X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer Case Seal

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 10:08 AM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Transfer Case Seal

After having my transmission rebuilt last May, there has been a persistent slow leak of fluid. It is most noticeable when parked at a stop light after driving for a few minutes. If the climate control is set to allow outside air to come in, you can smell burning fluid as it drips onto the exhaust.

I have taken the car back to the AAMCO center where it was repaired several times and the issue is still there. I took it to a local Firestone a couple weeks ago where they employ a mechanic who used to work at the local Jaguar dealership. It took him 2 minutes to diagnose it as definitely a transmission fluid leak. He said the most likely cause was a damaged seal between the transfer case and transmission that was allowing transfer case fluid to flow into the transmission, causing the transmission to overflow and vent the excess fluid.

Following this diagnosis, I took the car back to AAMCO for probably the 10th time and told them in a not-so-pleasant tone that I would be dropping it off the week of January 13th before I left for vacation and that it had better be complete when I return.

My question now is, will they be able to replace this seal in the transfer case with some sort of seal replacement kit or will they have to source a new transfer case?

Old 12-30-2013, 10:59 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Umm, sorry, but I'm not sure that either the Firestone guy understood what was happening or that he explained it well. That's because, as far I know, there is no connectionsbetween the trans and the transfer case, they are independent, sealed, components.

It sure sounds like ATF is leaking from somewhere but I really don't think it has anything to do with the transfer case, other than the transfer case being in the way of everything on the bottom of the engine and that complicates things...

================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 12-30-2013, 11:41 AM

Well, from what I've heard on this forum, there is a seal that can be damaged when changing the front CV joints if you pull the half shaft out too much. I believe this is what he was referring to, but I could be wrong. Either way, he was a Jag tech so I'm inclined to trust his diagnosis.

I might be mistaken but perhaps someone who knows what he meant can chime in. I'm just trying to get an idea of how involved this process is and what AAMCO is going to have to do.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:38 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

First, AAMCO doesn't know what they're doing. Get the car away from them before they do some real damage.

Second, you're leaking fluid out so if it were leaking from the Xfer case to the trans or vice versa then why is it ending up on your exhaust??? If you're very lucky it may be just a case of overfilling the Xfer case. For the trans to overflow you'd have to completely fill the trans because the vent is on top and there just isn't enough fluid in the Xfer case to do that.

You have to take it to someone who knows.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:52 PM

Ok, at this point staying away from AAMCO is no longer an option. I paid over $3000 to have my transmission rebuilt last May when it went. Do I now wish I would have taken it somewhere else? Yes, but there's nothing that can be done about that now. I'm returning there over and over because of the warranty. I'm not about to take my car somewhere else and pay another couple thousand to get this fixed properly. I'm giving them an ultimatum here; they have the week of my vacation to fix it properly or I will get my money back one way or another and take it somewhere else.

As far as the leak, I am simply going off what I was told by a Jag tech. Perhaps the leak is going from the transmission to the transfer case instead and I misunderstood him. Either way, I know that when the transfer case vents excess fluid it drips out onto the exhaust pipe because of where it's located. This seems like the likely scenario to me as I've been to AAMCO repeatedly to have the leak fixed and they keep blaming a different seal on the transmission, yet it always still leaks when I get it back.

Since my transfer case is not exhibiting any problems besides the leak, I was just wondering if anyone knew where to get some replacement seals.

Last edited by emaraszek; 12-30-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:09 PM

I found a place called Cobra Transmission, emailed someone there, and was told they'd send me all the seals needed for the transfer case for $39.99 plus shipping. I'll mention this to AAMCO if they give me any trouble about these seals.

The guy I emailed asked for my VIN before providing me with any information so it seems like he has the correct parts.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:29 PM

Being American I know you will never buy anything from outside the US, but this might help with the part numbers and these guys know what they're talking about. I'm in Canada and I buy from them often.

Gearbox | Jaguar X Type | British Parts UK

The following users liked this post:
emaraszek (01-17-2014)
Old 12-30-2013, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the link, I wouldn't mind ordering from outside the US but I think my biggest issue would be the waiting period for shipping.

