Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sucking Air, Hole in a hose?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Sucking Air, Hole in a hose?

Hello Jaguar family.

I have a new issue developed recently and after checking the car over, I'm at a loss as to the cause.

I have an X-Type, 2.2D, RHD, Manual, Saloon, 160k miles. I've maintained it myself for over 13 years.
The engine is strong and smooth and very reliable, even with this issue. I have been under the car, over the car and even taken to a garage to have them put it on the ramps and inspect to try and find the issue, nothing wrong can be found.

Here is what has happened in the last few weeks and the symptoms being suffered, any advice would be gratefully received.

Driving along normally one day, there was a sudden "air release/pressure release" from under the bonnet, sounded similar to an inflated tyre being stabbed with a knife, lasted just a second.
Immediately, and since then, I hear a noise like its sucking air when I push hard over 1800RPM. At this time, I also get the engine hesitating, pulling back, can rock the car like its lacking air or fuel and quickly recovering as I ease off the peddle. Another way to describe the noise would be similar to a hole in the exhaust, but without the roar you'd typically get.
My gut feeling is that it's on the air intake side and not the air exhaust side.
When stationary, in the workshop, the engine revs up perfectly fine, no sucking/hissing noise and no hesitation, even up at 3500RPM.
Once on the road however, when the engine is under a load it's happening all the time over 1800RPM.
Thinking I have a hole or disconnected hose somewhere on the air intake route but everything look and feels fine for the entire route.
The turbo seems fine.
I'm now thinking could I have a hose which is collapsing under suction which then returns to its proper shape once a vacuum has eased off?
Only on two occasions, I have noticed a small amount of black smoke emitted from the exhaust when accelerating hard, this is not persistent.
I have connected the car to a good quality ODB2 reader and I also have access to the Jaguar software on a PC, neither reports any error codes.

I have now been over this engine 3 times with a torch, touching, pulling, bending, I just cant find the fault as it doesn't happen when the car is stationary.

What advice might you have please?

Old 07-31-2023, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,944 Likes on 769 Posts

No answer as to what it could be, but perhaps you could put the car on a dyno so you can get the engine loaded up while the car is stationary and induce the fault, hopefully then get a better look at what is going on.

The following users liked this post:
PitMonk (07-31-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 354 Posts

I'm not a diesel man, but it sounds like it's probably the Intercooler Hose that's split. This video shows you where it is and how to replace it. (From about 2 minutes in.)

The following users liked this post:
PitMonk (07-31-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 04:30 PM

I was contemplating this too, thanks.

Old 07-31-2023, 04:34 PM

I have had that large black hose separate at the bottom before when the jubilee clip rusted through. It is a very similar feeling and noise, just not as bad this time. I'll go and investigate here again as my next check.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Old 08-01-2023, 12:19 PM
Default Found the issue :-)

Thanks for the advice guys, it was the intercooler hose after all. It doesn't have a hole, the fibres are holding it together until squeezed. In position its mounted, and the dirt all over it, it was almost impossible to see or feel. I took it off to inspect and found it. Ordered a new one which will be here in a couple of days and wrapped the old one in gaffer tape for now.
Thats for the advice guys.

Old 08-01-2023, 12:26 PM
Default RESOLVED

RESOLVED - I have posted a reply but as it contained pictures its been held for moderation.

Last edited by PitMonk; 08-01-2023 at 12:27 PM. Reason: to add more info