Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof whistling noise HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof whistling noise HELP!!!

Hi guys,
I have this annoying whistling noise that comes from my sunroof when it is closed. I hear this wind noise when I'm on the highway or even in the street. I took a look at the sunroof trim and all and it looks like there is a perfect cut gap on the trim where it meets the vehicle body when the sun roof is closed. It also looks like that gap slides over something (maybe a trim) on the vehicle body when it closes. I can't find the trim and can't figure out a fix the noise is annoying. Help!!!

Old 04-08-2013, 06:59 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Maybe this will help?

Try to get some Wurth Rubber Care-good stuff for all rubber on the car-and apply it to the sr seals and lube the tracks with a good lube. WD40 will work in a pinch, if need be. See if that helps. Another thing-check the plastic trims on the left and right side of the windshield. Mine were sun-rotted and at 70-80+mph would whistle a real tune. Changing them out made things nice again.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Pfflyer,
I know the noise is coming from the back of the sun roof for sure because when I open the sunroof, the whistling stops. When I tilt it (pressing the forward button - making the back of the sunroof tilt up), it stops whistling too. I will try the Wurth Rubber Care. Is that something I can pick up at Autozone?

Also where can I get those plastic trims - ebay, amazon, or the dealer? Mine is getting rotten and chipping away and even though the noise is not coming from there, I still want to change them out as they look bad.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Try...

You may have to look around for Wurth products. Most aftermarket stores don't carry the line because it's oriented to top-end dealers and costs more than commercial counter stuff. But it is a great product line. I still get my Wurth items from a sales rep that used to service my shop. Insofar as the side trims, I went to the dealer. By the time I added the shipping and time to wait, the dealer price was very competitive-they even gave me 20% off.

Old 12-08-2019, 08:36 PM
Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Did you find a permanent fix for the whistle?

Hi,

Now that a few years have passed, I would like to know how you went finding a long-term solution to your whistle. My S-Type recently developed a whistle and upon investigation I realised the rear pivot mount on the sunroof, secured by two torx screws (one on each side), had dropped a couple of millimetres. The result was that the rear edge of the sunroof was acting as a giant fipple (look up fipple flute). Realigning the glass so that it was flush with the roofline fixed it. The first and only repair I have ever done on a Jaguar which took all of five minutes to do!