Sponsored by:

Transfer Case Click In Reverse Only

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Transfer Case Click In Reverse Only

Greetings,

Thanks for this nice forum.

I got an 03 x type and I love it. But suddenly I have a loud click in reverse, seemingly from the transfer case.

I'm starting a new thread because I can't find a similar thread to post this to. There are everything from whining noises to out and out explosions, but no "click".

Being a newcomer here, I skimmed each and every one of the 271 threads you get when you search "Transfer Case" and read every one that seemed likely to have an answer. Not one of them did.

I have a CLICK sound, once per wheel revolution, coming from what I am 90% sure is my transfer case.

The noise is fairly loud.

Only in reverse.

Do y'all think I need a new T Case?

One possibility: Maybe I have no fluid in there?

What could make a click in the t case, once per revolution? A bearing?

Methinks I might need a transfer case. I hope you gurus will have an easier solution. Or maybe you will just end the speculation and say yeah, you need a transfer case. In which case I hope someone like jag_genius has one left to sell me so I don't have to worry about a questionable one.

Thanks very much. Much obliged. Zyggo.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Banned

First..Thing, is have it checked out by a knowledgeable Mechanic..It may be a CV joint..or something simple...And of Course it could be the TC case..good luck, post back with what you find out.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:14 PM

My first guess, and my pals all said it was a cv joint. But I don't think so now. It only happens in reverse, and it sure sounds like the noise is coming from the transfer case.

I read in some other threads about the viscous coupling. Could it click?

Also I suspected the brake adjuster since it only happens in reverse. Or maybe a stuck e-brake. But these noises would all come from the rear right?

Thanks!

Old 09-03-2009, 07:31 AM
Banned

No Brake adjusters on these cars, they have disc brakes front and rear..How can you be certain it's the TC while it's moving, unless your ear was right next to it?...Have it checked out.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Colt
No Brake adjusters on these cars, they have disc brakes front and rear..How can you be certain it's the TC while it's moving, unless your ear was right next to it?...Have it checked out.
Ha ha! Forgot - no adjusters.

I used a stethoscope with car jacked and running to determine noise is coming from TC.

I guess my question is should I just go for a TC? Has anyone here had this symptom?

I read every thread I could find here and I didn't see any about transfer cases making a clicking noise. Whines, heat, smoke, explosions, yes. Clicks, no.

Thanks!

Old 09-03-2009, 09:04 AM

Sorry for replying to my own post but I have a thought...

I'm going to disconnect the rear driveshaft and see if the noise goes away. Maybe the noise is coming from the coupling. What do you think?

Doesn't it seem weird that the noise is only in reverse? Maybe it's the coupling?

Thanks!

Last edited by zyggo; 09-03-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:07 PM

That's how I had my first T/C diagnosed by the dealer. They disconnected the drive shaft from the T/C and isolated the noise that way. If the noise is indeed coming from your T/C, then they will recommend replacing it as they are not trained to repair that "Sealed for Life" piece of garbage.

If your powertrain is still under warranty, then I highly recommend that you visit the dealer and have your T/C replaced. If not, then you may want to think about it because the dealer bill will be around $4,000.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Zyggo, I have almost a simliar problem. Instead of clicking noise I hear a loud thump, sometimes it makes the sound and sometimes it doesn't. I went through a whole bunch of crap with the dealership when I was under warranty and they refused to acknowledge the fact that it was abnormal. They kep telling me its normal. Last time I remember, a POS kia doesn't even make noises like that.

Anyways, after visiting 3 different dealerships in three different city's and being told three different stories, I finally got one dealership to acknowledge it isnt normal and that it might be my drive shaft going bad.

They replaced the drive shaft under warranty and it got rid of the loud thump but you still kind of heard it... So when the problem came back again I took it back to them they claimed it was normal... Tell me what sense that crap makes? lol

So I have made the conclusion it must be the T/C. I figure it can't do too much damage to the car because sometimes it doesn't do it at all and sometimes it does it.

I can't afford to dish out a few grand on a T/C.

