X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell me Guys is this Model a Lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by benebob
Just like everything else coming from Japan in resent years. Absolutely no real designers working in Japan, just engineers. I would not call it more reliable by any means unless they've ditched the CVT tranny that has been nothing but a nightmare for Nissan.

you are to funny!! is that trans in your X type from japan?

Old 05-16-2010, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

These cars suck (though I haven't had a problem yet in a whopping 6 months of ownership). You should go for the Nissan.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

I feel like this is the same guy talking about his '73 toyota.

Anyways if you have any class whatsoever buy the jag, if you just want to be like every car on the road by the nissan. In my opinion a nissan might be one of the most generic cars. Nothing wrong with that, but its no head turner coming down the road...

Old 05-16-2010, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
I feel like this is the same guy talking about his '73 toyota.
I voted to bring that trend back! he had a very entertaining trend!

Anyways if you have any class whatsoever buy the jag, if you just want to be like every car on the road by the nissan. In my opinion a nissan might be one of the most generic cars. Nothing wrong with that, but its no head turner coming down the road...
and a X-type is a head turner! ohhh give me a break , not this model !

Buy the Nissan !

Old 05-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member

go away troll. and what do you mean this model? there is only one model x-type

Old 05-16-2010, 06:15 PM

go away troll. and what do you mean this model? there is only one model x-type
The X-Type model! yup the truth is a pain!

Old 05-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member

Well the truth must be your x type sucks, mine doesn't. Go cry about it some where else cause no one wants to hear it here.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:20 PM

Well the truth must be your x type sucks, mine doesn't. Go cry about it some where else cause no one wants to hear it here.

truth is a pain!! by the nissan!

Old 05-16-2010, 07:07 PM

WOW! i see tons of tension here

from the original post Jaguar or Maxima

I work on Jaguars all day 6 days a week and the Xtype would not be my choice neither. Its not a hard car to repair but i must say its a load of problems. 2.5L or 3.0L / new or old the problems are all the same. come on over and take a look at our shop here we have Xtypes and Stypes everywhere two Xtypes on the lift right now.

Every car will have its problems at some point.

The Maxima would be a better choice IMHO.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:11 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jonre
you are to funny!! is that trans in your X type from japan?
Glad I can amuse the short bus riders. Sure the X type uses a Japanese tranny and if you actually had your mommy read you my post I said nothing about Jap trannies as a whole. I simplystated that even a airchair wanna be mechanic should understand that Nissan has a much higher failure rate on its CVT then virtually every other car manufacture has had in the past 20 years. You come to expect auto tranny failures in awd vehicles as heat is an issue. They need to be well cared for, the tires need to be rotated to ensure even wear and most importantly the fluid must be changed regularly.

It isn't rocket science, As a previous owner and racer of a Subaru SVXs which too has a high tranny failure rate I put well over 100k on the cars without any issue with the tranny. Bought them with bad boxes and rebuilt them to spec then I actually did the actual maint. that Subaru suggests.

Sorry that your X type sucks but the reality is it isn't an unreliable vehicle. In fact Consumer Reports readers rate the 05-07s as average just right where they rate the Nissan Maxima. The first place you need to look is in the mirror as either you didn't take care of the car properly or you don't know how to buy used cars that were owned and taken care of properly. Think of it as a learning lesson... Then again, with the way you spell I'm not so sure you comprehend what a learning lesson is.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:18 PM
ud

Originally Posted by JagMechanic

I work on Jaguars all day 6 days a week and the Xtype would not be my choice neither. Its not a hard car to repair but i must say its a load of problems. 2.5L or 3.0L / new or old the problems are all the same. come on over and take a look at our shop here we have Xtypes and Stypes everywhere two Xtypes on the lift right now.

That arguement doesn't really fly with me as the X and S type outsold the XJ what 7 to 1 in the past 10 years. Of course you should expect to see them their in roughly the same ratio which is pretty much what I see at the local DEALERSHIP. Not that I'm doubting you work on them more, it seems to me to be more of the economy of scale. Just think, if Jag didn't make the X and S type, would you have enough work today? That's sadly the future for most of the ghost town Jag dealers I see in this economy.

