Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport-Mode Works Well

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport-Mode Works Well

A narrative...

For anyone wondering, the Sport-mode button on the X works very well.

It appears that I have a bad case of "road-rage." I've suspected this from incidents I've had in the past, but now it's confirmed.

I was driving into NYC friday night on the Cross Bronx Expressway in the vicinity of the George Washington Bridge when some A-hole in a Cadillac CTS cut me off and nearly caused me to run into a concrete wall when our lanes merged. Not only did he cut me off and almost get me killed when I had the right of way, but had the nerve to give me the finger after having done.

I flash my high-beams and start honking my horn uncontrollably in a fit of rage, but it's futile as the CTS has already sped away. [:@] Had I been a little more mature, I probably would have just taken a deep breath and relaxed and let it pass... too bad I'm not. So what do I do?

I hit the Sport button and floor the pedal to give chase; the thought process (what little thought there was) being that if I were able to catch up to honk my horn, flash my highbeams, and give him the finger for even a second from up close, then the dumping of my old Toyota Camry to buy the Jag last May would have been all worth it.

So I accelerate, faster and faster down the Cross Bronx Expressway in an attempt to catch my vile offender. I think he notices me trying to pull-up behind him so he speeds up too. At one point we're/I'm crossing 110mph while weaving in-and-out of traffic when I wonder if I should slow down. ("Nah!")

Forum: Happilute, you're a retard.
Happilute: Yeah, I know. [:'(]

The X-Type's suspension made the car feel very stable, and the acceleration was remarkably smooth while emitting a beastly revving sound. I was wholly impressed (afterwards).

I eventually caught-up, pulled-up right next to the Cadillac and, in the tradition of New York City driving, started spewing a long string of obnoxious obsceneties out the window. He took the next exit he could and bounced. Now I feel better.

I love New York... and my car.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: Sport-Mode Works Well

Similar thing happened to me years ago about 1992...2 lanes merged into one...a tiny car Ihad right of way over got infront of me (mein my Citroen AX GT which was a 1.4 but quite quick except on top end...anyway) and pulled away.I flashed my lights and sped up right behind him.He stopped as the lights were red.I put the fingers up and shouted expletives...then to my horror... a 6'3" 300lb bloke with arms like Garth got out of the car and started walking (with a kind of sideways tilt left and right due to his sheer size) towards my car. I was boxed in...locked the doors put the window down an inch and muttered if Iremember"Hi, are you OK?"....anyone else and they would have had it.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  7.4 KB

Go Happilute
I used to suufer from ( let me rephrase that.....other motorists used to suffer from my ) roadrage pretty bad.
One of the worst / best examples was around 10 years ago
I was driving my wife into work on the M8 through Glasgow.......an absolute nightmare at the best of times and 10 times worse in rush hour ( which it was )
We were commin down to our junction which is around 3/4 of a mile long to let cars join traffic and leave the motorway.
As it was blocked I decided to use the hard shoulder for about 1/2 a mile and was just about there when some idiot tried to box me in ( and succeeded[&:]) I had to slow to avoid the concrete wall and pulled in behind him, which really pissed me off. We came down to the lights and they were RED, just like my frame of mind[:@][:@][:@]
He shouted at me..You're not allowed to use the hard shoulder!
I replied...Are you a cop? He said no......I said ...well WTF has it got to do with you, at which point he got out his car and started to walk towards me.[sm=badidea.gif]
I too got out my car, I'm 6'3" and built....lol........I shouted at him as he came towards me......Get the **** back in your car mate before I put you back in it in bits!!![:@][:@]
He turned around sheepishly and got back into his car and locked the doors as I walked towards him....lol
I had won......or had I?
This was on Friday morning.
I got a call from my boss on the Monday morning saying that A sergeant so and so from Maryhill police station had been in touch re some road rage incident.....[sm=oopssign.gif]
I had to attend the police station and answer their questions.....The upside was I had my wife with me as a witness ( although she probably woulda dobbed me in as she hates that sorta stuff ) and he had no witnesses.
I just denied everything and said it was a misunderstanding and a few polite words were exchanged, that was all.
They could prove nothing and I was let off with a caution

There are a few others but that was one of the best......ahhh memories

Jim

Old 10-01-2007, 04:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

I hate such retarded ******** . My a couple of tea is that cops should more deal with such idiotic drivers then speed traps . Be safe and try to keep your composure and temper otherwise you might loose your concentration which might be dangerous

Old 10-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member

Here's another story...
A few months back me andGlenn (ourbodyshop manager (who is a singer in the clubs on a weekend...but I digress)) were out collecting a damaged car.I drew the short straw and had to drive it back to our bodyshop with Glenn behind me.After driving most of the way arounda roundabout there was some t1t on my inside who I had to cut infront off...just missing him.Glenn was within sight behind and followed me back.Next day I get called into the reception by the boss.He tells me a driver of a car has reported me for damaging their car when cutting infront of them at a roundabout and that the police were on their way to question me about it so I could get my story straight.Glenn was sitting in there too.I said I never hit anyone and proceeded to describe how I had had room to make it.Glenn looked straight faced and said from where he was it did look very close.They kept this up for a good few minutes.Then I saw a slight smirk on Glenns face and I knew I hadbeen taken in (again) which was a big relief.They were p1ssing themselves laughing.This is the sort of thing everyone has to put up with from everyone else at our place.Everyone gives and takes (so to speak).One of the fitters who is 45 and nearly has a skinhead has just come back from 2 weeks in Turkey with his woman friend ...turned out he didnt know it was a resort where a lot of gays like to go and he nevergot it on with his friend.He made the mistake of telling us a (stranger) bloke went up to him in a cafe and put his arms around him.Now helikeswearing cowboy type boots and he had the p1ss taken out of him all through lunch break for looking like a gay if hed taken his hat and grew a moustache and the p1ss taking just escalated frm there about his friend getting it on with 18yr old Turks because he wouldnt, etc etc.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 21

Sounds like my kinda place Buck............Any jobs goin mate?

Jim

Old 10-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

That resort in Turkey sounds like your type of place Jim? Glad to know you've come out the closet mate. Great stories everyone, and I have my fare share as well, just too late to tell them all. I'll maybe post one tomorrow at work. Good night guys.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:20 AM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: bigdreams05 That resort in Turkey sounds like your type of place Jim?
PS Also in that resort there were a lot of wrinkly British women pensioners walking down the streets holding hands with 18 year old Turkish men [X(]

Old 10-02-2007, 03:42 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 20

ORIGINAL: bigdreams05
That resort in Turkey sounds like your type of place Jim? Glad to know you've come out the closet mate. Great stories everyone, and I have my fare share as well, just too late to tell them all. I'll maybe post one tomorrow at work. Good night guys.
Biggie......The workplace for havin a laff you Divvy...lol

Jim

Old 10-02-2007, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

LOL! I know mate, but had to give you a hard time. It didn't exactly sound right!

Old 10-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hold on, 110mph on the crossbronx??? I dont think i've ever done more than 12mph on the crossbronx. but yea, the x has amazing handling at speed for a 4 door sedan. but **** man 110 on that road im surprised this wasnt another thread bitching about flat tires lol

Old 10-04-2007, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol! anything's possible when you drive like a maniac.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah lol...I have toooo many stories and they are mostly recent and, well you guys know how my stories go I don't have enough time to give you guys even one of them!