X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tinted Tail Lights - Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Tinted Tail Lights - Advice?

I've seen lots of lesser cars with tinted tail lights and i kinda like that look - especially if the car is black and the tinting is dark.

I've been thinking of doing it to my Black '03 X for at least a year. I read here (as ExExPatPat noted) that you can use VHT Nightshades, but that you have to go darker and polish it or it looks dull and rough (and I have seen some of those too, and I definitely don't want to go there.)

So i have a few questions I am hoping the hive mind can answer before I plunge in...

Are there any legal issues in NY state with tinting your Tail lights? I see lots of them on the road, but that doesn't mean much.

Is paint the preferred method? (is there no suitable and durable film alternative?)

I'm reasonably handy and comfortable with paint (artist who also worked as master painting contractor for many, many years) - but I never painted anything on a car, and I don't have a garage. I assume VHT Nightshades is your average spray paint, and that a steady hand, still air, and multi-layer application with drying time between the coats is what is involved?

The tails look fairly glossy now, and most paint will not adhere to a super-smooth (glossy) surfaces as well as it does to a matte surface - so are you supposed to prep the surface before spraying away?

What's involved in the polishing part to get the glossiness back up to where it should be when you're done? Is it just buffing with an electric buffer? If so, can that be done by hand? (all I have is a crappy 5" buffing attachment for my power drill)

Is it removable with gentle solvent if I botch it?

And perhaps _most importantly_, what is the durability like? - how is it going to look 2 or 5 years down the road? Anybody have long-term experience with it?

If i do take the plunge, I think I'll experiment on the wife's toyota first (or maybe i can borrow Vincek's rusty '73 toyota to experiment on?)

And an unnswerable Q - Why on earth did they make the white backup light portion of the tails so freakin HUGE? You can't see much out the back anyway, and they could have done something alot smaller. I like the Mina tails too - but not $500 worth, and those aren't painted either.

To paint? or Not to paint?

Last edited by MeatBag; 04-25-2010 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Tails
Old 04-25-2010, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Goof Off is handy if you mess up. Use it to prep your lights also. You don't need to rough up the surface if it is clean.

As far as law issues, just don't go so dark that the lights don't put out sufficient light. If they are bad, you can move to a higher lumen bulb (that is another thread worth of conversation, as most LEDs put out less light, but the right ones outperform 1156/1157 incandescent.)

Old 04-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MeatBag
I've seen lots of lesser cars with tinted tail lights and i kinda like that look - especially if the car is black and the tinting is dark.

I've been thinking of doing it to my Black '03 X for at least a year. I read here (as ExExPatPat noted) that you can use VHT Nightshades, but that you have to go darker and polish it or it looks dull and rough (and I have seen some of those too, and I definitely don't want to go there.)

So i have a few questions I am hoping the hive mind can answer before I plunge in...

Are there any legal issues in NY state with tinting your Tail lights? I see lots of them on the road, but that doesn't mean much.

Is paint the preferred method? (is there no suitable and durable film alternative?)

I'm reasonably handy and comfortable with paint (artist who also worked as master painting contractor for many, many years) - but I never painted anything on a car, and I don't have a garage. I assume VHT Nightshades is your average spray paint, and that a steady hand, still air, and multi-layer application with drying time between the coats is what is involved?

The tails look fairly glossy now, and most paint will not adhere to a super-smooth (glossy) surfaces as well as it does to a matte surface - so are you supposed to prep the surface before spraying away?

What's involved in the polishing part to get the glossiness back up to where it should be when you're done? Is it just buffing with an electric buffer? If so, can that be done by hand? (all I have is a crappy 5" buffing attachment for my power drill)

Is it removable with gentle solvent if I botch it?

And perhaps _most importantly_, what is the durability like? - how is it going to look 2 or 5 years down the road? Anybody have long-term experience with it?

If i do take the plunge, I think I'll experiment on the wife's toyota first (or maybe i can borrow Vincek's rusty '73 toyota to experiment on?)

And an unnswerable Q - Why on earth did they make the white backup light portion of the tails so freakin HUGE? You can't see much out the back anyway, and they could have done something alot smaller. I like the Mina tails too - but not $500 worth, and those aren't painted either.

To paint? or Not to paint?
Auto tint (5%) worked on my tails!! looks good to.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,923 Likes on 3,223 Posts

Meatbag, I would do some research into what your local laws are. Having been in the military and dealing with a lot of different states (not NY though), most states have a law to the effect of no item shall be placed over the tail lights as to hinder their ability to project light. This would include, but not limited to, plastic tail light covers, window tint, paint, etc. In addition to this, they also have a lumen limit. From what I found concerning snowmobiles, that would be considered "sufficient light to be able to be seen easily at a distance of no less than 500 feet during clear weather conditions". I am guessing that automobiles will have something very similar to this, if not out to a greater distance.

Something to consider is that it may be one of those things that most cops will look past it as long as they can tell that your brake lights are coming on and will not stop you if you just have this. Now, lets say you are talking on the cell phone and have the tail lights tinted, this may be enough for the cop to pull you over. Now you are opening yourself up for 2 tickets vice one.

There are adhesive films out there that are specifically designed to be put on the tail lights. Atleast if you put this on and the cop gives you a hard time, you can possibly get out of the ticket by simply pulling the tint off of the car right there. Some cops will go for this, others won't and will expect you to go to court for this/pay the fine. A lot of this depends on how your cops are in the area and what your age is. Unfortunately, if you are young and drive a Jag, expect to be given a hard time with a modification like this. I know my son got hassled tons of time because of my lifted truck, yet I would never get even looked at twice.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,

I've also been looking into tinting my tailights (blk x-type) and didn't feel like doing the work myself. I called a bunch of tinting shops and finally I called an auto body paint shop, who actually has a guy that comes to their garage and will tint the taillights. They tint the outside of the taillight and can do a few different colors, as well as smoked or completely blacked out. He said it would be 50 bucks per light. 100 bucks total isnt bad considering the supplies and time it would take you to do it yourself. I hoping to do it next month. Up-load some pics if you get yours tinted.

Not sure of the laws anymore in NY, but out here in AZ i see blacked out lenses all the time.

Dustin

Old 05-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

My side markers are tinted and I used the vinyl type tint. It is super easy to put on with a blow dryer and it is not a permanent mod to your car since you cant rip it off fairly easy.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
My side markers are tinted and I used the vinyl type tint. It is super easy to put on with a blow dryer and it is not a permanent mod to your car since you cant rip it off fairly easy.
my bf did that with his caddi... its pearl white though so he got pearl white vinyl.. he also did his fog lights
anyways, can u post a pic? i wanna see ... bc he keeps telling me to black mine out...