X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still alive... Roadtrip Maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Still alive... Roadtrip Maintenance?

Hi all, still alive. Still love the Jag, maybe a little less after parking lot scratches from terrible drivers.

Had the flywheel, starter replaced last year, made a post about it. She hasn't had any issues starting.

Biggest things lately were alignment, it was 2 degrees off at some points. I was sure I had an alignment done, but I noticed the tires were wearing on the inside, balding. Took to get it looked at when they said the alignment was really bad. Well, they lifted the car, and all four tires were wearing on the inside, so badly that air was leaking from one tire.

Linked is a pic of the rear passenger side. There were all roughly this bad.

So I'm moving from Toronto to Vancouver, 4500km to drive. Too expensive to ship and I'd like to drive across the country once.

Now for my question, what maintenance should I be doing prior to this trip? Oil will be changed prior, check fluids, brake, steering... Tires only have a few hundred km on them now. Alignment is being done. TC fluid was replaced last year when I had the flywheel replaced.

Only thing I'm really worried about is the oilpan. We JB welded a crack in it 3 years ago, it has been fine since, minor leakage. Its just a real bitch to replace, $$$. If its been ok for 24000km, it may just keep holding up.

I know its a silly question but is there anything to worry about when driving the car 8-10 hours a day?

Also, I'm looking to seal my headlight washers. They broke off a long time ago and I'd rather just plug it and rather than buying all those plastics, I'd like to seal it for good. Any suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails Still alive... Roadtrip Maintenance?-img-20120605-00117.jpg  
Old 07-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,915 Likes on 3,217 Posts

Sparty, first, put your mind at ease. Driving for 8-10 hours a day will not hurt the car. if anything, driving a long distance at a constant speed is about the best thing you can do for a car. I have driven my car for 12 hours straight. Do not worry about it. Get out past Ste. St. Marie and then open up the car. I think you will find that the car will cruise really nicely at about 120-140 KPH.

As for maintenance, you have most of what I would recommend already done/planned. The only thing I didn't see mentioned was a tranny fluid change. Not necessary, but advisable. After that, keep some drinks and food in the car and enjoy the ride. Having done the cross country trip a few times, slow and steady is the way to go. If you have the time, plan a few stops along the way too. It will break up the drive and make it a bit more enjoyable. My one time I stopped by Mt. Rushmore and took in that area for a day. Should be lots to see out that way in the way of nature things. You can even drive a little south and see Yellowstone (well worth the extra time needed to see it).

Enjoy your time out on the West Coast in the Pacific North West (PNW). I just got back from there and I love that area. Far different than what you are used to right now. Granted, I don't have a lot of good things to say about Vancouver as it seems I have the worst luck when I go there. So, wish you luck living there.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

The one thing might be to go and buy another tube of JB Weld and a bottle of alcohol in case you have to patch the oil pan again. Buying a couple of quarts of oil can save you from paying the inflated prices at highway stops.

Other than that it sounds like you are good to go.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:53 PM

Well I'm glad I've viewed this post. There seems to be a lot more jobs out west, especially in my field - and most are in Kelowna, BC. May I ask what are you using to travel all your stuff across the country? U-Haul? I'm from Hamilton actually, so not too far from you. By the way, ouch on the tires lol, I hope that doesn't happen to me sooner rather than later - my rear control arms need to be replaced soon more than likely. Get back at me please, and bon voyage!! (Ontario is only nice up north :P)

Also, have you done a change on the fuel filter or spark plugs anytime recently? I recommend it if you have a little bit of money left over. (fuel filter is so easy to do, and super cheap. Spark plugs on the other hand.. uses a little more time)

Good luck!

Old 07-11-2012, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll definitely bring extra oil and JB weld for emergencies Maybe replacing it is not something that needs to be done?

I've actually never changed the fuel filter or the spark plugs. I'm not sure how often it needs to be done and I've only owned the car for a couple years with roughly 12k on it each year.

Fezz - Most everything I own will fit in the car, I dont want to take it any furniture in a trailer so I will just buy what I need when I get there - all the furniture I own will be stored at a relatives' place.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Sparty

I've actually never changed the fuel filter or the spark plugs. I'm not sure how often it needs to be done and I've only owned the car for a couple years with roughly 12k on it each year.

Fezz - Most everything I own will fit in the car, I dont want to take it any furniture in a trailer so I will just buy what I need when I get there - all the furniture I own will be stored at a relatives' place.
Oh alright, yeah the only big thing for me would be the mattress, that's why I was asking.

And I do recommend changing the two. OEM, Platinum or Iridium spark plugs are the ones I recommend, nothing lower. Iridium has a longer life span of 3 years give or take. Fuel filter you can do yourself, its located just in front of the rear passenger side wheel. Just make sure you watch your eyes because some fuel will pour out (not a lot). All the filter does is slip and clips back on to the lines. There is a brace holding the filter, by a bolt or two. Shouldn't take anymore than 20 minutes.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Well if the JB Weld has held all this time, it is probably good enough.

What you might consider doing if you want to get rid of the odd drip is to do a better job on the next oil change. Drain the oil, leave the drain plug out, raise the car in such a way as to have the problem area higher than some edge of the pan where the remaining drips can run to, cut back the existing JB Weld, roughen up the surrounding area, clean thoroughly with acetone or naptha several times. apply more JB Weld generously. Let it cure for a minimum of 24 hours. The cleaner the area, and the longer the cure time, the greater the chance of complete success. You want to do this in the summer as the epoxy need warmth to cure. As a matter of fact, since the temperature falls at night, you may wish to consider keeping a lit light bulb close to the completed repair for several hours to keep the temps up. Then let it cool and cure further.

Last edited by plums; 07-11-2012 at 08:42 PM.