X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuttering/Misfire 2007 X Type 2.1L V6

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 07:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Stuttering/Misfire 2007 X Type 2.1L V6

Hi Thanks for the warm welcome when I joined appreciated.

I posted about a possible fuel pump issue i was potentially facing in my 2.1L X-Type 2007. Well I got the OBD11 (Launch Creader 319 device) reader and plugged it in this evening and found there were 7 error codes, I remember some one telling me to post the codes and explanation I got so here they are maybe some one can help me or confirm these are correct.
  1. P0300 - Generic - Random/Multiple cylinder misfire detected (current)
  2. P0303 - Generic - Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected (current)
  3. P0305 - Generic - Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected (Current)
  4. P1313 - Jaguar - Misfire Catalyst Damage Bank No. 1 (Current)
  5. P0037 - Generic - HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low Bank 1 Sensor 2 (Current)
  6. P0037 - Generic - HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low Bank 1 Sensor 2 (Pending)
  7. P1000 - Jaguar - The Fault code is not found in the database (Pending)
I did some reading from old pasts and it would appear that maybe the Catalytic converter can cause this type of misfire on bank 1 but generally it seem to effect cylinders 1,3,5 not just 3 & 5.

Can some one please advise or help? Also what is P0037?
any advice would be helpful.

thanks Simon ​​​​​​​

Last edited by GGG; 01-07-2020 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Edit typo in thread title
Old 01-07-2020, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

More likely other causes but they will in turn damage the cat(s) if not fixed urgently.

It's vital to have working O2 sensors, for example.

You can see who else has had the codes and what they did, using the forum's Search.

The following users liked this post:
Jag in Aust (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Welcome, Simon. I'm sure you will be able to track down your issue. Sounds like you have an issue related to cylinder 3 and 5. Looks like it is severe enough to cause some damage to that catalytic converter for that bank. The P0037 is for the downstream o2 sensor on Bank 1. That might be triggered by the misfires. Maybe look at the spark plugs and see if they have some oil on them and check the coils as as well. Solve the misfires and the rest will go away. If you have a flashing light on the dash it means the misfires are severe enough to cause cat damage, so don't drive the car like that,

Old 01-07-2020, 03:17 PM

Thanks Alfdude
I don't have any lights on dash board no check engine nothing - it is also intermittent can go a few days nothing then she'll stutter up a hill or after I have given it some power, its becoming a little more regular so hopefully this will help diagnose the problem. its funny cause some days she just flies other its like shes always finding it hard to go some kind of resistance it feels like, she starts fine idles fine etc.

The coils were replaced 18 months ago, with new NGK coils, I will do the hard/daunting task of taking half the inlet system off to check the plugs, I may take out the plug from cylinder 2 first to check condition as you can get to that one with little trouble. Might as well replace the inlet manifold gaskets when i check the plugs etc.

will report back this look like a weekend project.

Old 01-07-2020, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Clear all the codes you have and then see what comes back. I would think if the misfire is bad enough to cause cat damage, it would be bad enough to trip the check engine light. Unless those are very old codes, but a lot say "current".

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

Old 01-07-2020, 10:30 PM

Hi Alfadude

I had fuel filter changed about 8-10 weeks ago when i first noticed a little blip and though hummm not sure when the fuel was last changed so better do that - the only things that has happened since then is that fuel consumption has gone up slightly.
About 12 months ago the whole of bank 1 stopped wouldn't work (cylinder 1,3 & 5). had it towed to a euro garage in Melbourne ad 1 week later $1,000 on top and it was an electrical shorting between a couple of wires that shut down bank 1 - due to the Australian sun and heat making some wires brittle over 11 years.
I will clear the fault codes before I drive home from work today.
will report back later today

Old 01-08-2020, 06:11 AM
Veteran Member

Bear in mind that whenever you clear the codes the OBD monitors are also cleared. Until / unless they set again many codes cannot flag. You can get the nasty situation where the car can't tell you codes because it can't set monitors yet knows things are bad. Diagnosis gets tough

Old 01-08-2020, 03:19 PM

Hi Again

Ok cleared the codes before leaving work, but took photos of every screen possible for the record. I noticed that the codes related to teh issue i had 18 months ago when Bank 1 played up and also had the 2 downstream O2 senors replaced. the Data stream reported MIL-Dist 17,320 km which would be right to when it was repaired looking back at the receipts.

Car went fine fro the 20 klm drive home, did a live data stream on they way and noticed my speedo on the car was reading higher than the OBD11 which I had suspected previously, revs were perfect.

Did a DTC read when i got home and all that cam up was this

P0037 - Generic - HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low Bank 1 Sensor 2 - Pending
P1000 - Jaguar - The Fault Code is not found in the databsae - pending

will be driving it again this morning an see if it does the same old thing in on the same piece of road as it has done virtually everyday - (i come round a roundabout (3rd exit) up and medium incline to the motorway and then another 800 meters of incline under acceleration and she splutters or misfires up there get over the top and hey presto shes as good as gold - engine at normal operating temp)

after clearing old codes

after first drive since codes cleared

Old 01-08-2020, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

You need to fix that O2.

Your car is likely throwing excess fuel at the cat until you do and a cat is costly.

The following users liked this post:
Jag in Aust (01-08-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 07:48 PM
Cool update

Ok here is the latest up date - had the O2 sensor replaced problem still there.
change fuel from Caltex to BP still nothing (done on the advice of a man who used to work at the refineries)
read lots more as saw something about a vacuum leak that had caused similar symptoms to what i am experiencing so i went about and got the whole system smoked and WOW did it show up some things.

3 leaks - the Throttle body is sucking in air and this adjusts the mixture so the tpcs is running all over the place.
2 more leaks from O rings at the end of the vacuum pipes that run into the manifold 1 near the throttle body the other at the back near 3 & 5 cylinders

so i am now on the hunt for a new throttle body for her however all i can find are unsuitable as my Jag has cables and the ones i have found on line so far are all electric.

attached a video of the smoking test for others

Old 01-24-2020, 07:57 PM