X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCM Adaptation Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default TCM Adaptation Procedure

The automatic transmission on my 2002 X-type is slipping, so I guess I will need to have it re-built or replaced. I was looking at the installation notes in the JTIS, and saw this warning:

When replacing or installing a new automatic transaxle. The transaxle control module (TCM) adaptation procedure must be carried out using the Jaguar approved diagnostic system at issue 19 or higher where available. If the Jaguar approved diagnostic system is not available the TCM must be replaced. Failure to follow this instruction will result in damage to the automatic transaxle.

What is this all about? What is the TCM adaptation procedure? Is this something that only a dealer can do? If I have the transmission re-built by a transmission shop, will I have to go to the dealer to have this procedure done before driving the car?

Thanks,
...John

Old 02-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't know if anyone else can program the TCM, there may be 3rd party software available, I've never looked. I assume the reason you need it done is because the TCM will remember all of the clutch adjustments from the original trans. Since all of the tolerances will be completely different from the new trans there is a high probability you'll destroy the new clutches in no time. That's just a guess, I'm not a mechanic. That said, it's my understanding most mechanics couldn't repair a modern transmission correctly if their life depended on it (need to know black magic).

I would also assume, anyone in the transmission repair business will have the software needed. I own the software to program my Corvettes TCM and ECM along with many other GM and Fords but no Jag support. I plugged into the OBDII port to see if my 05 might come up as a Ford but got nothing.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:55 PM

I just did a search and found Autologic makes tuning software for Jags, including the X-Type. Don't see any pricing but I'm sure it's steep since it's geared toward garages.

http://www.autologic-diagnostics.com...ar-diagnostics

Last edited by C5pilot; 02-19-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:18 PM

Thanks, C5Pilot. Do you know if it is necessary to program the TCM if the original transmission is re-built, or only if it is a different transmission?

Thanks,
...John

Old 02-19-2011, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by JaguarKnight
Thanks, C5Pilot. Do you know if it is necessary to program the TCM if the original transmission is re-built, or only if it is a different transmission?

Thanks,
...John
My uninformed guess would be, yes. Without being re-flashed it's not going to know to treat the trans as new. It'll continue to use the old calibration, which it learned slowly over time to shift using worn parts, and proceed to destroy your new trans quickly. But these are really questions for the guy rebuilding the trans. If he doesn't know the answers, he's not the right guy to do the work. He may not be able to perform the re-flash but he should know for sure how to get it done, such as towing it to the dealer for you. Good luck, let us know how it turns out and the costs involved.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:45 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

dont use sport mode for 300 miles, clear TCM adaptations with hard battery reboot, and there a proceedure to drive involvine slow accels to different speeds followed by coasting to complete stops, and avoiding any aggressive driving and downshifting for a few hundred miles, etc...I dont remember it all and am at home. That was close to what we did before Jaguar changed what they wanted during any adaptation learn involving 2 techs, 1 driving and 1 monitoring IDS and shift points. It doesnt meen you HAVE to do it and always worked fine before. See what Lexus says on these since it is a Jatco trans.

The following 2 users liked this post by Brutal:
JaguarKnight (02-22-2011), Nantucket (09-16-2019)
Old 02-22-2011, 11:21 AM

Thanks, Brutal. Now that I think of it, I believe I did that procedure after I changed the battery. I think it was described in the JTIS where it tells how to change the battery.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:05 AM

Oops! I looked at my JTIS again, and the adaptation that I did when I replaced the battery was for the ECM, not the TCM! I cannot find any mention in the JTIS of how to do an adaptation procedure for the TCM. Brutal, can you tell me where to find a description of it?

Thanks,
...John

Old 02-24-2011, 12:06 PM

Another Jaguar technician said (on another forum) that the TCM adaptations in the X-Type CANNOT be reset by disconnecting the battery and shorting the cables together, that it MUST be done with a scanner that has the reset capability. So that has me thinking that I really should get it reset, by the dealer if necessary. Does anyone know if the TCM can be reset while it is out of the vehicle? Then I could take just the TCM to the dealer and have them reset it. Will that work?

Old 02-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Received 8,146 Likes on 4,914 Posts

Here is the info we were given back way back in 2003.

Page 29 of TSB XT307-S941
is what you are looking for.