Last edited by JimC64; 05-17-2010 at 02:55 PM. Reason: PLEASE REFRAIN FROM USING THE ALERNATIVE TERM TO DEALERSHIP!!!
Old 05-16-2010, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by benebob
That arguement doesn't really fly with me as the X and S type outsold the XJ what 7 to 1 in the past 10 years. Of course you should expect to see them their in roughly the same ratio which is pretty much what I see at the local ***********. Not that I'm doubting you work on them more, it seems to me to be more of the economy of scale. Just think, if Jag didn't make the X and S type, would you have enough work today? That's sadly the future for most of the ghost town Jag dealers I see in this economy.
yes more work for me its been great. what i have not been seeing much of is the XJ's in the shop maybe due to lack of buyers or its more a reliable car. personally love the XJ's this jaguar is a better made one then its brothers.

I have two xtype at my shop as for parts anyone needs parts send me a email from this fourm or come on down here. no engine/trans

Old 05-16-2010, 07:49 PM
ud

yes more work for me its been great. what i have not been seeing much of is the XJ's in the shop maybe due to lack of buyers or its more a reliable car. personally love the XJ's this jaguar is a better made one then its brothers.

I have two xtype at my shop as for parts anyone needs parts send me a email from this fourm or come on down here. no engine/trans
As it should be since it starts what 2.5x the price. BMW mechanics bit@h about the 3 series as well. Entry level lux cars suffer the same fate as entry level cars as a whole. People who can't afford them buy them because its a new car or its a new lux car. Then they struggle to make the payments while not doing the proper maint.

I too am a XJ fan but it is not likely a car for me as I need an AWD vehicle and personally want a 5 speed. Soon as Jag gets off their butt and gives me one of these I'll bite.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It depends on what class of clientele you serve. At the jag dealer near me, this is Tysons Corner in Virginia. The repair shop is full of XJs and XJRs. S Types and X Types are rare. Even the used car inventory has few late model x and s types, but I'm told they sell fast. Other than a very low mileage 2006 x type, everything else us 2007 and later.... I am not sure the x type is any more problematic than any other jag model out there. If anything, the later models are more reliable than avg.

Get a Maxima if what you want is a commuter appliance. It's probably the better appliance only because it is newer. I personally, would never buy a Maxima but to each his own. It's your money.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Yea, with out awd up here, your kinda fudged, although they do makt the dodge charger r/t's in awd form

Old 05-16-2010, 10:46 PM

I don't even know why your looking at these two cars, their not even in the same class. Come back and compare a BMW or Mercedes with us and not some junk Maxima. I mean no offense, but if you want to compare a Maxima look at a Toyota or Honda.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gsd2004
I don't even know why your looking at these two cars, their not even in the same class. Come back and compare a BMW or Mercedes with us and not some junk Maxima. I mean no offense, but if you want to compare a Maxima look at a Toyota or Honda.
Here is a quick side by side comparison of the 2007 X type v. The BMW 328xi, Mercedes C280 4 Matic and Audi A4 Quattro.

http://www.cars.com/go/compare/trimC...,USB70AUC017D0

The relative specs are pretty close across all of them. The notion that the x type isn't as powerful or as fast or as luxurious or as spacious isn't borne out by the numbers...

In terms of drivability I can testify that the x type actually drives better than the C280 4 Matic. The x type's steering is more responsive and the seats are more comfortable and overall the fittings are more solid - my 2007 x type has fewer rattles than the C 280 when going over rough roads - which is pretty common in the Washington DC area in Spring and especially true now around where I live and work.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by gsd2004
+1 The comparison of a nissan to a Jaguar is just stupid and pointless.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:37 PM
ud

+1 The comparison of a nissan to a Jaguar is just stupid and pointless.
I'm assuming that the original poster just has some eccletic tastes, the Maxima is much more upscale and sporty then anything Honda currently has and the only Toy that is close to it would be the Japanese Buick they call the Avalon. I really don't think it is too far fetched to compare the two, just as I wouldn't think it was too far fetched to compare an Caddie CTS with say a Dodge Challenger. Biggest difference I see is the size of the vehicles.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jonre
umm i think he/she is talking about a X-type, not a Jaguar!

pure jags are worth every penny! but a cross breed Ford not worth the dirt on my shoes!
My 04 X is doing just fine, thank you. Come visit and I'll give you a closer view.

Quick Reply: Tell me Guys is this Model a Lemon?