Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touch screen calibration ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touch screen calibration ?

Hi,

I need some help for my 2005 X-Type : My touch screen works but it need to be recalibrated, I don't find how I can do that.

The problem : On Y axis, to tap a centered idem I should tap on the top of the screen. To tap a lower idem, I have to tap 1cm up to it. Upper idems can't be selected.... On X axis, there's no problem.

I can't. By the way, I can't enter pin code to access hidden menus (but I didn't see on the web in theses menus anything about touch screen calibration).

Is there anywhere something to do to initialize, reinitialize or calibrate the touch sensor, to tell him center is here, top there, bottom, yes there.... ???

Thanks a lot for answers

Old 09-04-2020, 08:20 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

frank, I seem to remember that there is a procedure to calibrate. Please keep in mind that you want to be sure what you are going to be doing in the next steps as there a sequence that you can brick up your radio (there are plenty of warnings, so, you are not going to do this by accident). What you want to do is to turn on the car (engine can be running, but doesn't need to be). Press and hold the "Valet" button. After about 15 seconds, you should see the radio go into a maintenance mode. From there, I seem to recall there is a calibration mode in there. You may need to use a stylus to press the valet button to be able to have it sense where you need it to. Having the stylus will also be helpful as this will give a better calibration that is a lot more precise.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:20 AM

Thank you, unfortunately I don't find "valet" button Is there another key or key/combinaison to access this mode ?

Old 09-05-2020, 08:56 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Frank, on the home screen, there should be a button in the upper left corner of the screen. Hold that button for 15 seconds or so. It has been awhile since I have had my X-Type, so, trying to remember all the things that I used to do to it.

Old 09-05-2020, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

I am guessing that touchscreen is damaged and you can't calibrate it. I sell touch screens for a living and the touchscreen used at that time was a resistive technology. That top film you touch has a very then coating of a metal (ITO) and when you touch it the film deflects and makes contact to a rear glass that also has ITO. Where it is touched changes tbe resistance across the X and Y axis' and that determines where the touch event happens. If the ITO gets worn or damaged it will give you that fals position. If that is the case you will have to get a new screen. It can't be recalibrated. Not uncommon on something that is 15 years old.

Old 09-07-2020, 03:22 PM

Well, not found yet special option to calibrate, I read someone found by mistake a kind of dots to touch to do this... I was hoping..

Last days, my car stays parked under a strong sun and the sreen was exposed to the hot beams... ...and runs fine ! You're probably right alphadude, maybe something wrong with electronic or in screen assembly (pressure of the mounting frame or kind of joke). I'll try to desassemble it but I shoud replace clutch first.

I'll feedback when I'll find... ;-) Thanks for answers

Old 11-09-2020, 05:00 PM

Hi,

Finally, I found a nice guy in my neighbourhood how's selling X-Type parts. I replaced my driver's seat belt fastener who's damaged, and the upper part of the central console (to keep my radio/CD module and keep the pin code of this).

Just 1 hour needed to change this (..I took my time !) and... It works fine :-)

Really a nice car