Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thanks to all of you

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Thanks to all of you

Hi Gang, I just wanted to thanks all of you, with a shout out to Thermo and Jeremy especially for the knowledge they gave me in dealing with my car.

I've sold the Jagon and have no clue as to what it will be replaced with at this point, still tossing around a lease as I can write off the cost. As most of you know I had the one dogged issue that haunted me for 6 month. Although I did fix it the damage was done and no matter what I could not get comfortable with the car especially if I had to drive any great distance.

I will likely drop by periodically to lurk, but would like to say good-bye and wish all of you the best of luck with your cars. I tell you the guy doesn't pick up the car until tomorrow but I will certainly miss it and all the associated comments I got whenever I parked it someplace.

Again thanks.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

:_)

I'll miss the Jagon.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

SWM, stick around. You have lots of knowledge that can be useful to other members. Not to scare you, but every vehicle has the chance of being a lemon. Sometimes cars just come off the line and can't be made right. I've seen some cars that were sworn to be a mess regardless of when they were built be like tanks. It is all in the luck of choosing a vehicle.

So, keep your eyes open and see what you can get. Granted, I would tell you to look at say a 5-8 year old XJ8 or XK and go from there. Can pick them up fairly cheap and should be a great car.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Thanks for your thread, I appreciate that . You sold off your ride but you are always welcome to join in conversations and visit Off Topic and other areas as well

Old 10-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks all, Thermo, you know I will still lurk here, I'm thinking of getting another Jag, maybe an X if I can get one in the US cheap. They're easy to bring up. I don't think my car was a lemon, I think the previous owner used crap gas and wasn't diligent in the cars care and feeding. Honestly now the car drives better than ever, the idle is now so smooth and it floats (as much as a sport model can) on the highway. But when I pulled apart the throttle body it was completely caked, the main butterfly was completely black and I used a clean rag with TB cleaner and when I was finished there was not a clean spot on the rag. I drove it in this morning. The guy is picking it up this afternoon and I can tell you honestly I will miss it. If I can find an X, sport, sedan for cheap this summer I might get it and stick in the garage as a project to play with. I know there has to be a way to bring out more ponies, and as I used to be hard core into offroading I had a friend of mine with tons of experience with TC say that he would love to pull iut apart and see where the weak points are and mod it for me so....

And Jeremy, I still want to come down to Seattle to have a close up look at your beast. Still the most unique X on the planet. Keep going, there must be something that you've been considering...just do it to quote MJ.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

sidewalkman, honestly, having lived in your neck of the woods, I would tell you to forgo the X-Type and step right up to the XJ. Sure, it is going to cost you a few more dollars to get, but the ride and quality of the car is much better. I think you won't be sad about making a decision like that.

As for beefing up the TC, I wish you luck on that. If your friend does figure out something, please pass on the word. From what I have heard (never had a TC fail on me), the case is the weak link. So, the question comes, how do you stiffen up the case. Without getting the case in my hands, I would be taking stabs in the dark. Sounds like a lot of aluminum welding to me to add reinforcements.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
SWM, stick around. You have lots of knowledge that can be useful to other members. Not to scare you, but every vehicle has the chance of being a lemon. Sometimes cars just come off the line and can't be made right. I've seen some cars that were sworn to be a mess regardless of when they were built be like tanks. It is all in the luck of choosing a vehicle.

So, keep your eyes open and see what you can get. Granted, I would tell you to look at say a 5-8 year old XJ8 or XK and go from there. Can pick them up fairly cheap and should be a great car.
There's a lot of truth in that really - cars are really thousands and thousands of little small parts, and there is so much that can go wrong. We are lucky any of them work right really.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thermo
sidewalkman, honestly, having lived in your neck of the woods, I would tell you to forgo the X-Type and step right up to the XJ. Sure, it is going to cost you a few more dollars to get, but the ride and quality of the car is much better. I think you won't be sad about making a decision like that.

As for beefing up the TC, I wish you luck on that. If your friend does figure out something, please pass on the word. From what I have heard (never had a TC fail on me), the case is the weak link. So, the question comes, how do you stiffen up the case. Without getting the case in my hands, I would be taking stabs in the dark. Sounds like a lot of aluminum welding to me to add reinforcements.
Thanks Chris

I have had as my wallpaper on my PC a 2008 XJ with the 'Super 8'. I see one almost every day by my office, has the full meal deal with video in the back seats and the rear digital display for the AC and seat heaters, pull down burl walnut trays etc. I love that car. I told the SO that in a year I'm going on the hunt for one for the summer / dry day only cruiser. I'm looking for Black exterior , with ivory / taupe piped interior and the lighter walnut. full pull NAV, bluetooth, DVD in the trunk premium model.

I spoke with a friend of mine who is a Jag Junkie, I told him my car is gone now, he told me it was 1 of 16 in Canada. Now I'm feeling even more meloncholy!!! (he says with a tear rolling down his cheek). But the new owner is a really nice guy, retired Doctor who lives on Vancouver Island. I think he will baby it. He is an X XJ owner but pre 2000 model. I can't believe after all of that he would consider another one but he ran a carfax and of course mine came through brilliantly.

Cheers,

Scott (SWM)

Old 11-03-2011, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Geez, I'm not on the Forum a few days (several actually but just days, not weeks) and I come back to see that you SWM, have parted ways with the Jagon. Glad to see that you are still hanging around though.

I see a Super V8 in your future!

Old 11-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

BMW is leasing the Z4 35i for $439/mo if you want to go the complete opposite direction in terms of practicality... Pretty sweet deal considering its a $60k+ car. Good luck on the hunt!