X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle sensor Error

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 01:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Throttle sensor Error

Hello, I have a 03 Jag X type 3.0, was getting Throttle Angle sensor code. Bought new sensor and installed and still throwing same code. Put new terminals on red and green wire connector also opened up the black case on throttle body and cleaned out those terminals. Does the sensor need reset? Or in a SPECIFIC position? I tried to keep the screws even with evenly spaced on each side of the hole there I’m attached to the sensor. Bought a used TPM off eBay but no change with that either. This is literally the only code and is stuck in limp mode. Dash reads engine fault gearbox fault. Somebody please help me...it is so close to being fixed I hope, gifted by my father who has stage 4 and really want to get it running good again so I can show him. Thank you

Old 10-11-2020, 07:42 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,915 Likes on 3,217 Posts

Quinn, if my memory serves me correct, if you pulled off the sensor, you need to measure the voltage on the 2 wires and position the sensor such that is reads just under 1.000 VDC with the car at in the RUN position (engine not running). You want it under 1.000, but as close to 1.000 as you can get it. If you get it over 1.000, then the car thinks the throttle is stuck open and gives codes.

What I have seen in the past is the brushes will wear and they can reach a point where they will be just touching and this causes the motor that drives the throttlebody to not develop enough torque to keep the throttle positioned correctly, leading to what you are seeing. I guess a quick thing that I would make sure of is that the throttlebody is all silver on the inside. If you get gum build up (the brown stuff you see), it can cause the throttlebody to do strange things.

Old 12-06-2020, 12:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

On my 1998 XK8, I had to replace the hose to the throttle body, the accessory belt tension regulator, and the throttle pully to make this error message go away. Did them all at once so I do not know which did the trick. The labor to get the tension regulator is the high cost, so the throttle body hose and pulley repair should be done. I also replaced the water pump at the same time. At 20 years old and 95,000 miles, many things will go wrong. The enemy if you are not doing the work yourself is the labor. Ask what other parts can be replaced at the same time the car needs absolute repairs at the time. Unfortunately, to keep these cars on the road is a project.

Old 12-06-2020, 05:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently purchased an 03 X Type 2.5L,
after changing plugs I was getting the same error. I believe when I moved the upper intake j must have pulled on the wiring to the TPS harness. I checked the wires there and the yellow wire popped right out as it was no longer connected to the pin. I stripped back a little insulation and pushed it back in to the harness and then took a sewing pin and stuck it through the insulation and up into the harness to make contact with the metal piece that the pin makes contact with. The codes and dash errors went away and haven’t returned. I know I’ll eventually have to deal with that wiring harness but she’s running great for now.

Old 12-09-2020, 11:40 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

If you have a code reader that can do Live data you can connect it and watch the reading for the tps. Do this with the car turned on but not running. Not touching the pedal see what the reading is then very very slowly push the gas pedal down and watch the reading. It should start out around 3-7% and end up at 100% when wide open. The reading should slowly keep climbing as you puts the throttle down. Scale should be a smooth climb if not then sensor or wiring would be the problem. Also make sure that the other plug is plugged in on the throttle body. One side has the tps and the other has the throttle plate motor. If the other one isn’t plugged up or maybe has a bent pin in the connector then it to will give the gearbox fault reading and won’t throttle up