X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer not working! Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 01:10 AM
Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Speedometer not working! Please help.

I have researched all around to figure out this problem, so now I have to post this to get answers. The problem is my speedometer stopped working and the needle is all the way to the right!!!

It was working perfect the day I dropped my car off at a shop to get painted. A week later when I picked up my car, the speedometer was broken and I was getting the c1155 code. So I took off the speed sensor and cleaned it. I put it back in the car and scanned for more codes and the c1155 didn't show up again, but the speedo was still broken.

I have no check engine light, and no abs warnings. Everything seems to drive fine and brake fine. The car is also counting miles and the odometer works too.

If the speed sensor that I cleaned is still bad, it would have showed me the c1155 code instantly right? Should I replace the speed sensor with a brand new one or should I look into buying a new cluster? What else could it be?

Please help me troubleshoot this problem, thanks in advance.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:24 AM

I fixed it!!!!! And I am so happy right now! This is how I did it, just in case your in the same position.

Remember I told you that the needle was all the way to the right. Well I turned the ignition on , but not starting car. I then disconnected battery, turned off key... then turned the key back to ignition, without turning on engine.

I notice that the needle jumped back a tiny bit to the left when i shut off key. So I literally did this process about 30 times until the needle moved back all the way to 0. I then drove around my block and the speedometer was working normally!!!

I guess my speed sensor was very dirty... but I fixed it after I cleaned it. I just had to get the needle back to 0. So you gotta turn the ignition on and off over n over until the needle goes back!

Hope this helps yall in the future!

Old 11-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have this problem but Im just curious... how long did you leave the battery disconnected... you did not mention reconnecting it.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:34 PM

I only disconnected battery for 1 minute while the car was turned on the ignition, but not starting engine. Then I reconnected battery and did the on/off ignition process until the speedometer slowly moved back into place.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:00 AM

Problem is not fixed. Speedometer works sometimes and other times it only reads half the speed. I thought I fixed the sensor by cleaning it, but I guess not. So I went ahead and ordered a new sensor online and I should get it sometime this week.

Also sometimes when I drive home and turn up on my driveway, the abs and dsc warning lights come on. Im sure it is related to the c1155 code I was getting. Do you think I could have a problem with the wheel bearings? Would that give me a c1155 code if the bearings were bad?

I'm a try the new sensor first and see if that fixes the problem, if not I think I'm a get some new wheel bearings. What do yall think?

Old 12-01-2013, 01:34 AM

So I took apart my cluster and i had to manually move the needle to the correct position. It seems to have fixed my speedometer problem so far, I hope it stays fixed now. I will let yal know.