X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer case oil change write-up now hosted

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 04:59 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rclangelan
I just left mine original sealant on too. Did not clean or replace.

Is this going to cause leaks?
I would think so...but the only way to confirm is to check it periodically for signs of leaking fluid from the plug.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:13 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by disguay
myjag, what you are experiencing is the difference between the transfer cases in 2004 and up x types. Because the 2003 and below were notorious for having transfer case problems, jaguar decided to change the case around a little bit and reduce the flexing on the transfer case. In doing so, they got rid of the viscous coupling inside of the transfer case which I personally believe is what gave the x type the majority of the awd. Many members on this forum have different opinions as to which transfer case is better and they are all right in their reasoning, but one thing is for sure... The 2004 and up xcases are more reliable, yet they also seem to be more of a rear wheel drive car than an awd car which is what you are experiencing. So to answer your question, your car is fine if the front wheels are not spinning, it just means your transfer case will probably last longer

Also I would like to suggest to do something with the member "kalkoperth." He only has one post, no introduction, his post is faulty, and is advertising in his post which is in a highly viewed thread. Just my thought.
So, do you know if the 04 and up cases are stronger than the older cases (the actual case) or if they got rid of the viscous coupling because that's what was causing the flex. I ask, because I'm thinking if the case itself is stronger and they got rid of the viscous coupling for some other reason, it might be possible to put the viscous coupling internals into the stronger case and have the best of both.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by rclangelan
I just left mine original sealant on too. Did not clean or replace.

Is this going to cause leaks?

phftt!

99.44% sure you are OK.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:03 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

What I'm wondering is how do you know how much to put in? Ok so you drain it out and replace with the amount that drained out, but what if it was low to begin with? How would you know? I have an 04 automatic too and I'm not sure I'd be able to get one of these pipe fittings to fit. I could just squeeze some oil in there but not sure how much or if too much would be bad too.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member

There is no reason to believe what you get out is the right amount. When I opened mine up, none ran out. So using the "same in as you got out" in my case would mean I put nothing in there and by doing so, changed my xfer case fluid.

I am convinced the 20 inch lift is the right way to install the correct amount. Jack up the left side of the car until the bottom of the body work that is in line with the front edge of the front door is 20 inches high. Take out the transfer case plug and add fluid until it runs back out. Then replace the plug. All the flushing and fittings and valves seem an extra complication to me, and I think may be impossible on the automatic transmission. There is just no room for it.

I did mine during an engine oil change. Then the next time I changed the engine oil I jacked up the right side of the car 20 inches to drain xfer case fluid out. Then lowered that side back down and raised the left side and added fresh fluid to the xfer case as above. The first time I did I measured the fluid that went until it was full and it was about 400 ml. The procedure says about 200 ml remain in the xfer case when you drain. So that would be about 600 ml total after drain and fill.

And to answer your question, yes, too much in there would be way bad.

Last edited by AlfaVeloce; 10-31-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:10 PM

Ok thank. Your way sounds easier than trying to find all those parts at a hardware store. I'm confused though. So first you lift up one side to drain it out, then you lift up the other side and fill it up till it pours out... while it's still lifted up in the air or when it's level? I'm just wondering do you lift the opposite side up to fill it till it starts to overflow? Thanks.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, Zach not sure where you live but assuming you're a US Jag owner and your steering is on the left side as you sit in the car....
Jack up the passenger side to drain the transfer case. High as you can safely get it. 20+ inches is good. Chances are if you get any fluid out, it will be nasty looking. In my case, I got none out. So I added some until I got it come out. I think I put 50 ml in there before any ran out, so there was no more than 150 ml in there of the 600ml that I should have had. Pretty low. And that was with no leaks, then or now. It was just gone, evaporated.

Now, you can just leave the plug out for now. No worries. All you're going to get out of it is now in your drain pan. Lower the car back down. Move your jack and all over to the driver side. Jack it up until the bottom of the car just behind the front wheel is 20 or so inches off the floor. You don't have to shoot that 20 inches in with a laser and transit. There are other variables playing here. I'd say, not 19, not 21, but 20-ish inches. Not that critical. The first time I did it, I wanted to measure it so I put 500 ml in a measuring cup and pumped it out of the cup and up into the transfer case with a fluid pump I got at the auto parts store. I pumped it until it ran back out of the hole. I don't remember now but I got like 400, 450 ml or so in there. I put the plug back in. It does not have to be gorilla tight. Just snuggly. I'd betcha you can crack that case open if you get the plug too tight. Lower the car last, after you are all buttoned up. You're done. If you didn't like the ugly look of any fluid you got out during the drain, drain and fill again the next time you change engine oil.

I used synthetic 75W-140. Royal Purple.