Ride it till the wheels fall off... Screw it

Old 09-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,907 Likes on 3,210 Posts

zyggo, it may be the CV joint up against the transfer case, could be the U-joint up near the transfer case. Anything that is mechanically coupled to the transfer case could be causing the noise to emanate from the TC. With the stethoscope, you should be able to put it on each of the bearings and see if one is louder than the others. The bearing that is the loudest is your starting point. From there, you can check the CV joint and U-joints for any slop. For the TC to only make the clicking sound in one direction, I can only think of one piece that would cause this and it would be the gear between the final drive and the spline that the half shafts fit into. Because it is in sync with the rotation of the tire, it has to be something attached to the driveshaft/half shafts.

Hopefully this gets you a bit closer to finding your problem.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:42 PM

JagXType: Yeah, I have a click, not a thump. But I smiled at your "Ride it till the wheels fall off approach!"

Thermo: YEAH! That makes sense. Who knows, maybe it's not the TC. What would you think if I take the driveshaft off and try it again?

Thank you!

Old 09-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Veteran member

Zyggo, I would think that as long as you are minimizing the time, all should be good.

Another thing that just popped into my head that you may want to look at is the retaining straps on the CV boots. if the tabs have gotten bent somehow, they could be touching the transfer case/block and then as the CV shafts rotate, they come in contact with the large metal structure, making your ticking sound. One of those things that has driven other people bonkers for a simple fix.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:56 PM

Hey Sevren I missed your post. I guess disconnecting the drive shaft will help. Thank you.

Thermo what do you mean about minimizing time? Do you mean not driving it in reverse more than absolutely necessary?

I will look at the retaining straps on the CV boots. If they could make contact with the TC I think it would make that exact noise.

Maybe something is contacting the driveshaft and it's transmitting back to the TC as well.

Can't thank you all enough!

Old 09-05-2009, 06:05 AM
Veteran member

zyggo, I am thinking that minimizing time while on the jackstands with the wheels off the ground and the driveshaft removed would be advisable. You are shifting the power distribution inside the transfer case (ie, nothing on the rear drive) and this can cause different loading on parts. Normal every day driving, I wouldn't worry.

As for the clicking only occurring 1 way with a bent tab, if the tab is at an angle, if it makes contact will then tend to fold down where going the other way it will touch, grab and try to fold it over. The act of trying to fold it over will cause a louder noise. Doesn't always happen.

Since you are under the car, may want to grease the carrier bearing on the rear driveshaft. If you look at the rear driveshaft, about half way down you will see a loop around the driveshaft. Because the rear differential is powered by a 2 piece rear driveshaft (due to length), Jag needed to put a support there. Some members have had a noise coming from the bearing, but I seem to recall most of them complained about a noise coming from right behind the front seats, not the TC. But, if you are under the car, quick and easy thing to do. All you need that is special is a needle attachment to a grease gun. Slide the needle between the skirt on the outside of the bearing and add some grease.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:53 PM

Mine does the same thing....I was going to make a thread but I choose to ignore it and live with the clicking noise. How ever when i go over speed bumps i do hear a squeaking noise could that also be coming from the source of the clicking ?

Old 09-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Veteran member

jessy, could be, could not be related. hard to say. Normally a squeaking noise is complements of a bushing that doesn't have enough lube to it. That or a shock that is starting to go. Is the squeaking noise coming from the front or the rear? The rear shocks on our cars are known for squeaking on large bumps.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:00 AM

Thanks for the additional advice. I'm really hoping I can figure this out. Hi Jessy, I am glad I started this thread - here you are with the same situation!

I'll report back as soon as I get a chance to test these things.

Thanks!

Old 09-07-2009, 08:34 PM

DARN IT. I misdiagnosed something. This doesnt make just a single click per revolution. It was, but now it's more like clickety, clickety... Oh well, sorry to mislead you. Tomorrow I will know more and report back.

Thanks.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:03 PM

I am not so much concerned with the squeaks but more with the clicks so um guessing its the cv joint or sumthing overlaping

Old 09-08-2009, 09:04 PM

Well, disconnected the driveshaft and it still clicks. I guess it's the transfer case.

I could either sell this as a project car - I can't lie, even to strangers.

Or I could go for it. I'm having a very hard time locating one.

Thanks!

Old 09-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Banned

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Click In Reverse Only