X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Sticky" speedometer needle

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014 | 06:12 PM
|
Default "Sticky" speedometer needle

I've seen X-Type posts on speedometer needles not working properly, sometimes in conjunction with error lights or codes. However, my speedometer needle appears "sticky", meaning sometimes the needle will be stuck at zero, sometimes the needle with move in a jiggly motion (e.g. not a smooth rise of the needle when accelerating), and sometimes the needle will read speeds lower than actual. Sometimes the speedometer will act fine.

All the time, the speed coming from the OBDII (read via a HUD projector connected to the ODBII port or using Torque and a bluetooth-enable OBDII reader) is always correct. Also, cruise control always works, even when the needle is not operating correctly.

Does this sound like a mechanical issue or (more likely) an electrical issue? A connection problem or a bad component? Perhaps I need to take out the dashboard and open up the speedometer cluster. Anyone have any advice on taking the dash and speedometer cluster apart?

Thanks.

Old 12-23-2014 | 09:10 PM
Veteran member

Same, from the sounds of this, your speedo needle is rubbing the back face and all you need to do is to access the needle and flex the needle a little bit to keep it from rubbing. A quick check to prove this is to attempt to slide say 3 sheets of paper (1 on top of the other) under the needle and see if they slide easily under or if the always grab the needle and move it.

If the paper slides under easily, then it may be that the shift for the speedo needle needs a little bit of lube. I have some stuff at home that would work wonderfully. You can pick it up at most big hobby stores that sell rc cars and/or model trains. It is a small bottle with a needle attachment. A drop or two should be all that you need. The one name you might find is "Liquid Bearings". Most shops should know what you are after.

The following users liked this post:
samevo8 (01-07-2015)
Old 12-26-2014 | 01:08 AM
Default Tach needle too?

Thermo, might this also apply to the tach needle? My tach needle does the same thing as samevo8's speedometer needle. And, it sounds like I would need to remove the instrument cluster for this. Thanks.

Old 12-26-2014 | 09:43 AM
Veteran member

Mike, it is possible. As for removing the instrument cluster, it is not necessary, but may make things easier to see the problem.

The following users liked this post:
mikeb (12-26-2014)
Old 01-07-2015 | 01:09 AM
|

Thanks! Where would I spray the Liquid Bearings? Would I try to spray under the "joint" (where the needle pivots)?

Originally Posted by Thermo
Same, from the sounds of this, your speedo needle is rubbing the back face and all you need to do is to access the needle and flex the needle a little bit to keep it from rubbing. A quick check to prove this is to attempt to slide say 3 sheets of paper (1 on top of the other) under the needle and see if they slide easily under or if the always grab the needle and move it.

If the paper slides under easily, then it may be that the shift for the speedo needle needs a little bit of lube. I have some stuff at home that would work wonderfully. You can pick it up at most big hobby stores that sell rc cars and/or model trains. It is a small bottle with a needle attachment. A drop or two should be all that you need. The one name you might find is "Liquid Bearings". Most shops should know what you are after.

Old 01-07-2015 | 01:10 AM
|

Originally Posted by Thermo
Mike, it is possible. As for removing the instrument cluster, it is not necessary, but may make things easier to see the problem.
If the instrument cluster removal isn't necessary, how would I access the needle? There's a plexiglass/plastic panel separating me and the needle.

Thanks!

Sam

Old 01-07-2015 | 07:25 AM
Veteran member

Same, the oil that I recommend has a needle attachment on the end of it. So, you will slide this needle under the center of the dial in question to the metal shaft that is there and then place a single drop of oil there. The oil will then run down the shaft some and start seeping into the areas that have the tight tolerances to them.

As for accessing the dials. If you look on the outside edge, you should see a few screws there. You remove the screws, this should allow the clear cover to come off. This will then give you the access you need. Talk with Dr Dome about this. He can tell you down to the screw and where it is located and which ones need to be removed.