in the US even though I own a German car, a British car, and a British motorcycle to go along with my Dodge truck.