X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That's it for another year!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 04:04 AM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Default That's it for another year!

Just had my jaguar serviced. Same local guy who has always looked after my vehicles.
I usually supply the oil. "buy it cheap when on offer" Full service all filters good look round and strip and clean front and back brake callipers. New Ferodo rear brake pads and free off and grease the hand brake linkage. Collected and delivered to my door.
£150 aren't I a lucky lad?
It can be done. This guy is making a good living without ripping anyone off this was only a few hours work for him and he would pull off a couple more services in a working day. He did me two front springs last year for only a couple hours labour! Jaguar quoted me if I remember correctly £860 total.

Old 08-22-2020, 06:16 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Pity you are so far away from me, I'm looking for a firm that can do bits for me that I can trust. Maybe we should put some sort of recommended or approved list on here from members that have used firms regular that do a good job then we could have faith in taking our cars to these guys? I'm currently looking to have my inner track / tie rod replaced as I had a bump on that side a year ago, bought the outer rod end to change with the rest of the suspensions but cant budge it, Going to have to replace the inner too then have the alignment done. Will cost as much to have the alignment done as it will to have the parts replaced so looking to put it in a shop and save my knees.
I'm seriously thinking about asking jag to do it, as I already have the end so just need the inner from them then the alignment.
I've watched my local quick fit etc do jobs on other vehicles and cringed at what I saw, leaving calipers dangling by brake cables etc, so not going to one of them.
The theory is if I can find a shop that will do the alignment as part of the cost of the job I will probably break even..

Old 08-22-2020, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Hex Type
.....I'm seriously thinking about asking jag to do it, as I already have the end so just need the inner from them then the alignment.
I've watched my local quick fit etc do jobs on other vehicles and cringed at what I saw, leaving calipers dangling by brake cables etc, so not going to one of them.
The theory is if I can find a shop that will do the alignment as part of the cost of the job I will probably break even..
I think you'll find that Jaguar don't do the inner tie rod joints, only outers! It's a whole new steering rack if you give them the job.

Other suppliers may/will offer what you want. (But not OEM)

Last edited by astromorg; 08-23-2020 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-22-2020, 02:14 PM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

A lot of local ladies use my guy. After being fodder for the rip off merchants. As they can trust him. A great combination MOT and repairs at one work station.

Old 08-23-2020, 09:47 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by astromorg
I think you'll find that Jaguar don't do the inner tie rod joints, only outers! It's a whole new steering rack if you give them the job.

Other suppliers may/will offer what you want. (But not OEM)
For real...?? Will be rethinking that one in that case..
I've seen rods on Ebay etc some say OEM spec but you know what Ebays like when you cant see the sellers nose... Had fun getting the pulleys and tensioner from there.
I'm going to have a run down to a shop that's been recommended with alignment facilities so Ill case the place out and speak with them see if they can do what I want and if they sound reputable, damn I need to move