That being said, it's good to know the necessary seals are readily available and I will pass along any information I can to AAMCO. At this point, it's their responsibility to find and fit the correct parts by any means necessary, in the time allotted, and finally remedy this situation.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:00 AM

Ok the problem has been confirmed as a bad internal seal on the transfer case, allowing transmission fluid to flow into the TC and vent out.

The problem now is locating a replacement seal. Can anyone who has done the rebuild point me to someone who sells these? AAMCO is having a hard time locating one and told me that Jaguar does not publish these specs.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by emaraszek
Ok the problem has been confirmed as a bad internal seal on the transfer case, allowing transmission fluid to flow into the TC and vent out.

The problem now is locating a replacement seal. Can anyone who has done the rebuild point me to someone who sells these? AAMCO is having a hard time locating one and told me that Jaguar does not publish these specs.
I've already told you.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:35 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I believe this is the part:-
Oil Seal - C2S5132 | Jaguar X Type | Jaguar | British Parts UK

They will need to remove the transfer box in order to fit the seal. There might be two seals needed, both the same.

Googling the part number may find you a US supplier or quote the pt no at your Jaguar dealer.

emaraszek (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

I see Jagbits has them for $7.30.

emaraszek (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 08:23 PM

Thanks to all who have responded, I will pass on this info to the shop.

Tony, sorry I didn't mean to imply you didn't answer my question. I had heard from a few places that supposedly had the seals but they ended up having only the external seals which aren't what I need. Thanks for your response though.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:45 PM
Received 8,318 Likes on 5,020 Posts

The right hand axle shaft needs to slide though the transfer case BEFORE the retaining clip is installed on the splined end so the seal is NOT DAMAGED.

Maybe this is where the problem started.
The shaft does NOT need to be removed to just separate the transfer case from the gearbox. Here is an excerpt from TSB XT307-S941.............See page 14

CAUTION: THE TRANSFER CASE LINK SHAFT SHOULD ONLY BE EXTRACTED BY A MAXIMUM OF 200 MILLIMETER OR DAMAGE WILL OCCUR TO THE INTERNAL SEAL.
Using special tools 100-012 and 100-012-03 displace transfer case link shaft.

bob gauff

Attached Files
Old 01-18-2014, 03:14 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Looking at the info provided by Motorcarman I am not sure now that the pt no C2S5132 is correct for the required seal. C2S5132 is the "O" ring between the transfer case and transmission whereas I now believe the required seal is a more conventional seal. Its removal is shown at the bottom of page 16 of the document linked by Motorcarman.
At the top of page 16 is shown the "O" ring which I think is pt no C2S5132.
The linked document does not seem to show a pt no for the required seal.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:48 AM
Received 8,318 Likes on 5,020 Posts

The linked document will not show the internal seal because replacement requires disassemble of the transfer case. As a dealer mechanic we did NOT disassemble components, just ordered a replacement unit from the parts dept and installed!!!!!!

There was a good write-up of a transfer case rebuild a few years ago. It's somewhere in the archives.

I never damaged a seal so I never needed to replace one, only entire transfer cases for failed units (bearings etc.).

bob gauff

Old 01-19-2014, 07:54 PM

Thanks Bob, unfortunately it is the internal seal that was already damaged due to improper handling. The shop has it disassembled right now but cannot find a replacement seal. Any idea where we can get one or should I tell them to replace the t-case?

Old 01-20-2014, 11:44 AM

I just heard back from AAMCO. They told me that they were unable to find a replacement internal seal so they had one custom-made.

Thank you to all those who responded, but as I suspected, this seal is the major obstacle for anyone rebuilding their transfer case. Unfortunately since Jaguar expects you to simply "buy a new case" and therefore does not publish the specs of the transfer case internals, it is extremely difficult to obtain the correct part. Perhaps there is a company out there that sells the correct seal, but if a nation-wide transmission shop couldn't find it, I would bet it's a difficult thing to come by.

If anyone else is interested, I will ask them for more information on this custom seal when I go pick up my car either later today or tomorrow.