X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires tires tires x-type

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 09:42 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm looking myself, I haven't found anything that looks good right now. If you find a good deal or a good tire for Jaguars let me know, I'll do the same. Thanks

Old 11-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I've been really happy with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS all-seasons I got last year. They are a pretty good tire at a VERY good price. You might find something better, but it would probably cost a whole lot more, probably twice as much for some sizes.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....emeContact+DWS

Old 11-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

16, 17 or 18s?

What's on there now. You know the drill, all seasons are good in inclement weather but are not a performance tire. If you want to grip and rip into corners you need to look at a ZR rated directional summer only tire.

Everything depends on what you want from a performance level and work back from there to your actual budget.

I run performance in the summer on 18s and winter only tires on 16" steel rims.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've gone through some tires. Here in AZ I have burned through Continentals and Michelins quickly, like in less than 25K miles.

Have been happy with my second set of Yokohamo tires. At least I've gotten about 35K out of the first set.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Andy94SC
I've been really happy with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS all-seasons I got last year. They are a pretty good tire at a VERY good price. You might find something better, but it would probably cost a whole lot more, probably twice as much for some sizes.

I would give a thumbs up to the Conti DWS. The Rack did run out of them last year.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was running Yokohamas on my 06 X when I traded it off. They were fairly inexpensive and I was pleased with them. I put a set of Kumhos on my current car, an 06 S Type, and they're wearing very well. Had the Jag dealer handle the whole deal - tires, mounting, road force balancing, and an alignment. Cost me $900 for the whole package.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 11-06-2010, 02:31 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy94SC

That's what I have as well - Extreme Contact. Which all weathers do you feel are better than them? The DWS Extreme Contact are far superior to the OEM Pro Contacts. Just curious.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't know of anything off hand that's better, that's why I said "might." Maybe a Michelin Pilot of some sort? A Bridgestone Potenza? The DWS finished top in the tirerack testing of all season tires in Winter driving though. I think I paid just over $500 mounted and balanced, that's in the price range on no-name, no-performance tires.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I did not like the stock conti's on my X, way too much road noise. I switched to a set of Goodyear RSA's and they are much better tires. Less noise, great in all weather conditions. These tires are also OEM on my 09 Nissan Murano and I have no complaints on there either. I highly suggest these tires to anyone looking for a excellent all season tire for their X's.

I run summer tires too, but only on my Mustang Gt.. Only comes out when the weather is nice anyway.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:08 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ours has Kuhmo Estca ASXs on it. It is my 3rd set of ASXs. A very solid performing all season. Not great at anything but not bad in any condition either. In otherwords very stable in all conditions, temp or weather. I'd expect 35-40k out of 'em based on past experience but we rarely reach the need for replacement due to mileage anyways. Usually that 5 year lifespan comes first. Paid $280 installed from my local shop for 16s. It had Conti Contacts on it when I got it with 2/3rds tread. I swapped them out 3 days later for the ASXs. Loud, horrible wet weather performance and absolutely no "feel" of the road.

Last edited by benebob; 11-06-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New paws on the cat.....

I just put on a set of Goodyear Eagle GT's. I like them so far. (about 500 miles on 'em) They replaced the OEM style Conti's which were just noticeably smoother than the GT's but I attribute that more to the calibration the operator of the roadforce balancer then the tires. Printout said about 17 Lbs.

The GT's are about an inch wider than the Conti's in the same size so I looked at the clearance when turning. In a right turn on the right side to the rear of the tire I couldn't fit a forefinger between the tire & the fenderliner! The good news is I have not had a rub yet and under driving conditions that would be the unloaded side of the car which should aid clearance as the body rolls.

I will soon see how the snow traction is with them here in Michigan.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a very happy with Kumho ecsta spt 16", works perfect in hot summerday and never got any trouble in a heavy rain either. Enjoy the silence... for me 16" is the most comfort choice.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

http://TireRack.com is THE place to go for tires! Even here in the middle of the worlds largest golf course they deliver them in just a few days, and the prices are superb.

I got some Bridgestone "X" speed-rated summer tires and Pirelli studded winter tires from them, and was very happy with both transactions.

I did kinda **** to the phone rep about seeing a better price on the web for the go-fast tires, and some nice lady with them called me back after the order and sent me a $30 gift certificate! That made them less expensive than anywhere else I could find.

The website is easy and fun to use (preview the tires on your car!), and they seem hell-bent on customer satisfaction. Too bad that companies that do everything well like Tire Rack does usually get bought out by the competition and destroyed.

I also just bought 5 "new" wheels for my 2002 X type, a set of refinished factory ones at http://tinyurl.com/39ydpfj The price at $108 USD with free shipping each was the best I could find, and the wheels look quite acceptable. The finish is maybe an 8 out of (factory finish) 10, so I think I will spend a little time working the rest of the kinks out of the paint before I mount the snow tires on them.

The studded tires make the car grip the ice like a kitty on the curtains. Oh, they are loud as hell, but that is what the radio is for! It's a very small price to pay for feeling like you are driving with velcro tires on the slickest ice.

Over 100 mph they start letting loose of the studs, and when those hit inside the wheelwell they sound like being struck by a bullet. The owners manual says "don't exceed 130 mph with the studded tyres".

(That kind of takes all the fun out of it!)