X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel issues

Just bought a 2005 Jaguar X-Type and I'm all excited (it has been two weeks already) :-) I have noticed some issues and wanted to get some help from my fellow Jag lovers.

Steering wheel makes whispy noise while turing complete left or right, I have read the forums about adding the additive to PS fluid. Should I go ahead and do it with the dealer or any advise is appreciated.

I need to replace Side Marker (Driver side) light, can someone help me how to remove the cover to replace the bulb?

Old 09-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by boston_jaguar
Just bought a 2005 Jaguar X-Type and I'm all excited (it has been two weeks already) :-) I have noticed some issues and wanted to get some help from my fellow Jag lovers.

Steering wheel makes whispy noise while turing complete left or right, I have read the forums about adding the additive to PS fluid. Should I go ahead and do it with the dealer or any advise is appreciated.

I need to replace Side Marker (Driver side) light, can someone help me how to remove the cover to replace the bulb?
Welcome to the club!

I have the same car, same year too. I'm not sure about the steering issue but I can tell you that all the side lights come off by simply sliding them a little bit and then prying them off. Some are easier to get than others and a small flat head screwdriver may be helpful. By sidemarker do you mean the front or rear one? Or did you mean the side turn signal?

Old 09-04-2012, 02:31 PM

Thanks for the reply...It is the front side turn signal..

Also, not sure what kind of servicing was done on my car previously...It has 79500 miles now...do you know the maintenance schedules by any chance, please advise me...Thanks a lot.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:24 PM

As far as the turn signal, there is only one on each side. But the sidemarkers are those lights at the corners of each bumper. There are 2 rear ones and 2 front ones and they don't blink, they simply illuminate when you turn your lights on.

The side turn signal is pretty easy to remove. Slide it toward the rear of the car (I think, if not try the other way) and then pry it up from the side closer to the front of the car. You can probably get it with your hands but if it's on there tight then just pry it with a flat head screwdriver.

You may find that the existing bulb in there has actually melted the plastic housing. Mine had, so I decided to switch to LED bulbs which are much cooler (looking and temperature wise).

As for the maintenance schedules, I know I've seen a PDF of the 10,000 mile service intervals on here somewhere but I can't remember off hand. Personally, I know that the transfer case is something to look out for on this car. I've got about 55k on my car right now and I'm looking to flush the transfer case in the next month or so. I think a local shop here quoted me at $70 to do that. Also, the front strut mounts wear out frequently and you'll start to feel a popping kind of sensation through the steering wheel. That's another thing mine has right now. I got the parts to fix it (2x strut mounts and 2x strut bearings) at JPLV for ~$160 shipped and a couple mechanics I know are going to help me install them.

Search this forum and you'll find the answers to pretty much all of your questions, there are some extremely knowledgeable people on here including some certified techs.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

To heck with using a flat-bladed screwdriver to slide the marker-light housing! If you don't immediately scratch the paint, you will end up skidding the screwdriver across the plastic lens and scarring it up!

A nice piece of wood or plastic is better - they won't scratch things up. Remember: this is your JAGUAR, man! You'd never forgive yourself for putting some big, hairy scratch on it. Even the most understanding priest would be reluctant to giving you absolution for scratching your own JAG!!!

As for the steering-wheel noise, it is common. The fix involves heating the fluid way up, and using a pump to circulate it and some additive through the system. There are more than a few threads on this here in the forum.

Mine does the same thing, but I elected to ignore it as it is a minor non-drivability issue. After an hour on the road, mine usually just stops making that little squeek, anyway. (my wife referred to the noise as the "Kitty caught a mouse" noise)

Invest the money you would spend on the fix into a buffing machine instead. Shine 'er up until your new Kitty glows in the dark!

Congratulations on your aquisition of a true World-Class Automobile, and welcome to this great, world-class forum!

Old 09-04-2012, 04:59 PM

I'm not sure how you planned on using the screwdriver but once you slide the side turn signal it reveals a recess which is where you would carefully wedge the screwdriver. Like I said, it's not on there that tight so you probably won't need to wedge anything under it. Unless someone super-glued it down I'm not sure how you would scratch your car or the top of the lens, especially since you wouldn't be doing anything with the top of the lens

Old 09-05-2012, 08:44 PM

Thank you all for your replies!

Old 09-09-2012, 05:30 AM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by boston_jaguar

The light should just flip out using a flat head screwdriver. Easy 5 minute fix.