X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

test drove X-type have ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 08:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default test drove X-type have ?'s

I test drove the 2002 X-type Sport w/3.0L and 5spd manual w/58,286 miles yesterdayand overall I am pleased. This Jag has the Premium pkg, Sport pkg, and Weather pkg. Car was a 1 owner and came back with a clean CarFax. The car had all service records and was bought at HowardOrloff Jaguar in Chicago and was maintained mainly at Patrick Jaguar in Chicago. It had 10k, 20k, 30k, and 40k services. And had records for shop service oil changes ~3k miles.

My impressions were that the steering was top notch, very stable, weighted, and felt like the wheels were welded to the steering wheel.
The clutch pedal had some slop in it till engagement (is there an adjustment for this?) But the clutch was solid and engaged without error.

Car idled steadily and ran through the rev range perfectly. I did notice some synchro nothciness when shifting into third when it was cold.

I would like to change the transmission gear oil and rear differential fluid with Redlne or Amsoil...any recomendations?

The car had the often talked about dash rattle behind the passanger front air bag. Any clues on a fix?

Interior looked very nice and the seats were perfect. Couple small stains in the headlinerthough. Hood would not unlatch on right side, so I never got to look at the engine but I did look at another X-type's just for reference.

The sport seats each had a button near the bottom beneath the normal controls with a
'up and down' arrow. I tried each one thinking it would move the seat up or down but nothing happened.
Any idea what this switch is for or is it broke?

The front area suffered from some rock chips and the paint could use some minor attention, but there was no rust, scratches, or dents present.

This Jag has the Xenon headlamp option and I was curious how often do they go bad? Is there a replacement bulb or lamp that is required?
Also there is no record of the fuel sending unit in the tank ever being replaced, is this a probem that is likely to raise its ugly head soon?

Thank you all!

Old 12-31-2007, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: test drove X-type have ?'s

ORIGINAL: Chas944

Hood would not unlatch on right side, so I never got to look at the engine but I did look at another X-type's just for reference.
I would not buy the car unless they get that hood to open. You'd be surprised at how hard it is to get a hood open with a bad latch.

The sport seats each had a button near the bottom beneath the normal controls with a
'up and down' arrow. I tried each one thinking it would move the seat up or down but nothing happened.
Any idea what this switch is for or is it broke?
It's for lumbar support. It will inflate a bag in the lower back area of the seat.

Also there is no record of the fuel sending unit in the tank ever being replaced, is this a probem that is likely to raise its ugly head soon?
Why would you think that the fuel pump would need changing?

Old 01-01-2008, 03:27 AM

Thank you Mod for the replies!

I have in writing that I will not purchase the car if the hood latch is still not in working order. That was written on the vehicle satisfaction form stating any concerns if any prior to buying the vehicle. Since the hood did not meet my satisfaction I put that down and it voids the contract if not fixed. The seller (Luxury Motors) tried to fix it while I was there but given the tight confines they had no sucess at least while I was present. They stated they may have to take it to a Jaguar dealer for repair and they would pay for it no problem.

It's for lumbar support. It will inflate a bag in the lower back area of the seat.
Good to know what the seat button does, I will try it out more next time I go see the car.

Why would you think that the fuel pump would need changing?
I had heard through some reviews I had read from owners that the fuel sending unit was culprit for no start conditions so I was under the faint impression that it might be a common problem. I would certainly hope that is not the case.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

I had heard through some reviews I had read from owners that the fuel sending unit was culprit for no start conditions so I was under the faint impression that it might be a common problem. I would certainly hope that is not the case.
Haven't heard of it being a recurring problem, but I'm sure other X-perts will soon chime in with more knowledge.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:52 PM

I believe and from what I have read of the couple reviews about the premauture fuel sending unit that it happened before 30k miles. I figure if mine had not failed yet it is probably in the clear.