X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a key hole to acces the trunk on a 2002 X-type

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 04:40 PM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

So the whole emergency access to the boot/trunk project is now totally completed
I thought so but NO. Another minor 5 cents addition for UK owners.

I have been reading another forum re " stealing number plates"
This is a well known UK problem.
Stolen plates are then attached to another car ( probably an X type ) . This means that any offences are etc are blamed on the guy who lost the plates. e.g filling up with gas and driving off, speeding, charges for driving in London or bus lanes ( £130 a time ) etc.

As I want to retain the simple to remove screws I will now use some black Duct / Duck tape to cover the electric tie that is behind the number plate. If anyone unscrews the plate it will not be obvious that the emergency boot/trunk release tie is there.
(he thieves are after just the plates and want a quick getaway.)

Old 01-19-2013, 06:24 AM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by henry k
Consider what happens when a zillion miles from home at a lovely remote spot and you shut your keys in the boot/trunk.

Your reply ? ....censored
AHA! You mock me sir. But! I can lift the tag up as it's only secured with the top two screws. It will probably bend the tag but at least I can let my kidnap victim out when I reach the deserted spot without breaking the rear light cluster.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might not understand the question but I also have a 2002 x type and if the car is unlocked push the release button, with the head of the jaguar near the trunk or boot and it will open up. but the car has to be unlocked.

Old 10-04-2014, 03:11 PM
Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

What if you go through the rear seat ?? Just pull down the center arm rest and if it does not have the ( ski door ) the just cut out a hole and then hook and flashlight ? Or if your seats fold down, after cutting a whole through the arm rest , then pull the seat lever and crawl in.

Worst case then make the hole the same size as one of those small ski doors that some cars have and install one. Just cut the leather flap cover straight and add some velcro to overlap which would make it a nice flap whenever you want to open it.

I've seen it done on Bimmer's that wanted to add one. Check out post #5 on this : Has anyone an E39 DIY to retrofit the ski hole from trunk to rear seat cushion? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Old 10-05-2014, 04:25 AM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Just pull down the center arm rest and if it does not have the ( ski door ) the just cut out a hole and then hook and flashlight ? Or if your seats fold down, after cutting a whole through the arm rest , then pull the seat lever and crawl in.
The UK X types do not have an emergency release so even if you get access, the lock assembly has to be removed.

I believe the majority of UK cars do not have a folding rear seat.
From what I have read about "Can I upgrade my X type to have folding seats?"
there are some steel cross beams that would need removing (welded in position).

I suspect some USA models do not have folding seats hence the advice to smash a rear light to gain access to the emergency release.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:35 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

I'll never tell if I have done this or not!

driiled a very small hole directly in front of the emergency release cam,, and placed a grommet in the hole. looped a small piece of multicore wire through the cam arm, and soldered the loop. passed the other end of the wire through the hole to the outside behind the tag. Also placed a loop (finger sized) out there.

Placed a piece of body-colored scotchcal over the loop of wire.

If it is ever needed, it is there, just remove the tag, peel back the tape and pull the loop.