X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

are they really that terrible?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fairly new to Jags. I just bought an '01 XK8 that I am in love with (always wanted one). A rear drive rag top in NY does not make for a winter friendly car, so I am now looking for a daily driver. I am coming off lease in August on my Volvo S60 T5 AWD. It's my second volvo and it's been a great car). Say what you will, but Ford did wonders for their prestige cars. I broke the bank a bit on the XK8 (paid a premium for the great condition and low mileage (18,000)). So, now I am looking for a car under 10k that looks nice, has luxury car features and can make it through the winter. An '02 or '03 x-type would probably work well, but I do have the same concerns. If you can live without the all wheel drive, I think you might be better off though with a 97-00 XJ8, which IMO is more of proper jag and a good one can be had for the same price as an X-type. All jags have their issues, but no car is more Jag than an XJ (including my XK) frankly, they are pretty good, reliable cars on the whole if you get the right one. People still get scared off over the Nikasil issues on the pre-00 models, but that's not a big deal and the bad engines likely blew a few years ago at this point (and you can get a blow-by test done for less than $100 bucks for peace of mind). If you're willing to go higher mileage for a lower purchase price, you should add in repairs like changing the upper timing belt tensioners. Those seem to be the ones that caused most of the problems and aren't that pricey to replace (the lower tensioners are a bit more difficult to reach). You also would probably want to do some preventative medacine and replace the transmission pan and filter and you can really extend the transmission life by 1000's of miles. If you pick up a '98 that drives well for 5,500 with 100k on the odometer and put another 2,000 into preventative care, you'll have a very solid car that will last you a long time with lots of wonderful miles. Plus, this was once a $60,000 car and it really doesn't look much different from the later models (most people wouldn't know the difference). I think the ladies will definitely dig it (although nothing beats the XK8 in that department).

Old 05-21-2009, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by aquill1
9/10 people would prefer the look of the sport.

IMO the non-sport model look cheap with the chrome. There isn't a difference in performance between a sport and non sport. The only difference (that matters car wise) is the seats are snugger (extremely more comfortable than the regular seats) and the suspension is a tad lower. My 3.0 sport was no peppier than a non-sport 3.0, it just happened to look classier!

BTW did you ever drive a sport model to notice the differences? I had a 07 as a rental and the seats sucked...
That "9/10" stat sounds impressive, but I'm sure its not scientific LOL. Look, styling, and car models and makes are mostly subjective. Thats my point. I think the painted out trim cheapens the sport, you think the chrome cheapens the nonsport. Frankly, who cares what each of us think. I just see people always telling others to "make sure" they get a Sport, without thinking for a minute that maybe they actually like the look of the non-sport. Like I said, I've driven and owned sports cars, but I chose to buy my X because I didnt want another sports car, or worse, a car pretending to be a sports car. I enjoy my X for its comfort, its looks, and its traction.

Anyway, not looking to make a mountain out of this molehill. Just remember, not all of us are impressed with the sport, and many of us like the nonsport just fine.

Also, for the others who told me that the engine performance isnt better on a sport, thanks. I didnt know that. I wouldve thought Jag wouldve at least added 1-20 HP to the output to justify the label "sport". Still, I know some sports car enthusiasts who would argue that lower and firmer suspension equals horsepower for the turns ) Thats what I used to say when I lowered my Supra.

Take care guys. We all love our X-types.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

It's me who is going for 1/10 for sport vs non sport preferences lol .I don't have an X Type but I just love those rides as well .

Old 05-21-2009, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never once heard a single soul say they wanted chrome after owning a sport. I can assure you that I've been on this site for a while and can't count the times people wish they didn't have the chrome.

If jag went over the top with styling on the sport they may have changed the performance. The fact that they just made it look more sleek didn't necessitate needing performance.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member

This definitely looks better...

It's not just the chrome either, the wheels look hideous on ever 02/03. The 04 17's look alright but they still aren't better than aguilla's or the 18's. I think my least favorite part is the chrome around the doors...hey nyc tell me the half chrome looks better than black? The front chrome is tolerable but that door trim chrome is hideous.

I'm out, I know I'd never own one with chrome.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

yah i have a non sport and i don't like the chrome on the windows, but what ever, i can't wait to get it limo tinted

Old 05-21-2009, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Master Deep
Yea I do slide on my seats especially after cleaning/conditioning the leather. But I'm only 142 lbs. I'm working out to get bigger though.

And the heated seats in the x-type are an absolute joke. In winter when you need them, they take about 5-10 mins to get hot. So basically it takes as long as it takes your heater to warm up. Which is ridiculous. The bimmer takes 45 secs to heat up to max.

Try finding a sport model and swap out the seats. The side bolsters hold you in a lot better than the flat seats of the other models. I didn't notice they were different until I had the rental. I didn't really notice the seats since I always start the car and let it run for a couple of minutes. 5 mins would suck but not having them is even worse! LOL Although in TX I rarely needed them in my mounty this winter...

Old 05-21-2009, 06:38 PM

I have a non-sport model and I don't mind the chrome one tiny bit. The pictures you used aquill are kind of unfair as the first X-Type is of a color that I couldn't even describe. Plus it's missing its leaper. The X-Type on the second picture looks like a brand new car.

