X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell me Guys is this Model a Lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tell me Guys is this Model a Lemon?

Looking for a car this weekend and im debating from a 07 Jaguar XType & a 09 Nissan Maxima both are great looking cars, would love to get the jaguar but from all the chatter here on this car, it seems to be a lemon and a Horrible car to maintain? also love the power of the maxima and it has great looks also, jaguar to my knowing always made great cars but is this model worth buying or should i be looking at another model?

I need a car thats reliable and needs to stay that way for a few years.

Help me decide

Old 05-15-2010, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by MsGirlie
Looking for a car this weekend and im debating from a 07 Jaguar XType & a 09 Nissan Maxima both are great looking cars, would love to get the jaguar but from all the chatter here on this car, it seems to be a lemon and a Horrible car to maintain? also love the power of the maxima and it has great looks also, jaguar to my knowing always made great cars but is this model worth buying or should i be looking at another model?

Help me decide
The Jaguar is a 2006
Nissan is 2009 sorry for the typo.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:59 PM

Help me decide

go with the Nissan Maxima , your asking a Question in a jaguar forums what do you think the answer is going to be!!

The only thing that is worth anything on Jaguar X-Type is the Cat on the Hood. the car is worthless with little or no value and if you buy the X prepare your self with costly repairs. and this ride is not that great ether.

Like i said your asking a question is a Jaguar forum , with that said there are more peps here that will say go for the jaguar. I have a X-Type that i bought 3yrs ago from my experience this car is not worth the hype!

Read more about this car in this forum.........tons of problems! from rust to repair!

1st choice would be the Maxima
2nd a vespa!

Last edited by jonre; 05-15-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I would go for a later model x, mines a 02, and it has little to no problems. I honestly, if were considering a car that u want to keep for the res tof your life, go with nissan, there not that bad looking these days ethier. If u want style, then go for the jag

Old 05-15-2010, 06:02 PM

i own a 2004 x type, 3.0, and drives smooth, no problem, just regular maintenance required, note that its a great looking car and a real head turner. In every types of cars, there are lemons, so lets no generalize, I own a mercedez, honda, a gm, and a jag, so I have my thoughts on american, japanese, and european car. If u want 100% reliability stick to the standard car that everyone owns and cheaper to maintain, obviously if u own a jag, means u can afford high service labor rates and parts. If u cannot afford high garage cost, stick to common cars.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by BEBE JAG
obviously if u own a jag, means u can afford high service labor rates and parts. If u cannot afford high garage cost, stick to common cars.
umm i think he/she is talking about a X-type, not a Jaguar!

pure jags are worth every penny! but a cross breed Ford not worth the dirt on my shoes!

Old 05-15-2010, 07:09 PM

Jonre please go back to where you came from.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:14 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The Jaguar is a 2006
Nissan is 2009 sorry for the typo.
I have a 2007 x type. Owned it for 3 years now and cost of maintenance is similar to my previous Acura TL and current other car Mercedes C280 4 matic.

Not sure how the Maxima is compared to a TL. But from my experience, the Maxima will be all round probably a more solid car. But the jaguar has a driving personality so you either love it or don't care for it. I love it!

And for those you say the x type isn't a real jag, I wonder why they also don't say Audi's, Lexus and Infinities are not real either...the x type has very solid metal and the thunk of the door closing is very different from the clink of a typical Japanese car. Again, I've owned Acuras, Hondas and Subarus. Also, when it comes to interior, the x type is much more understated. It's the intrument cluster, the j gate shifter, the leather and wood...and finally it's the styling.

I'd say driving a jag is a much more emotional experience than the typical commuter.

My next upgrade? The XF.

Finally, you're in the jag forum! As for Mr Jonre. I'd just read a couple of his recent posts to determine if he even knows what he's talking about!

In any case, I'd consider the conditions of the cars as the most important factor.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by aluni2230

Finally, you're in the jag forum! As for Mr Jonre. I'd just read a couple of his recent posts to determine if he even knows what he's talking about!

very good point!
yup read mine first, thhheeenn read the thousands of other's.......! get the Maxima save your self from the lemon land of cars.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

I own a Jaguar and Nissan and a couple GMs. I as a owner and tech for Jaguar, based on your statement of a reliable car. I say go for the Nissan. The later Xtypes dont suffer from near the issues the early did. But I see ALOT of customers that can buy a luxury car and about die at the first real repair/maintenance. But no where near like a Land Rover. Personally I would ALWAYS spend more money on a bigger Jaguar, and not the entry model. You can find a really nice 03XJ for the same or maybe less money and have a much nicer Jaguar with no real issues.
1 more point while Im at it. Most Nissan models are recommended by consumer reports, I dont ever remember a Jaguar being...But remember cars are a personal and emotional thing. If it doesnt turn you on........

Old 05-15-2010, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
I own a Jaguar and Nissan and a couple GMs. I as a owner and tech for Jaguar, based on your statement of a reliable car. I say go for the Nissan. The later Xtypes dont suffer from near the issues the early did. But I see ALOT of customers that can buy a luxury car and about die at the first real repair/maintenance. But no where near like a Land Rover. Personally I would ALWAYS spend more money on a bigger Jaguar, and not the entry model. You can find a really nice 03XJ for the same or maybe less money and have a much nicer Jaguar with no real issues.
1 more point while Im at it. Most Nissan models are recommended by consumer reports, I dont ever remember a Jaguar being...But remember cars are a personal and emotional thing. If it doesnt turn you on........