If this was worth anything to you, be sure to click that Thanks button-->

Last edited by AlfaVeloce; 10-31-2013 at 11:39 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by AlfaVeloce:
04xtype04 (11-01-2013), CyJag (03-20-2017), Jag4 (04-23-2017), jimborino (07-20-2014), vegang (05-31-2022)
Old 11-01-2013, 01:05 AM

Alright thank you! Sounds good... Will give it a try when I can.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:25 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>Jack up the passenger side to drain the transfer case. High as you can safely get it. 20+ inches is good.

Well I suppose you could do that to make sure that all the old fluid drained out, but it kind of seems a waste. Just remove the drain plug with the car level on a lift and nearly all the fluid will drain out.

Them, after waiting a bit, place the blocks under the left side of the car and lower it down so that the left side is 20" higher than the right (i.e.., the drain hole is now facing upwards). Then add fluid until it starts running out. Replace the plug, raise the car, remove the blocks, lower the car and you're done.

Easy peasy
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 11-01-2013, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 354 Posts

[QUOTE=pab;845159Just remove the drain plug with the car level on a lift and nearly all the fluid will drain out.
Easy peasy
[/QUOTE]

If only it was so easy peasy! If the transfer box is drained through the so called drainplug, there will be 250 mls of fluid left in the box. I know this to be so as I have fitted an additional drain point at the lowest point in my t'box and have checked it very carefully!

Now that might count as 'nearly all out', for some but it's nearly 50% to me and if not removed severely reduces the effect of what should, for best results, be a complete oil change.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:22 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by astromorg
I I have fitted an additional drain point at the lowest point in my t'box and have checked it very carefully!

Got any pictures of that?...I think that is cool and if you could also explain how you went about installing that drain, as it could benefit many X-type owners here..

Old 11-02-2013, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 354 Posts

I've put it in a new post

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-point-105687/

Last edited by astromorg; 11-02-2013 at 06:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DPK (11-02-2013)
Old 11-02-2013, 06:28 PM

Another idea I was thinking is what if you just used like a plastic grocery bag to create a watertight seal then then with a hose pumped in the amount of fresh oil you needed and then quickly put the bolt back on? It would be messy but it seems like it would work in theory.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:32 PM

So the differential only takes a little over half a quart of gear oil? (550ml?) Also would Lucas synthetic gear oil work? They make good stuff.

Last edited by 04xtype04; 11-03-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:41 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by zach.wheaton
So the differential only takes a little over half a quart of gear oil? (550ml?)
Yepper, you mean Transfer Case..and in most cases, people are finding their TC either almost empty or about 300ml left..So the sooner one get's to it and refill it with some decent Synthetic gear lube (I used Royal Purple), the TC usually ends up failing sooner than expected.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:45 PM

Alright cool thanks. I will move that up to the top of my priority list.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:41 PM

Good news, I was able to add some fluid to the transfer case. Looked like it was low because none leaked out. Filled it up and took it for a spin and it shifts and drives a lot smoother. Seems like it revs easier now. Glad I checked it out. I would have been rolling dry for a while.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:46 AM
DPK
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by zach.wheaton
Good news, I was able to add some fluid to the transfer case. Looked like it was low because none leaked out. Filled it up and took it for a spin and it shifts and drives a lot smoother. Seems like it revs easier now. Glad I checked it out. I would have been rolling dry for a while.
After a few hundred miles..Try the 'tip the car' from the right side and drain as much of the old fluid out and tip the car back from the left side and add about 400-500 ml and you should be good to go for a good while then.

Just a note:...so many worry about getting the exact amount in..It really is not that critical..too much is better than not enough..If you drain all you can from the drain hole..there is supposedly about 250 ml left....if you tip the car as far as you can from the left side and fill, you may get in about 500ml plus what was already in there...this is what I did and never had a problem,..But by the time you wrestle getting the plug back in you'll lose a couple ml anyway... it's not like the crankcase of an engine, where over filling can damage the engine...So don't sweat it if you think you over filled a little..some have a vent at the top and the excess will ooze out there sometimes...I never had any excess leakage.

Last edited by DPK; 11-04-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:50 AM

Alright thanks for the advice. I did do the tilt method, but I used the spare jack because that is all I had around at the time. It did help with filling though, I was able to get more in there. I should probably get a proper jack at some point. In a few months I was going to drain and fill it again like you said. Noticed the magnetic plug had some silver metal goo stuck to it. Cleaned that all off real well. I think I checked it just in time. Drives so much smoother now and feels better knowing there is some fresh oil in there. Next job on the list is the transmission fluid.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

Zach PLEASE do NOT get back under that car without proper safe jacking. You can lift it with any jack, a true floor jack is best, but the key thing is some kind of block to keep it from falling on you. Jack stands are inexpensive and widely available. And hold the car up securely.

Quick Reply: Transfer case oil change write-up now hosted