X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter solenoid Clicks no start

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter solenoid Clicks no start

Have a 2003 X type owned since new with no real problems till now. Starter only clicks when ignition is turned on. Has a nearly new battery, cables check out. Swapped out the starter relay and changed the starter still same problem. I am a pretty good mechanic and well equipped to work on anything pre smog and computers, my hobby is restoring vintage Ford trucks, wife's car.
Came on suddenly drove the car on day and wouldn't start the next. Any thoughts.
Thanks Robert

Old 11-05-2014, 10:23 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Turn the headlights on and try to start. If they dim out, you've still a bad ground or the like to chase down.

Might even be the new battery.

The headlight test is a definitive test.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:25 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by robertcontr
Have a 2003 X type owned since new with no real problems till now. Starter only clicks when ignition is turned on. Has a nearly new battery, cables check out. Swapped out the starter relay and changed the starter still same problem. I am a pretty good mechanic and well equipped to work on anything pre smog and computers, my hobby is restoring vintage Ford trucks, wife's car.
Came on suddenly drove the car on day and wouldn't start the next. Any thoughts.
Thanks Robert
This happened to me when the car was parked for extending periods of time and the battery drained. You may want to check your battery and alternator…potentially a bad battery or the alternator isn't charging it.

My car would have the interior lights on, the radio would work, but it wouldn't even try to turn over, just the clicks.

Trickle charge the car overnight and if it starts in the AM, you have a battery/alternator problem.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
Bruce in North Dakota (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 10:35 PM

9 times out of 10 the battery, yes.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input. Battery registers 12.6 volts, lights don't dim when trying to start. tried an alternate ground and used my hot shot jumper fully charged no luck. Still just clicks.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:51 AM

Jump to the starter, see if it cranks then. Will help narrow down the problem if it does. Might be switch, bad POS wire internals, etc.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:08 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

robert, try this: Connect a multimeter across the battery posts. With the engine off, it should read 12.6 VDC. As you attempt to start the car, watch the multimeter (may require a second person). Did the battery drop to 11.5 VDC or so? If yes, then you have a bad starter (yes, may be new, but possible). If it drops to below 11.0, then you have a bad battery. If it stays up near 12.6 VDC (12.4 or higher), then you are not getting power to the starter motor. This should help eliminate a lot of stuff and leave you with a very limited number of options as to what the problem can be.

On a side note, when you are attempting to start the car, does the red light on the center console flash at you?

Old 11-10-2014, 03:04 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you try the trickle charge?

When my x was doing this, it couldn't even be jumped. The only way it would start was to trickle charge it for a few hours and then start it.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:25 PM
Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Mine did something similar once and it was actually the started relay if I recall under the hood ( located in area just above the battery ). I had been messing around with something else in there and I had inadvertently moved it a little and seemed to have not made a good contact. Later pulled it out again and reseated - car started right up.
You might try swapping another relay from another accessory if possible and give it a shot if you have a minute while checking some other things. G/L

Old 12-24-2019, 12:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by myexcursion
Mine did something similar once and it was actually the started relay if I recall under the hood ( located in area just above the battery ). I had been messing around with something else in there and I had inadvertently moved it a little and seemed to have not made a good contact. Later pulled it out again and reseated - car started right up.
You might try swapping another relay from another accessory if possible and give it a shot if you have a minute while checking some other things. G/L
I've been having the same problem with my 98 Jaguar XJ8 4.0 sometime it will sit a couple days and then it will start back up I changed two different starters on there and I even change the flywheel and still it clicks the starter works fine when I have it tested outside of the car