Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thin white smoke on 04 X type

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 05:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thin white smoke on 04 X type

Hi all,

I purchased a 2004 X type 2 litre V6 petrol 6 months ago. It's recently just passed its MOT. But recently I have a thin white smoke coming out of the exhaust and also when I go to accelerate quickly it feels like the engine sometimes hold back. Please could someone give me any idea as to what may be causing these issues.

Many thanks

Old 11-19-2019, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Does the white smoke happen when you first start the car in the morning when it is cold out ? And does the smoke quickly dispappear into the air or does it kind of hang around and is visible and is kind of blueish white wit an oder to it? If it is the former, that is just condensation and nothing to worry about. If it is the latter then that could be oil or coolant and would need to be addressed. However, I doubt if you could pass your MOT if it was that.

As far as the engine not feeling responsive enough, you will have to describe that better for someone to be able to even guess at a possible cause. Has it always been that way since you bought it or did it happen recently. If it was recently can you decribe the conditions when you first noticed it? Did you have any work done on it? Are there any lights that came on the dash?

Old 11-25-2019, 06:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Does the white smoke happen when you first start the car in the morning when it is cold out ? And does the smoke quickly dispappear into the air or does it kind of hang around and is visible and is kind of blueish white wit an oder to it? If it is the former, that is just condensation and nothing to worry about. If it is the latter then that could be oil or coolant and would need to be addressed. However, I doubt if you could pass your MOT if it was that.

As far as the engine not feeling responsive enough, you will have to describe that better for someone to be able to even guess at a possible cause. Has it always been that way since you bought it or did it happen recently. If it was recently can you decribe the conditions when you first noticed it? Did you have any work done on it? Are there any lights that came on the dash?

Thanks I took the car for a good run out and the white smoke has now gone so must of been condensation as it was like a thin white vape.

Regarding the engine hesitation it happens when I try to accelerate quickly. It's quite hard to describe but here goes. When. I accelerate quickly the engine seems to skip beats. It's like a jet ski when it keeps hitting the water at full speed. Engine goes then pulls back then goes then pulls back. If that makes any sense.