X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

think i need a new transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default think i need a new transfer case

the car has been making a muffling sound mostly from 30-50mph and mostly when i am giving it gas so i am pretty sure its not the wheel bearings. also when i go uphill i feel something slipping. i thought it was the transmission and changed the fluid (it was burnt) however it still slipped. then i open the drain plug on my transfer case and only a few drops came out. i did the homemade method of filling the case up and got about a quart in did a test drive and its still making noise so i am pretty sure i need a new transfer case. is it really that hard to swap? must i take the sub frame off? any special tool i am going to need? how long of a job is this? i do have access to a lift and tools.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:08 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

If you feel the transmission slipping and it has burned oil then you
have a bad transmission. Burned oil generally results from a burned
clutch in the transmission.

Even a bad transfer case will not give you that slipping feeling on
a dry road. It may grind up but that is a different effect.

Pete.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:11 PM

so i have a bad transmission and a bad transfer case...great

Old 05-14-2013, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

I don't think you have a bad transfer case, but I do think that your transmission clutches have been burned. I have never seen a transfer case go out on these cars and give limited power like you are indicating. I have only ever heard of a transfer case going out to the point that the car wouldn't move, or all of the wheels got locked up and caused a grinding noise. Never a slight slip like you are indicating.

The good part is that your transmission is still kinda working right now. Burnt fluid in an auto almost always points to irreversible tranny damage. Believe me, I looked at burnt fluid on my jeep a few 1000 miles ago and just had to swap the tranny on it. The only thing I would recommend to you is Lucas oil transmission fix. I have never seen it work on autos where the tranny is fully slipping (won't even go forward) but I have seen it do wonders for transmission like yours where they are just starting to go. It seems to just glue your transmission together for awhile. I don't know how long this will work if it does work, but it's worth the $10 because if it does work, it will save you a LOT of money in the long run.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:13 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Myjag2sexy , how many miles on your car?

Old 05-15-2013, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by rclangelan
Myjag2sexy , how many miles on your car?
89,000 I got a estimate to rebuild it for 2500...anyone want to buy a jaguar?

Old 05-15-2013, 01:52 PM

just did a little more research and someone told me the noise is likely your converter but when i youtube bad sounding converters none of them sounded like mine. their's was loud and winding mine is more of a tunneling. also their's you can hear outside the car mine you can only hear inside. i also thought whats the reasoning why i just can't replace the converter only?

Old 05-15-2013, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member

Myjag, I'm sorry that you're discovering how terrible these cars are when they were fitted with the auto tranny. You should be able to just replace the torque converter, however if the converter grenaded, it will send metal fragments and bad fluid throughout the whole transmission and thus you should rebuild your transmission in this case. Are you sure that the sound that you hear isn't the center driveshaft bearing and are you sure that the car is in fact slipping? A tunneling noise is EXTREMELY common on these xtypes where the center bearing goes bad.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:11 PM

The sound not so sure but it is definetly slipping only uphills though

Old 05-16-2013, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member

ok, well try the lucas and then report how that went

Old 05-17-2013, 07:08 AM

I went to a couple different autoparts stores and none had lucas so i put a different name brand in and drove it a hour last night and 45 min to work today and its still slipping during uphills. I also sprayed the center bearing with wd40 and its still making that tunneling noise leading me to believe its the tranny. My next question is how do I know if the tranny is slipping or my converter is slipping. I been searching online and nothing is really clear o n how to identify this. I know both should be replaced but I want to challenge this

Old 05-17-2013, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member

Spraying the center bearing with wd40 will do nothing. All other tranny products other than lucas are crap.

If you tranny is slipping, then only one gear will slip. If your torque converter is slipping, then all gears will slip. The torque converter can be tested like a clutch. If it feels like the clutch has gone out (ebrake engaged+throttle=slip) then it's your TC. If it's just one gear, then it's your tranny itself.

Before you throw in the towel, try disconnecting your battery overnight. This will erase all user data from the car which could be initiating the slip from somewhere within the TCM (transmission control module) and will start the car as if it were coming straight off the lot.

Also, take a video or sound clip of the "tunneling." It is very hard to diagnose a sound over the internet.