Also I have included the recall S937 that the S941 references.

bob gauff

Old 02-24-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by JaguarKnight
Does anyone know if the TCM can be reset while it is out of the vehicle? Then I could take just the TCM to the dealer and have them reset it. Will that work?
It's probably located inside the trans and programmed through the OBDII port under the dash.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Here is the info we were given back way back in 2003.

Page 29 of TSB XT307-S941
is what you are looking for.

bob gauff
Specifically, pg 29, #89-92
89. Connect PTU to vehicle using diagnostic cable.
90. Enter VIN and navigate to configuration main menu.
91. Select 'Special Applications' then 'Transmission Control Module Adaptation Clear'.
92. After 'Transmission Control Module Adaptation Clear' application is complete, carry out transmission
fluid level check.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:18 AM

Thanks for the info, guys. That is the kind of info I needed, although it is not what I was hoping to hear. It looks like I will be having to take it to the dealer, and unfortunately the local dealer tends to be considerably more pricey than other Jag dealers. But I have sent an e-mail to them, asking how much it would cost to have them put in a re-built tranny, so that I can make sure I have enough money to cover the charges.

Thanks again,
...John

Old 02-28-2011, 03:12 PM

The local Jag dealer wants $6500 to replace the trans with a rebuilt. Another Jag dealer about 3 hours drive from here wants $4650! What a difference!

I checked with other shops to see if they could reset the TCM. One independent shop said he couldn't. Both AAMCO and Mr. Transmission said they could. AAMCO said they had replaced the transmission on an X-Type recently for $4200. They also offer a lifetime warranty for another $1200. I think I am going that route.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:47 PM

It's a shame about the local dealer. You definitly want to keep your repairs local in case any issues arise later. As for the lifetime warranty, it would all depend on how long I was going to keep the car. You MIGHT want to consider putting that money toward a complete car warranty. Good luck either way and keep us posted.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:25 AM

C5pilot - hmmmm... complete car warranty... that is an idea I had not thought of. Do you (or anyone) know of any reputable companies that offer those? How much do they cost?

Old 03-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by C5pilot
It's a shame about the local dealer. You definitly want to keep your repairs local in case any issues arise later. As for the lifetime warranty, it would all depend on how long I was going to keep the car. You MIGHT want to consider putting that money toward a complete car warranty. Good luck either way and keep us posted.
Great minds think alike. I just said the same thing in his other thread.

Old 01-13-2021, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5 no 3.0. YES

The 2.5L TCM CAN BE RESET AND ITS NOT NEEDING DEALER TO REPROGRAM ANYTHING.
THE 3.0 HOWEVER, DOES REQUIRE A FLASH FROM DEALER SOFTWARE.
IF YOU HAVE A NEW MODULE, SAME THING. I DO NOT ADVISE USING ANY AFTERMARKET PARTS FOR JAGUAR TCM. NEVER.

Originally Posted by C5pilot
I don't know if anyone else can program the TCM, there may be 3rd party software available, I've never looked. I assume the reason you need it done is because the TCM will remember all of the clutch adjustments from the original trans. Since all of the tolerances will be completely different from the new trans there is a high probability you'll destroy the new clutches in no time. That's just a guess, I'm not a mechanic. That said, it's my understanding most mechanics couldn't repair a modern transmission correctly if their life depended on it (need to know black magic).

I would also assume, anyone in the transmission repair business will have the software needed. I own the software to program my Corvettes TCM and ECM along with many other GM and Fords but no Jag support. I plugged into the OBDII port to see if my 05 might come up as a Ford but got nothing.

Old 01-13-2021, 04:27 PM
Default Why??? How many miles on it? How many owners? This trans is probably ok, they know.

Any trans shop is going to play dumb. A rebuilt trans to them is valuable if they swap out a good trans only really needing ALL SOLENOIDS PULLED AND CLEANED, AND EITHER A NEW TCM OR A RESET ON THE ONE THERE.
DONT FALL FOR THIS PLEASE.

QUOTE=JaguarKnight;312839]The local Jag dealer wants $6500 to replace the trans with a rebuilt. Another Jag dealer about 3 hours drive from here wants $4650! What a difference!

I checked with other shops to see if they could reset the TCM. One independent shop said he couldn't. Both AAMCO and Mr. Transmission said they could. AAMCO said they had replaced the transmission on an X-Type recently for $4200. They also offer a lifetime warranty for another $1200. I think I am going that route.[/QUOTE]

Old 12-19-2022, 03:27 AM
Default Need to know 2.5l reset

Can u give me the information for how to reset the 2.5l TCM I need to know. Thank you