The biggest difference to me in the pictures is the wheels, but I just got some 17-inch MSR on mine for fairly cheap (150$ per wheel) and I think they look great.

As for heated seats, I have them and they don't take nearly 5 to 10 minutes to warm up. But I find heated seats uncomfortable so I barely use them and I'm in Canada, go figure.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

yeah im up in canada as well, i don't mind the chrom on the front, but the heated seats are nessarcy in our -40 degree celcius weather, uim thankfull i have them.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sevren
I have a non-sport model and I don't mind the chrome one tiny bit. The pictures you used aquill are kind of unfair as the first X-Type is of a color that I couldn't even describe. Plus it's missing its leaper. The X-Type on the second picture looks like a brand new car.

The biggest difference to me in the pictures is the wheels, but I just got some 17-inch MSR on mine for fairly cheap (150$ per wheel) and I think they look great.

As for heated seats, I have them and they don't take nearly 5 to 10 minutes to warm up. But I find heated seats uncomfortable so I barely use them and I'm in Canada, go figure.
If you'd rather I could have posted pics of my car would that be more fair? I couldn't find any other pics quickly of the same colors in sport/non-sport...

And clearly jag knew that the painted version is much better looking...

Last edited by aquill1; 05-21-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually like the chrome on my silver x. But on all other colors, the chrome just doesn't look as good as body colored.

But I wish I had the Sport pack just for the firmer suspension and better seats. Rest isn't anything big.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:27 PM

Oh and I like the old x-type's looks A LOT better than the current one. They seemed to have removed some curves from the car.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Master Deep
I actually like the chrome on my silver x. But on all other colors, the chrome just doesn't look as good as body colored.

But I wish I had the Sport pack just for the firmer suspension and better seats. Rest isn't anything big.
I'll agree with you on that. You can't really tell the stuff is chrome with the silver. The other colors contrast the chrome more.

I like the newer x's because the front looks more hard (not sure if that's the word.) Not that it really matters we'll never see any...

Old 05-22-2009, 07:18 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Sevren
I have a non-sport model and I don't mind the chrome one tiny bit. The pictures you used aquill are kind of unfair as the first X-Type is of a color that I couldn't even describe. Plus it's missing its leaper.
FYI: The "purple" car in the picture is Euro.. Hence no leaper. The Euro S didn't have it either.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:22 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Here is a picture of the entire line in 2000 from a UK brochure. Notice no leapers on any car. I love silly trivia....

http://www.jag-lovers.org/brochures/x-type/pic3.jpg

Also, here is an 05 UK x type brochure picture of interior's that were available. Notice the cloth seats for the "classic".. And notice the manual climate control switches vs. the LCD display standard on NA cars....

http://www.jag-lovers.org/brochures/...1-055_46_l.jpg

Last edited by JOsworth; 05-22-2009 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Here is a picture of the entire line in 2000 from a UK brochure. Notice no leapers on any car. I love silly trivia....

http://www.jag-lovers.org/brochures/x-type/pic3.jpg

Also, here is an 05 UK x type brochure picture of interior's that were available. Notice the cloth seats for the "classic".. And notice the manual climate control switches vs. the LCD display standard on NA cars....

http://www.jag-lovers.org/brochures/...1-055_46_l.jpg
Trivia is never useless if you're fascinated in it like I am ) Thanks for that.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by aquill1
I've never once heard a single soul say they wanted chrome after owning a sport. I can assure you that I've been on this site for a while and can't count the times people wish they didn't have the chrome.

If jag went over the top with styling on the sport they may have changed the performance. The fact that they just made it look more sleek didn't necessitate needing performance.
LOL, we'll never agree on this one, because it is strictly subjective. I just wanted to shout out all the non-sport lovers out there. Let you guys know that we exist.

As for Jag going without chrome in the latest models, it shows they are trying to compete. I dont think any major car maker is going with chrome these days. Chrome is more prevalent on classically styled cars, hence why I love the chrome on mine ) I like that classic, elegant look on my Jag. having said that, I must admit I like the new X-Type too, but ffor different reasons.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We've been very happy with ours. Very few repairs, drives well. Not what I'd call a chick magnet, but maybe that's me :-)

Old 05-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  19.3 KB

The X is one beautiful car no doubt about it and it WILL get you noticed thats for sure.
Top tips some / most of which already mentioned.

Get an 04 if possible as most of the issues worked out on that model.
Get the SPORT model unless you're a serious chrome fanatic.
Make sure it had all the necessary history and dealership stamps and you should be good to go.

One other thing to bear in mind......although this is a Jag forum primarily for Jag owners / lovers one of the biggest reasons members visit here is because they have probs with their car and or looking to get ideas about mods / upgrades etc so you will get a lot of people here talking about all their issues with their car to share with everyone.
Most of them however will all tell you about how much they love their car too, but everyone, absolutely everyone will post about their problems

Old 05-22-2009, 04:00 PM

Finally finished my full detail and took the car out for the first time in a week. Car felt great. It really is a fun car to drive. But now it's going to rain so i'm leaving it in the garage till wed. eh more time to study i guess. lol

Quick Reply: are they really that terrible?