X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thumb wheels on the steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 03:58 AM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default thumb wheels on the steering wheel

2004 Estate. Are these interchangeable? Two of the three are quite worn. How do I remove them?

Old 10-12-2021, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,999 Likes on 794 Posts

Hi badhuis,

If you have the thumb wheel type controls on your steering wheel spokes (like illistrated below), then each assembly I believe is held in with just a single screw from the rear of the steering wheel.
You should be able to release the appropriate assembly and unplug the associated connectors relatively easily.
I would doubt you need to remove the airbag first.
Unsure if Phillips or Torx headed retainer screw.

Old 10-13-2021, 02:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,999 Likes on 794 Posts

Hi badhuis,
Sorry....I've put you wrong with my prior post today (written during a break at work).
When I got into mine car after work finished, I looked for the screw access holes I thought were there and I must have been thinking of one of my other cars.

Looks like we have to take the steering wheel off to get to the inner workings.
I haven't had to do this myself yet but from what I can work out from pictures and other comments online, this is what I believe are the steps we need to do.

Caution....Best to disconnect battery so you don't mistakenly trigger airbag when working on the steering wheel.

To get at the airbag assembly retaining clips you need to remove steering column cowlings.
Then the two access holes to the airbag clips in the back of the steering wheel become accessible.
Straighten wheel before you start so you have a known registration point to refit back to.
Using a flat blade screwdriver you can insert and twist to activate clips to release airbag....be careful not to let the airbag assembly move too far so you don't damage the wiring or connectors.
Once the airbag is off you can get to the centre hub bolt to release the steering wheel.
Disconnect clock spring wires to controls.
Undo hub bolt part way if you are pulling manually (as bolt will stop you smacking yourself in the kisser when you yank on the wheel).
If you have a steering wheel puller then you would take bolt fully out first.
Now you should be able to pull the steering wheel. (note clock spring assembly detent for refitting wheel)
Now you have the wheel off you can remove the screws that hold on the rear dressing cover to then access the control switch assembly retaining screws.

I welcome any other forum members to chime in with additional details or corrections to help.

Old 10-13-2021, 04:59 AM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Mark for your extended reply.
Too much trouble for me! The baldness of the thumb wheels do annoy but not that much. If it was just a case of unscrewing the assembly then I would go for it.