Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck Seatbelt

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 12:37 AM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Stuck Seatbelt

Interesting failure.

Passenger side sear-belt retractor is stuck. belt went about 90% of the way in, then the thing just stopped moving, won't finish rolling up, won't pull back out. No brakes were applied, it just plain stopped.

It does NOT look like opening up that pillar cover will be a pleasant task...

Any suggestions?

Old 02-15-2015, 05:02 AM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

JTIS includes the following section on X-Type safety belt retraction issues which suggests it's not uncommon:

If a safety belt does not retract correctly:

(a). check that the anchor covers and trim bezels are correctly installed and not rubbing against the safety belt webbing.

(b). check that the safety belt webbing is not rubbing at one end of the retractor cover slot and , if so, correct by loosening the retaining bolt, aligning the retractor to centralize the safety belt webbing and retighten the bolt.

The vehicle is equipped with two front and three rear inertia reel safety belts. These safety belts are 'dual sensitive' which means that they have:

1. a vehicle motion sensor, which lock the safety belt webbing under braking, cornering, on steep hills and in adverse camber conditions.

2. a webbing motion sensor, which locks when the safety belt webbing is quickly extracted.

If it's not snagged as described in (a) or (b), then it looks like an issue with the webbing motion sensor (2) locked up.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
wa3ra (02-15-2015)
Old 02-15-2015, 08:23 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

The problem now is freeing it up. The belt is about 90% retracted; it can't be pulled out.

I wonder if disconnecting the battery will make it go stupid? I need to free it up by wednesday, we have to take my little guy down to the children's hospital for transplant stuff, and I need this car for it...

Never a dull moment!