Brutal u the man!! go for the nissan or like the above says a XJ not the entry level jag.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:54 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Having owned nothing but Subarus and a Nissan hardbody years ago for daily transportation the lack of quality sent me packing. Found a nice cheap 05 X type and haven't been happier. It is a fun car to drive, definately a little tight in the back compared to a Maxima, definately will need a little more maint. (keep to the schedule and buy a manual tranny imo) but it is a fairly bulletproof platform. Standard wear parts are as cheap or cheaper than my wife's legacy, it goes great in the snow (though not as good as a front bias awd system but it is more fun in the white stuff) and gets me better gas mileage then my wife's legacy does. Drive them both and go with your gut.

If you're the type to drive a car for a short period make sure it is a cheap x type but if you'll keep it til it dies then buy the best you can afford. You won't get much back selling or trading it in.

Oh and I'm currently looking at being Subaruless for the first time in nearly 20 years as were thinking about an XJ8 or XJR to replace the legacy. I just can't drive a tractor after driving the X type anymore. Only reason it isn't another x type is for towing purposes.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:05 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

Help me decide
I would check out the Jag very closely. If it has had good care and has been serviced properly there is no reason not to buy it.
I bought my 2003 2.5 Auto in Aug 2007. It has 68,000 + miles on it now and I do not regret getting it. Yes, some of the early models did have some problems but I've had none of the major ones that some owners on here have complained about. The only problems I've had is first was the control module for the cooling fans went bad. If I would have had a dealership do the fix it would have been quite expensive, because they would have used new parts plus their high labor costs. You can't buy just the module, it only comes as an assembly (fan shroud, fans and module) plus you need to buy a wiring harness adapter because the new units wiring doesn't match the older wiring harness. I solved this by buying a salvaged assembly and just using the control module and doing the job myself, saving around $300+, and I still have the shroud and fans for spares. The other problem was a common one which required replacing the "O" ring seals on the IMT valves which I also did myself paying only about $6 again saving a big bundle. I also did the rear brakes myself, costing only the price of the pads, this saved over $450 according to the estimate from the dealership in Omaha.
Yes, the X can be expensive to maintain if you have to use a dealership or even an independent shop to do the work, but so does any other car.. I can testify to this because the car I traded on my X, a 2003 Buick Century, I had maintained at the dealership because I had an extended warranty and wanted to make sure everything was by the number in case anything went wrong. Doing that was way more expensive than doing it myself, which is what I'm doing now with the Jag. I've had some estimates from a dealership on work that the dealership said was needed when I had them check it over 3 years ago when I bought it and in my mind the prices quoted and what they said was needed was simply ridiculous. Of the things they said needed to be done, I've only done the rear brakes and I saved a bundle doing those myself.
I think a lot of this stuff that happens is because the original owners of the car didn't take proper care of them and the people who have them now are stuck with the results.
I am definitely of the opinion that the X is not a lemon nor the worst Jaguar ever produces. Also the X-type is not just another Ford in sheep's clothing. I'm sorry I've never seen a Ford that resembles the X inside or out.
Like I've said here, if it looks good, sounds good and you trust what you're being told about it, buy it. I think you'll be satisfied with what you get.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:31 AM

All this being said, all luxury models have their entry level models and if style, looks and exclusivity means nothing to u and enjoy driving a cookie cutter car, that is ur perogative. As for myself when I am driving anywhere, there aren't 10 other cars looking like mine. I already own 2 jags, and now looking for a XKR. For those who are supporting Nissan, stick to ur boring common car. Jag is definitely out ur league.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:32 AM

I forgot to include that Jaguars are not for WANT TO BE'S.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

I have to say I cannot understand why some people join a single car make forum and then just slag off the cars. What is the point for heaven's sake ? Does it make them feel good or something ?

For me, I recognise that Jaguars like all cars, have their faults; I have now bought one, an XJ6 of 2003. I had a Mazda Xedos 9 once (Millenia in the US), and it was fairly faultless on reliability over the 7 years I had it. However at the same time I had a 1980 XJ6 4.2 and I took this on holidays to Ireland in preference to the Mazda. I finally part-exd the Mazda for a Rover 75, and that was almost as faultless and a far nicer car. I never liked the Mazda much, but I did respect it for its reliability. However, I found a web forum for the Mazda and it was amazing what faults seemed to turn up, but I never had them. Was this because I maintained the car correctly ?

Old 05-16-2010, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Is it a "lemon"? No. By 2006 the teething problems of the early models (2002-2003) had been worked out. If it has been taken care of and had it's maintenance done I would think you will get a reliable car. Have it checked out before you buy it, of course. Also, find out if it is still in warranty. That would help if you bought it as you would have some time to find out if there are any issues not readily apparent in a test drive. You could also look into the Jaguar Select extended warranty as well for additional peace of mind. I think if you do your homework you could get a lot of car for the money buying the X. Good luck with whatever you choose. Let us know what the verdict is.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd go with the Maxima.

More power. Faster. Newer. More reliable.

Only problem with newer Maximas is that they are ugly as sin......

Old 05-16-2010, 03:45 PM

yup go with the Maxima ! the jaguar looks are kinda out dated as well.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:51 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ufoz8mycow
I'd go with the Maxima.

More power. Faster. Newer. More reliable.

Only problem with newer Maximas is that they are ugly as sin......
Just like everything else coming from Japan in resent years. Absolutely no real designers working in Japan, just engineers. I would not call it more reliable by any means unless they've ditched the CVT tranny that has been nothing but a nightmare for Nissan.

Quick Reply: Tell me Guys is this Model a Lemon?