X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touch Screen Erratic

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 02:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Touch Screen Erratic

Jaguar 2007 2.5l V6 AWD. Touch screen when pushed does nothing or flashes another button but doesn't choose it... hope that makes sense. Disconnected battery and joined terminals for 1 min, made no difference, now the radio code is asked for (which I have) but it won't allow me to push any buttons, screen won't accept any touches to enter the radio code, will work sort of on heat, other buttons of menu and Nav won't be accepted either! Thanks.Id there a reset for this system? tried the 3 button to override radio code but didn't work. Please help!

Old 11-04-2019, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Based on your description of you push it in one spot and the touch registers in another place I am guessing your touch screen is going bad. That is a resistive touchscreen used in there. The top layer you touch is a polyester film that has a vaporized metal on the back side. When you touch it, it flexes to touch a piece of glass with the with the same kind of metal on it. By measuring the resistance in the X and Y direction you can determine where the touch is. Over time from either use or abuse that metal can start to wear away or can get damaged and then that is when you might see the touch registering in a different spot. It might help it you would press really hard when touching it. That could help a bit for a while. Does the screen lok like it is kind of scratched up or burnish/polished in certain areas from touching in the same spot so many times?

If it is the metal wearing away what you might be able to figure out by trial and error is touching in one spot and then seeing where the touch registers, then adjusting where you touch until it lights up the function you want. probably would be a big pain, but it that is the reason it is failing, then your only remedy would be to replace the whole module as I doubt you would be able to fine a direct plug and play replacement touchscreen. You might find something close, but not exact and the tail would be the wrong length and/or in the wrong position. I sell touch screens for a living and we get calls occasionally from someone that is trying to replace a broken touchscreen.

I wish you luck.

Old 11-04-2019, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 759 Likes on 676 Posts

One other possibility is, mine did it once, I ejected the trunk DVD, waited a bit, reinserted and let it reset and screen works (2+years now).