Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCM and ECM issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TCM and ECM issues

Hi folks,
If anybody can help, it sure would be appreciated here.
I live in Newfoundland, we've got one dealer. That dealer is well known to be impossible to deal with. I drove my car in and towed it out after a month of nightmares. I need to fix it and I will not go to the dealer.
2004 X-Type 3.0 wagon, automatic
I had "Gearbox failure" displayed.
I had a look at the TCM, it had water damage and corrosion.
Got a new one from England. Then discovered that it had to be programmed by a dealer. I drove it in there, they mucked it up. It wouldn't even start any more. I towed it home.
The engine was turning over but not starting.
I tried the old tcm, no go.
I ordered a used tcm and ecm online because they're already programmed. Installed both, but the engine would not turn over. I put the old ecm back, it turns fast but will not start. The newer used ecm also gives me a "security failure" display in dash. It will not even turn over with the newer, but used, ecm. It does not make any difference which tcm I put it, I still get the "gearbox failure" displayed. Can anybody assist? What can I do with the "security Failure"? Is there a way to reset the ecm?
Thank you very much.
Joe

Old 10-05-2013, 11:16 AM
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

My best advice would be to get yourself a JLR and a Mongoose or a VCM diagnostic set and get acquainted how to check these errors and reflash the modules in question.

The following users liked this post:
NLXTypeOwner (10-13-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 03:55 AM
Default Thank you, Krasi

Thank you. It's a start. So, "flashing" means just clearing the codes, etc? I h ad no idea I could buy this for such a reasonable amount. I have spent over 2 thousand dollars trying to get it to start. I'm ready to bury it.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:24 PM

Not really. Flashing means to (re)write the software in the module (EEPROM) chip. "Programming" a module usually means just that. I guess, clearing error codes and making configuration changes can also be considered as a subset of flashing....

Anyway, it's a standard procedure for someone who knows what he's doing. If it's too distant for you, and the only Jaguar garage around is no good, I think it would make sense to get the hardware (and software) and talk to a reputable garage, or as a last resort a computer hardware shop, or aircraft/boat/car modelling club or the like. They should know what it takes to reprogram a chip.

The following 2 users liked this post by Krasi:
Lcgi (10-08-2013), NLXTypeOwner (10-13-2013)
Old 10-08-2013, 10:47 AM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

Hmmm, sounds to me like the Dealer has set a condition that only he knows how to fix! (to ensure he gets the work) I would stay clear of that guy - forever.

Suggest you contact Jaguar Cars Ltd, who would be interested to know the details of your experience with this Dealer - and maybe recommend an alternative for you.

Good luck with it.... keep us posted on how you go ?

Old 10-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Putting a call out for the Top Tech DIY gurus to pitch in and help this guy.......sounds like he's at the end of his rope.

If you can pitch in with good solid sound advice I'm sure it'll be really appreciated.

Good luck Joe....

Old 10-08-2013, 12:28 PM

Don't know if the comment is for me, but I wish I had practical, hands-on advice for this particular case. I've never flashed Jaguar modules. It shouldn't be any/much different than flashing "regular" chips. And I'm waiting for my Mongoose to arrive to start playing with the JLR OBD.

To it me sounds like NLXTypeOwner is really at the end of the rope - left alone to deal with the problem. And as we know desperate times call for desperate measures. As in many occasions, if you want to have something done properly, you'd better do it yourself. Given the current situation, how worse can it get? It'll take some reading, patience and trials. On the bright side, at least there are few TCMs to experiment with

First and foremost, though, is to get OBD, in order to see what errors prevent the car from starting.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:41 AM

Thank you, everybody, for the replies. THAT is support! The car is amazing, it's rust free, it's gorgeous... but it wont' start. The Dealer? As I said, is not an option. I could go on for pages! The mechanic is either stupid or is sabatoging cars. It has to be one or the other, if not it would be fixed. I may very well write Jaguar. Many people in this city will not buy that make of car because they will have to go to that dealer.
I pushed it into my garage yesterday and started to check some things. There is spark on the plugs. I don't hear the fuel pump, so that's the next thing to check. I did spray gas into the intake, but no go.
Can anybody tell me what to do with the used ecu I just bought? When I plug it in, the dash readout says "Security failure". Does that have to be flashed again too?
What would my symptoms be if the dealer, accidentaly of course, screwed up my keyfob? It still locks and unlocks the car, does that mean it's okay? My friend says the plugs look old and they do, and to change them. I will, but I don't think it's the issue when this all happened so quickly, I drove it in, towed it out. All fuses test okay.
Thank you once again. I honestly don't see me buying diagnostic equipment, I've spent as much as I'm going to spend on this car. I'm done. May start a Jaguar Ranch, bury it, sticking up in the air. haha.

Last edited by NLXTypeOwner; 01-28-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:29 AM

Hi again folks,
Well, last night I had a certified mechanic come by and check out my Jag. He had diagnostic equipment with him. Make no mistake about it, my ECM was erased by the Dealer. I can have it reflashed by this current mechanic in a few weeks when he gets a newer machine with all the current software available.
Any suggestions on what to do with this Dealer? He has cost me 500 dollars plus my car was out of service since March-ish. Any good to contact Jaguar, or are they as bad as this Dealer? I don't see any point of contacting the Dealer, they have been zero help. The owner, his Miss Piggy Servicemanager, or the bimbo on the servicdesk. Get this... they had three other x-types by the door with the same thing wrong and they were laughing at it. I will not let it go, but I'd like to have a good plan in place before I start.
Thank you all,