Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking off bumper to replace RHS headlight assembly

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Taking off bumper to replace RHS headlight assembly

Hello everyone.

I am happy to join the broken headlight club 29 hours after getting my 03 X-Type. Like everyone else here, I wanted to get HIDs for my proletarian non-HID car. I opened the headlight cover that and found the reflector housing is lose from the headlight housing. After some research I found that this was a common problem and could (possibly) be remidied by taking the assmebly out and glueing the thing back into place. Although I'm a white collar worker, I am pretty good with my hands so I would like that try that approach first before buying a whole new headlight.

Could someone please tell me how to take off the bumper just enough so I can gain enough access to take off the LHS headlight? Should I just take it to a cheap bodyshop and have them take off the bumper for me? I only have a hand jack that's used to change tires with

Thanks for the help in advance!

Old 01-29-2012, 01:10 PM

Sorry, I need to take out the RHS/Passenger side headlight, NOT the LHS.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it is possible to drop one side of the bumper down but it makes it tricky to refit the bumper back into the sliders.
1. jack up 1 side front wheel
2. remove wheel
3. look to left hand side of wheel arch liner and undo the retaining bolt (torx) sometimes these are worn badly and the best way to undo them is to use a grinder with cutting head to score a slot in and use a large flat blade driver.
4.undo clips to front of wheel arch liner and peel back for access to vack of bumper
5. use a torch and look in line with the top of the bumper in body recess and using a 10mm socket undo completely the bolt in the centre of the bracket (ignore the other 2 as they are for the wing fixing if you get the wrong one it wont move so dont worry) it wont be that tight
6. refit wheel but leave liner back
7. keeping car raised crawl under front bumper and again using torx bit undo the three bolts that secure the back of the bumper slash guard to the body (again stubborn from corrosion so use grinder if required)
7a. If you have washer jest fitted extend them fully and unclip the cover to front of them.
8. open the bonnet and undo the 10mm bolts from above the light holding the bumper in place.
9. the bumper will now pull forward on that side and allow access to the lower retaining bolts on the light.
10. the light will now pull forward and undo the connector to the rear.
it may be stubborn but is only held on 1 side by clip over type so it will come of i use a small electrical screwdriver slid inside clip to ease it off.

It may be easier to take liner and 10mm bolt off the other side and drop complete bumper to allow realigning properly.

Hope this helps i do it every day as we repair those pesky clips for our own metal ones in house!
good luck
alex

The following users liked this post:
Lcgi (01-30-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 03:09 PM

thanks. I got the bumper off without a hitch, but I feel that the headlight is beyond my ability to fix. The screws that holds the adjuster is broken, the plastic adjuster is also broken. Is there a way that I can get new adjusters or any way other than buying new headlights? Thanks!

Old 01-29-2012, 03:27 PM

Couldn't you just make your own adjuster with screws?? two on top and two on the sides... This way you can adjust it horizontally and vertically and the light will be held in place securely.

I'm going to the hardware store.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:08 PM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

Take some photos if it works, a repair kit on Ebay is about $100. A few of us would like to know of a cheaper way to repair broken adjusters.

The following users liked this post:
Lcgi (01-30-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 10:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thread already started on this subject

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...tuation-66867/