X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspensions

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 08:34 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Suspensions

Is the suspension in the X Type noisy? Mine is especially when U go over bumps.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noisy like squeaky?
Or noisy like you hear the bump?
Is it a rattle?
From the front or rear?

The Jag suspension is much tighter than a luxury ride. You can feel the pebbles sometimes. That is also why it cuts on a dime and won't bottom out in the curves.
When I test drove ours I liked the feel. When I was on the long drive home I felt it was noisy (compared to the Navigator). But I realized the difference and I like it most of the time now.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:46 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,908 Likes on 3,210 Posts

Adam, our cars are known for getting 1 of 3 problems with them, leading to a noisy suspension.

1) THe upper mount on the rear shocks tends to get stretched out and this will cause the shock to start moving, leading to a thump sound when you go over bumps and whatnot. The only solution to this is to either a) replace the shock, or b) replace the rubber bushing in the shock

2) the lower control arm (smaller, shorter one of the two down there) on the rear tires will have its bushings wear out and this will cause the tire to wander some and lead to a thumping sound. You can feel this in the car at times when you are making a sweeping turn at a low speed and you give the car some gas. You will feel the rear end jump a little to the side.

3) the bushings on the sway bar will elongate and allow the sway bar to move around some as it attempts to keep the wheels in line with each other. A variation of this problem is the mounts for these bushings can also break, leading to the bar swinging around underneath the car some.

If you need more assistance with this, let me know.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:04 AM
Smile Suyspension

Originally Posted by Thermo
Adam, our cars are known for getting 1 of 3 problems with them, leading to a noisy suspension.

1) THe upper mount on the rear shocks tends to get stretched out and this will cause the shock to start moving, leading to a thump sound when you go over bumps and whatnot. The only solution to this is to either a) replace the shock, or b) replace the rubber bushing in the shock

2) the lower control arm (smaller, shorter one of the two down there) on the rear tires will have its bushings wear out and this will cause the tire to wander some and lead to a thumping sound. You can feel this in the car at times when you are making a sweeping turn at a low speed and you give the car some gas. You will feel the rear end jump a little to the side.

3) the bushings on the sway bar will elongate and allow the sway bar to move around some as it attempts to keep the wheels in line with each other. A variation of this problem is the mounts for these bushings can also break, leading to the bar swinging around underneath the car some.

If you need more assistance with this, let me know.
When I ride over some real bad road the whole suspensions is very loud, nothing like my former ride a Mercedes Benz, which had a quiet suspension. I was also thinking bushings were worn out.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,908 Likes on 3,210 Posts

Adam, the best advice that I can tell you is to put the rear end up in the air (supported by jackstands) and then do a once over of the car. As long as both wheels are off of the ground, the swaybar will have no load on it and you can take a rubber mallet and strike the swaybar. This will tell you if the bushings there are good (rubber knocking sound if the bushings are good, metallic thud/snap if they are not). Then you can also use the jack under the tire to raise/lower a single tire at a time and see if the tire will lean in as you do this (bad upper control arm bushing), twist slightly (bad lower, forward control arm), or the shock will move (top half only counts for this check).

From there, you can use the rubber mallet to test other parts of the car and it will be obvious as you are getting close to the part in question. Just make sure not to strike any of the sensors under the car. They will not handle the whack of a rubber mallet too well.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Default Suspension

Originally Posted by Thermo
Adam, the best advice that I can tell you is to put the rear end up in the air (supported by jackstands) and then do a once over of the car. As long as both wheels are off of the ground, the swaybar will have no load on it and you can take a rubber mallet and strike the swaybar. This will tell you if the bushings there are good (rubber knocking sound if the bushings are good, metallic thud/snap if they are not). Then you can also use the jack under the tire to raise/lower a single tire at a time and see if the tire will lean in as you do this (bad upper control arm bushing), twist slightly (bad lower, forward control arm), or the shock will move (top half only counts for this check).

From there, you can use the rubber mallet to test other parts of the car and it will be obvious as you are getting close to the part in question. Just make sure not to strike any of the sensors under the car. They will not handle the whack of a rubber mallet too well.
I am handicapped and can't do this type of work. I did get a written 2 month warranty from the dealer I bought the car from. but I am having a hard time getting them to fix the AC, which blows Luke warm air even at lower temps, so you see I have several problems with this car. Thanks for the advice and the instruction. I really don't know what I am going to do now.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:24 AM
Smile Suspension

I've decided after reading all the post on the suspension, to have Jaguar check out the suspension and see if there is anything wrong with it and then go from there. I bought the car from a Mercedes dealer and I have a written 100% 2 month warranty (parts and labor) on the car, so I would think they would have to fix the suspension, especially, as I see it, this is a safety issue. Thanks for all the input.